Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Out of Sight, Out of Mind(Broadside Tactica/Advice)
Old 03 Jul 2007, 00:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Out of Sight, Out of Mind(Broadside Tactica/Advice)

This is a WiP, I'll have it finished tonight.

+Disclaimer+
Some may call this beardy, cheesy or whatever. I do no feel it is in the slightest, and if they do, askthem if they would prefer you to bring 3 Rail Heads. Hopefully they'll say no. If they don't, then they've played against kitted Broadsides before ;D

On a brighter note, I'm going to try to do a tactica for some of the other units I use in my list; namely Sniper Drones, Piranhas, and a Ninj'O, and then possibly a final one tying everything together.

After reading many, many Broadside Tactica and playing some games, the best (all rounder) config of Broadsides in my mind is:

'Ui Team Leader
A.S.S., TL Rail Gun, SMS
Hard-Wired Drone Controller, 2 Shield Drones, Bonding Knife
And then Ui's as you see fit.
Total: 120, adding +80 Points for each other XV-88.

Reasonings:
'Ui Team Leader: This gives you a way to take hard-wired gear, and the 'Vre upgrade is useless as it adds one extra WS.
SMS: This was a bit harder, but I felt the Plasma wasn't worth 15 additional points(Plasma and MT). The SMS should be used to fill in the gaps of the Rail Gun. And it doesn't rely on Line of Sight, but we'll get into that later.
A.S.S.: The golden point to my reasonings. This piece of wargear allows you to roll 2 dice for movement, and fire the heavy weaponry.
2 Shield Drones: These are what keeps the suit alive when exposed. They may drop you to taking Ld. tests, but it's better than dead.
Bonding Knife: This is about the only time I would ever take one. The drones will probably die, bringing you to 1/2 strength. If you receive a wound, or drop below half, you'll appreciate these.
(I'm sure some have noticed the lack of a MultiTracker. Good eye if you have ;D)

Now, for the deployment. I've been deploying IN Size 2 area terrain, ATLEAST 7" back. You DO NOT want to be in Line of Sight. Just because meat shields are there, doesn't mean you want to kill them. They're a prevention. If you have a chunk of Size 3 Area Terrain, stick your Hammerhead there(or wherever else you want to stick it) first. You'll want the Broadsides to go down as the last Heavy Support teams. Set them up so you don't have a lot of Size 3 terrain to worry about.

When your broadsides, or any Infantry for that matter, is at least 6" into area terrain, you cannot see, but you also cannot be seen. Or shot to shreds.

When it's their turn, there should be very little for them to shoot at, so if I have one, a Stealth Team infiltrating, or a regular Sniper Team will work for some nice bait. Anything to get their big bad vehicles out of terrain. Then, when your turn comes, bring those Broadsides out of the terrain(usually the closest edge will be out, towards your deployment area) if you can get some nice shots off with the Railgun, or move so you can rain death with the SMS. You should only be able to do much, if any damage with one weapon(SMS or Rail) at a time.

If you do find yourself on your side of the terrain, all that pesky infantry, jetbikes and all the other Size 2 units are suddenly able to be ignored when you use the Rail Gun. Now, you can pick off the transports, tanks and skimmers with relative ease. However, be careful, as these broadsides won't make it through 3+ turns of heavy shooting, so Piranhas, or something else for them to shoot at. If there is more than one unit, they will more than likely disperse the fire. Otherwise, your suit will be eating Lascannon after Lascannon. And there are only 2 4+ invul. models in the team. For the target priority, I'll usually go after the closest vehicles and work my way around, pending how dangerous the weapons are(an enemy Hammerhead would be near the bottom of the list since I either get a 4+ save, and might lose a drone opposed to a FirePrism, which can fire a blast marker, or a Devilfish with FireWarriors is MUCH higher on my kill listing.

For multiple 88's, I would reccomend giving the leader a Hard-Wired Target Lock. Being able to fire at 2 transports/team is better than only 1/team any day.

To deploy, I prefer to set them up on either flank, close to the outside edge. That way, they have the best angle at getting vehicles behind terrain, and a nice killzone up the middle. This is especially nice if laying Take/hold or another mission with static counters. The only spot both can't shoot is close to the Size 3 terrain and in the far corners for vehicles. For infantry, ask yourself just why you're using 10/1 shots for infantry.

"I've just lost 2 of my Shield Drones! Whatever am I to do?!? Take your Last Man Standing tests like a man, probably fail half, and fall back at most 6"(average is closer to 4") while still firing Rail Gun. Next turn, join a commander, even take the test on your own, and you'll probably pass. Move up(probably get higher than 4") and you're good. Rinse and repeat. You may not have a scoring Broadside unit, but they shouldn't have a lot of scoring vehicles when you're done. An even tradeoff I think ;D

Objective met: Enemy Armor Neutralized. This should be what you're aiming for. And on top of that, your broadside is far from useless. Unlike the Plasma, where you must get into LoS to fire, and they can shoot back, plant yourself into some nice forest and unleash hell. If they get close, keep retreating. Do not go out to shake hands with them. Power weapons hurt. And if they're going, hunting Broadsides, you can almost know they're popping out the wazoo with them. If you get to the edge, or out of the terrain and the enemy is still 6" inside, feel free to use a Rail Gun shell if they're particularly expensive units. Your Broadside maybe doomed,but he'll more than make up his points.

