Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What are they...
Old 06 Jul 2007, 08:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Comander crackhead
Default What are they...

as the title says what are Tau. I mean they have hoofs and like four fingers with blue skin i know they evolved seperateley but everything GW sends out is based on something. And are there different Races of Tau (trying not to seem Racist here) like are there red tau green tau... Black Tau (you get the idea right?) ???

and yes i know there government and morals and stuff like that.

If i asked nicely do you think a moderator would give me -1 karma?
Comander crackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 08:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: What are they...

I don't know what the hell they are. GW slapped the hooves on to make them look more alien though, I'm sure. Don't really know what that slit on their head is, either.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 08:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Tau are an alien race. They aren't really based on anything in particular, at least as in the aesthetics of their biology. Basically they appear to be some sort of amphibious creature that rapidly evolved into a land walking... something and then quickly adapted to their particular terrain.

As for different races the Tau don't have hugely varying skin color. From dark grey to light grey and shifting between purble and blue but not really anything else. No red or green etc. They have sub races that are pretty well defined, each Caste is not just a social construction but a racial one too. Firewarriors are genetically bigger and stronger, earth cast smaller and more adept, water cast slimer and taller and the air caste used to have membranous wings under their arms that they could glide on but now have acclimated so greatly to zero gravity that their bodies are very slight of build to the point where it's uncomfortable for them to remain in gravity for too long. However whether the sub-races can inter breed or whether they have evolved past that capability is unknown. GW is sparing on such details as usual.

The slit on their forehead has some biological purpose that my brain can't quite remember at almost 5 in the morning. The Etherials have a bone ridge there that the other sub-races do not and it apparently has something to do with their strange abilities but there are many theories on that that I need not get into now.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 09:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well... I always thought the head slit was similar to a nose or pheromonal detector that you find on certain animals, quite a few fish.
Not sure about varying skin colours, but each of the castes is a different subpecies, like the difference between a Collie and a German Shepherd, if that makes sense.
Old 06 Jul 2007, 17:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to The General

the slits on there head is there nose which is why tau dont like to laugh while drinking milk... think of it like a fan of milk coming out of there head when they laugh and drink...
Be Evil.
(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 20:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

ew...
In all likelihood they are a combination of species just like we are- i mean, don't we have a little reptile/primate in all of us? They're probably some kind of amphibian/bovid due to their ability to survive in warmer climates, such as deserts, while they have a herd/vegetarian disposition.
Old 06 Jul 2007, 20:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Prime-dromedary-bovine-apes.

Well, that's our closest analogue, IMO.

Cobalt based blood-analogue.

Their nasal receptors are quite well developed. Their eyes see a wider spectrum but lack dilatory pupils. Blue skin? I dunno. I suspect the 'skin colourations' of the Tau might go grey-blue-green-black. With the Tau who're almost never in natural daylight (if anything actually affects their pigmentation) being grey, with the ancient-plain-dwelling Tau who're exposed on a lengthy daily basis being close to the same colour of 'black' skin as the folks here on Earth who've the darkest skin. Probably alot more leathery than human skin.

"But, did I see that right, green?"

Well, I like to think the 'tanned' Tau skin goes greenish!

But as Calmsword says, they're basically the 'Old One Humanoid' form, which we can assume is roughly 'primate', regardless of being 'mammillian' or 'reptillian'. Even if they weren't a specific plan or intent of the Old Ones, they certainly seem to be conforming to the same template that the Old Ones' used in many of their more long-lasting designs.

Old 06 Jul 2007, 20:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

mmm, you've read xenology-

I honestly think that the whole two arms two legs one head bit is just the best way for life to evolve- its not too advanced and its not too complicated- just right. If you buy into the Old One concept too much you have to ask why the Necrontyr have two arms two legs as well- or the C'tan for that matter.

Old 06 Jul 2007, 21:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Yeah to me the old ones dont make any sense at all, They are confusing.
Old 06 Jul 2007, 21:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to The General

what are the old ones for that matter???
Be Evil.
(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
The General is offline   Reply With Quote