Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Combined Arms VS. Weapons Specialization
Old 07 Jul 2007, 16:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Combined Arms VS. Weapons Specialization

After reading one particular comment on this, I started thinking about how a Tau army performs compared to other armies, and what weapons configurations work. However, I realized that I was just comparing one weapon to another based on points cost, without looking at the big picture. I got out an old pad of graph paper and began drawing out battle plans based on what weapons I was considering, and realised that I was just repeating a standard of pulse(kroot rifles)/plasma/missile/rail shots, without any of the other, equally powerful weapons.

I tried again, this time theorizing for MULTIPLE weapon/unit types; I dropped a railhead for a sky ray, dropped one of the units of pathfinders for fusion piranhas and vespids, dropped some of my kroot (I always try to max out on them) for more Fire warriors and a warfish (which I had never used before), and took more crisis suits. Interestingly enough, against all armies this did better; vespids did nasty things to necrons, which I then assaulted with kroot so I could use the vespid on other units; the fire warriors took out light skimmers and transports my kroot wouldn't have been able to scratch; the sky ray successfully took out four different medium tanks(thanks to pathfinders and sniper drones), where my railhead would have only been able to target one, (and possibly missed)...AND the sky ray was able to cheaply strafe infantry with 6 BS5 Burst cannon shots without me worrying about losing it, as it had already launched all of it's missiles...but the Railhead still kept up by killing big tanks and pie-plating swarm squads (the latter, mostly...piranhas took out several tanks themselves) Even if they took out one option, it still left me with some workable room to still perform the same tasks.

What approach do you find better; Specializing your army with specific weapons sets, or taking many and multiple different approaches with armaments and units? How has this worked, both combat-wise and tactically? List examples are appreciated for purposes of analysis.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2007, 19:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO Venom
Default Re: Combined Arms VS. Weapons Specialization

This is were the Tau rule against any body!!
and realy anybody!! They have a unit that works best against anything that can be thrown at them. Though the Tau are SH1T is CC the kroot are not... but the Kroot are bad a shooting. They need a mobile weapon that can harm a unit then attack Kroot and Vespid work great together.
FW can take out transports and light tanks as well as the Skyray doing the same job. you dont need Railheads or millions of S10 AP 1 shots. You need a good stratagie with the Tau and a army list that can back up its weakspots and streghten it self if disaster strikes.

I uses list that are fun to play with and can strike when they need to where and when they need to.
Ill PM you a list i use tomorrow if youd like me to Damian_Alpha?

Venom!!
(¸.• (¸.•
ShasO Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2007, 19:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

I don't think there can be specialization at all in a Tau army.

My list that I'm using noiw has 4 crisis suits (1 Fireknife, 1 Helios, 1 Deathrain and 1 CIB/PR) Each has a purpose buit can assist in another purpose as well. The Helios can handle vehicles and MEQs. The Fire knife for MEQs and Vehicles, the Deathrain for light trainsports and the CIB/PR is good for MEQs and GEQs. EVeryone covers each others field of operation. My mounted FWs eat GEQs alive but when you concentrate their fire, they can be effective against MEQs as well. the Fusion blaster piranha in the army can go straight for the enemies vehicles with a railhead following up. The railhead meanwhile can also cover GEQs nicely with a pair of BCs on it. Following that is the Ion cannon with Missile pods which eats the MEQs and GEQs up pretty well, but is also effective against light vehicles. My Sniper Drones can slow enemy infantry down while the my Steath Suits can then close in and put the hurt on that pinned unit or any other GEQs nearby. Lastly my Gue'Vesa are underestimated by the enemy and so can get into rapid fire range. It may only be S3, but 18S3 and the pair of Carbines in there at S5 will kill someone in its barrage. Especially GEQs.

To me, that sounds like what you described Specialization because I didn't bring Kroot and Vespid, but I see Combined arms in there. I didn't just field 108 Firewarriors who simple handled everything by volume of fire. You've got good ideas, but I think its unfair to call an army without kroot or vespid as "soecialized" and not simply a different form of combined arms.
Old 07 Jul 2007, 21:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I use combined arms.. our units are kinda too inflexible for any other way to work...

I mean, apart from fireknives and railheads, our units are (or can only be fitted) to do one thing relatively well. Even then, fireknives and railheads, as good as they are, are actually not spectacular against much.. except maybe when it comes to the railhead vs. light-med. infantry. The Tau IMO, really depend on a combined arms approach, utilizing all our units (krootox & vespid aside). Our flexible units are, I think better used to fill the gaps and round out our list against variable threats.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2007, 22:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

I'd love to see a list if you can drop one for me, venom.

Anyhow, I do see what you were talking about Dragonus. However, my "specialized" 2500 point list consisted as follows:
1 Sunforge+ Shas'el
2 Sunforge+ Shas'ui's
12 stealth suits, bonded
1 unit of 6 FW
100 kroot
2 Pathfinder Teams (W/ Devilfish)
2 Railheads
3 Sniper Teams

It primarily was Kroot and Railheads to kill massed infantry, with pathfinders and sniper teams pinning down enemy units left and right. Crisis suits and stealth suits jumped on the enemy, and shredded anyone who got past the sea of kroot. It worked okay, but if those two railheads went down I would be overrun by anything with medium to high armor, and the kroot were not able to kill a lot of the big stuff like carnifi and wraithlords, which blocked up my LOS.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2007, 07:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

no "r" in my name .

Well I think the flaw in that 2500 pt list is essentially that it lacks enough variety and seems to go back to the guardsmen mentality of "200 guardsmen shooting at you will get the job done eventually."