I hope you found this informative on how to setup, equip and deploy Broadsides. I use 2 units of 1 Broadside and 2 drones. I've only once had a Broadside not make it to the end of the game. Who says you HAVE to take 3 Rail Heads? They're bigger firemagnets than the Broadsides are. And not as deadly IMO.

Things to beware:
Deep-striking CC units. These will suck if they can get into combat with you. Avoid them. Shoot what you can at them. Hope they scatter off. Anything, but you do NOT want to be in combat Run into the forest and give them SMS if you must.
Infiltrating CC units. See above.

All-Infantry SIGAFH. Even though youhae a SMS, it's nowhere as good as some of the other tactics you have at your disposal. Here, it'll be a fight to deny VP's. Make him come to you after you kill a squad or otherwise. If he has a Bassie, take it out ASAP. You don't want that gun on the field where you can't shoot back. Create a diversion and run the Piranhas up a side if you can't infiltrate Stealth or Kroot(glances on 6 for the side and rear. All you need is 1 Weapon destroyed or 2 Immobilized, or even 1 Weapon Destroyed). If you can get rid of the guns on your first turn and you have piranhas, take second turn. That Bassie's going to be dying. Just a question of when. And this way, you can run the Piranhas to objectives without worry of them dying.

Oblits: I've never faced them in a game, and I hope to never have to. I've been reading some sources and crunching numbers, and the best solution looks like: stay out of LoS and use SMS, or at a distance and use Rails if nothing else is available to shoot at, and swamp them with Kroot. Yes, use Kroot to counter the enemy's heavy infantry. Before you yell, please allow me to continue. 13 Kroot will cause just over 2 wounds, and it takes approx. 2 attacks to cause a wound on the kroot. Since the kroot will go first(power fists strike at I 1), you will probably be able to remove their model first. They can't break off of combat since they're Fearless, so wen they're outnumbered, they go with No Retreat! which can be better for you than them passing their test. Generally, you should outnumber them 3:1 or more, so they'll have to save an additional 3 wounds. Coupled with some heavy weapon fire(SMS, Fusion Blasters, Plasma, Rail Guns, anything you can fire if they're close to the broadsides), they should be dead the turn the hit the ground. If they're advancing up middle from the opponent's side, pick them off at your leisure. They're size 2 and you should be behind size 2 to block them LoS. You can take some hits because of the drones, but not a lot. Simple geometry will tell you they have to move MUCH further than you do to get within LoS of your Broadsides so use that to your advantage! They are going to be in LoS next turn? move around the terrain 6" and all the sudden, they're 12+" away from LoS. Keep your forces out of LoS, and that's a good 500ish points down the drain. You're going to see what happens with them, so deploy the Kroot accordingly. If there are no oblits on the table, keep the Kroot close. If there are ones on the table, go ahead and infiltrate closer to the enemy in a favorable position. In a shooting contest, remember that 2 broadsides and 2 Shield Drones are superior than 3 Oblits at range. There was a good post by Israfael which covers them better than I ever could. It'll be in the final draft.

Things you'll love:
Escalation. You're deployed with infantry first, and their vehicles trickle in. You may not start with much(I start with 2 Broadsides, and a unit of Kroot at 1500 points. At 1000, Snipers, 2 units of Broadsides, and a unit of Kroot.)

Armored Company of all variations. Get first turn, and with some luck, you'll neuter or destroy the bassies. Then Transports. Then the Battle Tanks. A Guardsman moving 6" a turn isn't going anywhere soon. And doing less if nothing is in range or LoS. Same can be said for Marine and Tau versions of Armored Company. When you see a tank, think victory points on wheels grav platforms, whatever. Go for isolated units first. No need to bring your forces into the open when you don't have to.

Any mission with Alpha, or Counters to be collected. You will be able to choose your targets, and there won't be any nasty suprises waiting for you. If there are Counters to be gotten, I prefer to go second and keep everything out of LoS. They'll move up in hopes of firing, and you get to have the first volley. And the last volley. A possible exception would be skimmer-based forces. You'll want them dead ASAP before they move.

Honorable Wargear meantions:
Targeting Array-Generally a very solid choice for a suit, however, the benefit would only give a marginal increase, as the weapon is twin-linked. It also cannot be outfitted with a A.S.S.
Shield Generator-This is the system I used to use before A.S.S. Plant the Broadside in the open, and watch it take some punishment. But then I figured staying out of LoS and not getting shot is even better.
Plasma Rifle-Essentially a 15 point upgrade as you'll want a Multi-Tracker. It may help versus TEq, but I prefer to have a weapon which fills in the weaknesses of a Rail Gun, and so no real need for a Multi-Tracker as only 1 weapon will be able to fire 90% of the time. Perhaps if you could equip a Missile Pod instead...maybe. A definite maybe.

