Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000 pt Army revised...
Closed Thread
Old 01 Mar 2005, 21:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default 1000 pt Army revised...

Ok...so my initial army list was rife with flaws and miscalculations, and after some suggestions, I've revised it accordingly.* Bear in mind it's a combo army (static and mech) with an emphasis on trouble-shooting, hence the number of suits, and the configurations...here goes.

HQ*
Shas'el XV8 - PR, TL-MP, Multi

Troops

FW Pulse Rifles (12)
FW Pulse Rifles (12)

Kroot Carnivores (12) -

Elites

Crisis XV8 Team (2) - Fire Knife, Multi (2), Target Lock (1)

1 Crisis XV8 - TL MP, Drone Controller
- 2 Gun Drones

Stealth Team - 6

Heavy Support

Hammerhead - RailGun, SMS, Decoy and Multitracker

Total = 989

Figure the Command Suite hangs back with FW's lending ranged support and heavy firepower if the front gets overrun.
Stealth, Kroot harass from cover nearer the front, and 2 man Crisis team keeps things under control with ranged attacks on light vehicles, troops etc.* Lone Crisis for Deep Striking and flanking; special char busting where possible.* HH for Tank Busting, and whittling down the more durable opposition.* I know I should have more Kroot, but 12 is how many come in the Tau box set, and I don't have any points left for more anyway, less'n I drop a Crisis and max the Kroot...?

Comments, suggestions are welcome as always...

-M
Old 01 Mar 2005, 21:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 1000 pt Army revised...

You really should just add a post to your original topic rather than starting a whole new topic for your revised army list. It improves continuity and cuts down defunct topics.

*Your 'el needs a multi-tracker
* Forget the gun drones on the crisis - they really don't help and actually increase his risk of dying.
* Your FWs either need an ethereal or shas'ui upgrades b/c you have lousy leadership as they stand now.
* Don't take the SMS on the HH. Save the points and buy something else...

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 01 Mar 2005, 22:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for the heads up on the 'starting a new thread' thing...will keep that in mind in future posts.

Also, thanks for the suggestions...

'el has a multi....forgot to include it in the listing...

What do you suggest instead of SMS on the HH?

I figure the Drones on the Crisis would help him out by taking a few hits for him...maybe a Shield Gen instead?

thanks,

-M
Old 01 Mar 2005, 22:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would just take the burst cannons b/c they're cheaper.

You need to read the version 4.0 FAQ b/c drones no longer automatically take the first hits: Instead the majority toughness rules apply and so drones generally decrease the survivability of a crisis. It would be better to have him run around with a full unit of gun drones b/c there the majority rules make it hard to get to him.

I would probably drop the 3rd crisis (use 2 solos with FK config) and use the points on more kroot or gun drones or something.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 01 Mar 2005, 23:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Waldo...you da man! lol...

Thanks for the suggestions...yea, I think 4 suits on a field is maybe a bit much; my primary motivation for that setup was because the Tau boxed set comes with 3 Crisis, and I already have a suit and a FW squad...so...

I'd like more Kroot...up to 20, as I think I agree with the general consensus that alot of Kroot is the way to go...but only 12 Kroot come in the Tau box, and buying the Kroot boxed set is another 16 (which is 8 more than I need), so either way it's extra Kroot or extra Crisis left over...not to mention the 10 Drones that I probably won't be using either....ech. I'd buy each unit separate, but that end up costing more than the boxed set....ay yi yi!

I'll drop the drones on the solo Crisis, and shore up the FW's with Shas'ui's for the Ld...what do you think, drop the drones and pack a shield gen instead?

thanks,

-M
Old 02 Mar 2005, 02:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

depends...
If the table you play on has plenty of cover, the shield gen will prove to be unneccessary because the enemy will never shoot at you.
Little or no cover.... go for it.
Old 02 Mar 2005, 03:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

wit the standard REQUIREMENT being 25% then I think its safe to say that the SG isnt needed, also I'd drop the crisis to flat fireknife, good and dependable.

with the rest of the points just fill up the kroot squad some (if its the 12 from the boxand you dont want another boxof kroot, use hounds.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 02 Mar 2005, 07:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael
Thanks for the suggestions...yea, I think 4 suits on a field is maybe a bit much; my primary motivation for that setup was because the Tau boxed set comes with 3 Crisis, and I already have a suit and a FW squad...so...
Well, that's a good enough reason for me. I think 4 suits (including the 'el) are overkill in 1000 pts. Save the other one for bigger games.

Quote:
I'd like more Kroot...up to 20, as I think I agree with the general consensus that alot of Kroot is the way to go...but only 12 Kroot come in the Tau box, and buying the Kroot boxed set is another 16 (which is 8 more than I need), so either way it's extra Kroot or extra Crisis left over...not to mention the 10 Drones that I probably won't be using either....ech.* I'd buy each unit separate, but that end up costing more than the boxed set....ay yi yi!
Just save the extras for bigger games - you can always use more kroot and GDs are good for filling in points when you suddenly find yourself needing 2k and you only have 1850. I would try to units of 10 kroot rather than 20 in one, especially if you have the troop slots: They can theoretically be used for the same CC "punch" if used in conjunction but they're more resistant to getting wiped out by fire (since they're 2 separate units) and you have more flexibility in targeting and movement.

Quote:
I'll drop the drones on the solo Crisis, and shore up the FW's with Shas'ui's for the Ld...what do you think, drop the drones and pack a shield gen instead?
I wouldn't bother with the shield gen either. If push comes to shove take a unit of 4 suicide gun drones... they force LD checks to shoot past them and can be used to temporarily screen your IC in a pinch.

Old 02 Mar 2005, 18:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thank you guys for the advice...

So I'm getting the impression that one less suit is the way to go, and it's coming down to either shoring up the Kroot with either more Kroot or with Kroot Hounds, or using adding another type of unit. I will have about 14 Gun Drones left over by the time all the dust settles...

So here are my options...

8 Guns drones brings me over 1000 points...so it's down to a 5 Gun Drone squadron, and a Shas'ui in each FW squad.

Or...

20 Kroot (maxing out the 12 Kroot), and a Shas'ui in each FW squad.

With the Drones, I get 5 fast attack, TL shooties...with Kroot I get 20 shooties and a CC option with 2 attacks.

I'm thinking Kroot...eh?

-M
Old 02 Mar 2005, 18:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One word: Kroot. 5 gun drones really aren't worth it.

Closed Thread