Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

drone controllers
Closed Thread
Old 02 Jul 2007, 17:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default drone controllers

simple question, is it possible or a shas'vre to take a drone controler (w/ 2 drones) and a HW-drone controller to take 2 more drones (totaling to 4 drones)?
Old 02 Jul 2007, 17:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: drone controllers

simple answer: no.
Old 02 Jul 2007, 20:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

No that would be cheesy.
Old 02 Jul 2007, 20:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoniccam
simple question, is it possible or a shas'vre to take a drone controler (w/ 2 drones) and a HW-drone controller to take 2 more drones (totaling to 4 drones)?
You can not take duplicate support systems.
Old 02 Jul 2007, 22:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

We have gone though this before http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=45835.0 Really its a huge question of morallities. and loopholes.

one such is the fact that a HW drone controler and a drone controller are accualy two diffrent things. they dont have the same name and therefore are diffrient systms. on the other hand having two drone controllers just have the same rule of one or two drones but that can be worded in the exact opposite way. in all honesty. i wouldent use it in a torment as the idea of being defaulted but for fun i do like to skrew with my opponets
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Old 02 Jul 2007, 23:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funshade
one such is the fact that a HW drone controler and a drone controller are accualy two diffrent things.
No, not "fact"...the codex states that hard-wired and regular support systems are the same thing and the same rules apply to both, the only difference is a hard-wired system doesn't count as your regular support system, so you can take SOMETHING ELSE. But HWDC and DC are, in fact, the same system, because they both use the SAME RULES.*

*This is referring to Codex: Tau Empire only. I'm not trying to make any suggestions about any other items in the game.

Quote:
i have done it at my local game store and of course they see it as a loop hole. the only reason why it can be disproven here is because completely obsessed guys will look every nook and cranny to prove me wrong (You know who you are! but i don't care <3)
Question of moralities indeed...the only reason you support this idea is because you want to exploit the rules to gain an unfair advantage. You're just being a bad sport, and trying to defend yourself by claiming people that oppose you (I.E., people that read and understand the codex and don't cheat) are just "obsessed guys looking through every nook and cranny" to ruin your fun. :

You don't have to be "completely obsessed" to realize this whole "lol 4 drones" thing can't be done. I have the codex right here and it says, under the description for drone controller, that "a model with a drone controller must take one or two Gun, Marker, or Shield Drones, in any combination, from the Wargear list". Two drones. Just two. The only possible misinterpretation I can see is...the Y'xa'uuk letter "A" in the beginning, the only thing that suggests that more drone controllers = more drones. But that only works as a "loophole" if you completely ignore (like you seem to be doing) the fact that the codex and everyone else states that you can't take more than one of the same support system. Hard-wired systems and regular support systems are the same thing, the same rules apply to both (as said in the codex), the ONLY difference is that a hard-wired system doesn't count as a regular support system and is only available to battlesuits with access to wargear (team leaders, 'vres, etc.).

Hell, you even said so yourself just now not to use it in a tournament setting (I assume that's what you meant by "torment"...) for fear of being disqualified, and if it isn't legal in a tournament then it must be for a reason, no?

There is no loophole, you're just a snake, in my opinion. Tau armies get called "cheesey" enough as it is, with our railguns and JSJ and mechanized armies, why go looking for more things to Aulma people off? If for some reason you can't live without doing this, then try it in friendly games only and only with your opponents approval (but explain to them first that this is cheesey as hell and make sure they know what it is they're approving). Like a house rule.

I found another loophole, the Warhammer 40k rulebook states that you don't actually have to be breathing during a game...so this means that I win if the other guy passes out before me. :

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Old 02 Jul 2007, 23:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
one such is the fact that a HW drone controler and a drone controller are accualy two diffrent things.
Well then :, could you please point me to where I may find the descriptions for these two different things? Because I can only find one in the Tau Armory. And I found this...

pg.25 "The same rules apply to the system whether it is hard-wired or hard-point mounted..."

Replace the word "system" with "drone-controller", or "multi-tracker", etc. and it's quite easy to see that they are in fact being referred to as the same item.

Old 02 Jul 2007, 23:40   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Replace the word "system" with "drone-controller", or "multi-tracker", etc. and it's quite easy to see that they are in fact being referred to as the same item.

Which is exactly the case for any other wargear option in the game (unless otherwise written)
Old 03 Jul 2007, 00:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Hey, if I have two multitrackers (one hard-wired, one hardpoint), then I get double the attacks, right? One enables me to fire both weapons in one turn, so two would enable me to fire them both TWICE wouldn't it? Same with dual target locks?

Come on guys, brainstorm, how many more "loopholes" can we find?

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Closed Thread