Honorabe Heavy Support Mentions:
Sniper Drones:
These are good, solid units. I'd almost prefer them to the lone Hammerhead in my list, but they don't launch 6/4 pieplates, and I like running up my piranhas too much to take them out. Although, 9 6/3 shots done as I want them is awfully tempting. Perhaps the Crisis Suits though with the Hammerhead...
Hammerheads:
It works well when it works. The only problem is it has a roughly 1/2 chance of being a 150 points sink with 2 Burst Cannons or dead. On the plus side, it does do well against IG in the open.
Skyray:
I won't touch this, except for the sprues to get at the Devilfish. Besides that, I don't like overly-static elements; a Sniper Team and Broadsides are pushing it. And the seekers can be bought elsewhere if Snipers are used.

Good article, havea cookie ^_^ ~Lonely~
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2007, 01:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Out of Sight, Out of Mind(Broadside Tactica/Advice)

amazing... thats all i got.
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2007, 01:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

you know, broadsides will always have a place in my heart, or would if they weren't $35. Maybe when I actaully get a job...

Nice article though. However,, you did forget the bane of broadsides, which is the obliterator.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2007, 01:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

This must be the way angels write tactica
Shas O Mont-ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2007, 09:26   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I disagree with your ideal setup, (I take the simple Bside + ASS, 80pts cheapness, and make sure he can't get shot ) but otherwise well written, very concise.

You're defiantly spot on the money saying Railheads are targets - I used to take one, but now my anti tank is done by 2 broadsides, and my tank is a Ionhead.

You should get Karma for the finished article, and PM the mod to get it stickied to important topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2007, 11:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Nice write up. I have started to bring broadsides now instead of Hammerheads. My new set up for heavies is three sniper teams, and Ionhead, and two snipers.

I like to take the more expensive plasma variation though. My team setup is 230 points for two suits and two drones. The other day I took out five flayed ones with a combination of rail and plasma fire.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2007, 21:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think that my Heavy Support choices are going to be as follows:

3 Broadsides with Multi-Tracker (or Shield Generator); 'Ui with Plasma Rifles and other goodies (Target Lock, Drone Controller, Bonding Knife) (this is my "Turret" Team)

2 Broadsides with A.S.S; 'Ui has a SMS and the above goodies... plus Multi-Tracker (this is my "Run 'n Gun" Team)

3 Sniper Teams.

This gives me 5 TL Railguns and 9 Target Lock enabled Rail Rifles... much better than pie plate in most cases.
Old 03 Jul 2007, 22:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I disagree with you about the Plasma Rifles option. I think they're great especially in a static, hybrid-static army.

In lists with greater mobility (but more terrain) when using broadsides to constrict fire lanes, SMS are nice to engage sneaking enemies. But at their BS3 those shots are only hitting twice and generally doing little damage. Also in many cases it's more important to get more AP2 shots into an enemy, because those two SMS shots will easily be saved by the average MEq.

Broadsides with Rifles shine when there is a great deal of pulse weapons already on the board. More Plasma Rifles are never a bad thing, and against Deep Striking enemies or Jump Troops attempting to engage, they're invaluable. They're also a bargin for 15 points on an already expensive unit. A full three man team will probably do more damage at 12" with their rifles then if they had SMS.

Nice tactica. I just feel you are neglecting an upgrade option that is more then worth it's points. For the record I use a single Broadside with A.S.S. and a single shield drone (depending on where my points are needed it has Plasma as well).
Old 04 Jul 2007, 04:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Thank you everyone, I'm very happy you liked it. And hopefully my other few will get such positive ratings.

Now, it is very true that SMS will miss half the time, but I still feel it is better to be able to fire something when within cover, and for most purposes, invulnerable to retaliation Opposed to buying a Plasma Rifle. I could probably justify a few in a team; but not every one carrying one. I'm leaning towards 1/team(on the Leader), or maybe 2/team, pending how they get used. With an A.S.S. only one weapon can fire; the 10/1 or the 6/1; not both. The only way a Plasma Rifle would be better is within 12" in which case one must question how exactly they got there. For the record, a MEq will fail a save 1/3 of the time. The chance of it failing 1 MEq armor save from 2 shots is approx. 4/9, with 1/9 odds both will fail, and 4/9 both will save. i think I did that right. But you have slightly better than 50/50 that one marine's going down on average.

With those points, a Helios/Fireknife Crisis Suit can almost be bought with those points on 4 Crisis suits with Plasma(and the required Hard-Wired Multi-Trackers. So unless you have a few points left over and/or lacking anti-TEq, I'd leave them at home or on the Team Leader. But that's just me, and what I use the Broadside to support my forces. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference.

Jump Infantry must take a Dangerous Terrain Test if they jump into Difficult Terrain. That might be enough discouragement to stay out of it, or atleast not jump into it.

And one Shield Drone? I could have sworn you had to take 2...
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jul 2007, 07:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfagar
And one Shield Drone? I could have sworn you had to take 2...
Nope, you can take up to two. The entry says either one or two drones in any combo. I only grab one so I can capitalize on the 50% squad size even if the drone dies.