Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ethereal + Kroot
Old 07 Jul 2007, 20:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Ethereal + Kroot

Is there any reason that you couldn't attach an Ethereal to unit of Kroot, making them Fearless?
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2007, 20:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Ethereal + Kroot

Fluff=the Kroot don't value the Ethereals like the Tau do- it wouldn't mean anything for them.

Rules= they can't join non-tau units.
Old 07 Jul 2007, 22:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
Fluff=the Kroot don't value the Ethereals like the Tau do- it wouldn't mean anything for them.

Rules= they can't join non-tau units.
Where did you get that idea? I don't remeber reading ANYTHING in the codex saying that they couldn't join non-Tau infantry. The ethereals can join any unit they want. It just doesn't always make sense for them to (crisis suits and vespid being a good example) An ethereal could join a kroot squad (and grant them fearless) in a fluffy manner, too: The kroot were PAID to protect the ethereal at a bloody astronomical price... perhaps even given permission to feed on anyone who dared attack their leader... And such fee to be paid to their kindred upon their death.

This might actually make them a fairly nasty combat unit: Give the ethereal an honor blade, upgrade the unit with a shaper, and you could throw out a nasty 63 S4 attacks and 4 S5 attacks on the charge. With fearless the most they'll lose is 3 kroot from combat resolution, and that would take a lot of models. Hell, give the ethereal an EMP grenade too just to **** with your enemy: See him gasp as your ethereal blows the assault cannon off of his land-raider :P
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2007, 23:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

i'll look over the rules again- but i'm pretty sure the Ethereal can't join.

And besides that, Tau paying kroot with the concept of eating enemies- you do realize the Tau look down on that sort of thing and thats why Kroot society has lead to becoming mercenaries. But i'll double check and post back.
Old 07 Jul 2007, 23:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

hey hey hey! Looks like I read it wrong- only Tau may gain the fearless upgrade and the effects of being LOS with the Ethereal, however he can join friendly units! Ha- so maybe you could make an awesome conversion and great background- fantastic!
Old 08 Jul 2007, 00:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Glad that works out. I wasn't sure on the Fearless, but regardless he's still a LD10 Independant Character, which can be a VERY nice boost for an assault-ish squad like Kroot.

The thing about giving explicit permission to feed is exactly what I meant: The Tau are so stalwart on defending their ethereal, as long as the Kroot keep him alive their willing to waive a few tendancies. Considering how firm they are on Kroot serving with them NOT consuming the enemy, this could be a very powerful bribe.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2007, 04:48   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The rule for Kroot eating the dead only applies to Kroot Mercs not Tau Empire. It does say that any Tau unit becomes fearless, I missed that part, but Ld 10 isn't bad.
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2007, 05:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Mitch: the noob

also, im pretty sure fluff wise, that tau uh... wouldnt be paying the Kroot at all :-[
they have been "assimilated" and dont get paid anymore, they just earn their way up the Tau Respect meter :

but still, fluff wise it still makes sence
but who's taking an etheral anyway? ???
Old 08 Jul 2007, 06:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

My only question is...why are you using an ethereal to begin with...its just about the most worthless model in the game...

C/-Rt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2007, 10:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch: the noob
also, im pretty sure fluff wise, that tau uh... wouldnt be paying the Kroot at all :-[
The kroot are mercenaries. They may be exclusive mercenaries to the Tau, but their still mercenaries.