Twin-linked Missile Pod and Flamer 4 21.05%
Twin-linked Missile Pod and Targeting Array 12 63.16%
Other 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06 Jul 2007, 10:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Still can't make my mind up...

I have a team of three "deathrain" crisis suits and I can't figure out how I want them kitted. I've heard way too many things to make up my mind. I was thinking of running them with flamers, but then they're trying to do too much, they aren't specialized enough, and if you ever need to use the flamer then you've done something wrong apparently. Targeting arrays are expensive and in my opinion, don't provide a big enough accuracy boost for it to be worth it, but since the Tau army is all about specializing it makes sense. BSF's seem like a waste of a hardpoint, and I haven't given thought to anything else.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 10:20   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Still can't make my mind up...

I give mine twin missiles and TA. Its cheap, its hardcore, and I nearly always get 2 hits.

If you're using a flamer, you're only getting half the benefit of the long range of the pods, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 12:10   #3 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

TA with 88,88% to hit they become very reliable long range weapon platform.
In their maximal range against MEQ are even better than plasma ( 1 shoot ignoring armor save VS 2 shoots with better S).
Flamers are absolute NO in my book on them , while BSF only if you are short on points.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 12:36   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, let's see here.....

The deathrain as we know it is attractive to many because of its cost in relation to what it does. Thus, in this context, Deathrains are excellent anti-light vehicle platforms, as they are effective and cheap. However, there are several *common ways to equip a Deathrain, and they are;

1)Absolutely nothing: This present us with only the twin-linked missile pod and nothing else. This is an advantage in its own as it is very, very cheap. However, most people feel safer with some weapon system or upgrade on the third hardpoint.

2)Targetting array: An improvement in the BS of a twin-linkd system is a deadly thing indeed., as it presents us with a lower chance of missing something. Thus, it is fair that we can say that we specialize the platform to be even better than usual in its role.

3)Flamer: This equipment is interesting as it allows us to have a fail-safe systm once the opponent comes within assaulting distance. Compare this configuration with the other two, and you will notice that although the Deathrain with flamer is not as accurate as the Deathrain with Targetting Array, but defensively it is better as it can switch to a flamer template and try to flame as many of the assaulters as it can before being assaulted while a deathrain without a Flamer will often have to shoot two insignificant shots towards the assaulters. Thus, from this two comparison, we can see that the flamer equipped deathrain will be able to bring down more of the assaulters than the deathrain that relies ony on its missile pods.

4)Blacksun Filter: The cheapest upgrade for a crisis suit, this offers the Deathrain to shoot a significant distance when in a Night Fight situation, and with the crisis suits Acute Sense, the distace of that can be doubled thus enabling the deathrain to se further.

As for the other upgrades, they are just to expensive or just impractical for a deathrain.

I do no use deathrains often but I would say that for Deathrains, I would go stick with either the Flamer if you are expecting asaulters, or Targetting array if you are fighting a mechanized force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 13:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
1)Absolutely nothing: This present us with only the twin-linked missile pod and nothing else. This is an advantage in its own as it is very, very cheap. However, most people feel safer with some weapon system or upgrade on the third hardpoint.
AND its illegal. A Crisis Suit MUST be equipped with at least three hard points worth of hardware.

I`d, personally, go for the TA. I use it on all my TL Crisis Suits, and I`m happy.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 13:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

I use the TW Pods and flamer on my deathrain just to save points. With the twinlinking, the extra 1 BS is less effective than if it hadn't been TLs.

If I add TA its because I have two different weapon systems so that I can benefit more shots than I'd get off a TA and a TL.

I thought about using Blacksuns to save that 1 extra point, but the flamer does look cool for 1 point and I did use it once. Just once, but those guardsman wished they hadn't gotten so close to my suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Quote:
AND its illegal. A Crisis Suit MUST be equipped with at least three hard points worth of hardware.

I`d, personally, go for the TA. I use it on all my TL Crisis Suits, and I`m happy.
He was referring to Option 1 which was a TL pod and a flamer, which is NOT illegal. that's 3 hard points. His point was that the flamer offers nothing.
Old 06 Jul 2007, 13:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

How long are you going to have this poll open? I say that because I've just started to experiment with the TA Deathrain. I usually use the flamer variant and I would recommend using it, as the flamer has come in handy a few times. I've used the flamer as a last resort against fast assualters or to purge Eldar Pathfinders from heavy cover, and in both cases it works well.

I see no reason to use the BSF, because the points you save are not significant enough and the flamer is a worthwhile thing to have. Also when considering the points cost for the TA don't think of it as a ten point upgrade but of a five point upgrade over the flame variant. Hopefully I can get some games with the TA variant and give a status report.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 14:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Quote:

Read his post again, he is not refering to option 1 otherwise he wouldent have another section on flamers* :
He was referring to Option 1 which was a TL pod and a flamer, which is NOT illegal. that's 3 hard points. His point was that the flamer offers nothing.
Solourus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 15:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

My vote goes to Deathrain and TA (even though I voted "other" by accident :S)

It is a great thing to have a very reliable weapons platform, especially when you have a specific target (rhino or chimera for example) that just needs to go down. For sheer reliability, one is good, though 2 or 3 in a squad would be even better (if I had enough crisis suits).

The same applies to Helios, especially since it only has one shot. Twin linked BS 3 is good, but TL BS 4 will go a lot further in garanteeing that his one shot is on target.
Mr. Trulybored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 15:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to The General

why cant you use normal names like crisis team A and crisis team B not like swiftfire or deathrain... im sorry its just that i dont know all of the "tau esque" names so anyways...
my vote is for TL MP and TA cuz its the best there...
Be Evil.
(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
The General is offline   Reply With Quote