Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gue'Vesa
Old 02 Jul 2007, 00:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Gue'Vesa

Simple question, have you ever used them? They seem totally useless to me and I just can't think of anything I would include them in my army list for. They are just bunch of guys with lasguns, the worst gun in the galaxy, and nothing else. Sure you can add pulse rifle, but why? You can get much better results with FW.
hubaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2007, 01:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Gue'Vesa

I use them often as a small team with a marker light , and they are great for grabbing objectives.

They can also get EMP Grenades and can be a big surprise for unwary players.

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2007, 01:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Because, in hard cover, they die as slowly as kroot or firewarriors, yet they're cheaper. In fact, thats the main bennie of them...they're cheap. I really don't use them in high points games, but when you're trying to eke out every last point, it's nice.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2007, 04:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I LOVE Gue'vesa. There are many applications they are good for. Your totally right they are just lasguns. And that is the whole point. Your opponent is never going to expect much from them but they can do a lot.

They can hold and capture objectives, they can take a few pulse carbines to force those ever so annoying pinning checks (who even marines will fail if you make them take enough tests), they are the cheapest source of markerlights and they can take EMP grenades, which makes them stunningly effective against all things armored.

Gue'vesa are great. They just are not offencive monsters. Like Vespids, Kroot and Skyrays they must be used with a little thought. They can be cannon fodder, but they have quite a few other ways they can be put to use to great effect.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2007, 04:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use them, they're quite nice. A cheap, cheap scoring unit, and lasguns are'nt entirely useless. I've wiped out a squad of turbo-boosting bikers with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2007, 05:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to NileChild

They're entirely underestimated or overestimated by the opponent. They either think like you are about them as a useless unit with lasguns. Or they see a Tau unit that's not kroot and not brandishing str. 5 weapons and think it's going to be a huge threat somehow.

Not a great fighting unit but good psychologically, effective at capturing table quarters late game and meat shield.

NileChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2007, 06:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, I always politely ask my opponent if I may use them. They generally ask what they have...and after I tell them, look at me blankly for a second, then say sure. And proceed to ignore them. I'm perfectly ok with this.

Lasguns may only be strength three, but even rapid firing lasguns are bound to hurt a bit eventually, and they stand up ever so slightly better in CC than firewarriors. And unlike kroot, they get an actual armor save. I really feel too many 40k players get far too caught up in having the biggest, best uber units. Massed cheap stuff can make your overpriced monstrosity quickly dead or irrelevant.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Old 02 Jul 2007, 10:13   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I don't use them myself, but a good use I have in the past found for them is a suicide squad sort of thing.

Min unit, with EMP's. Keep 'em ready, your opponent will probably ignore that tiny lil pointless unit, until of course, they charge his Land Raider/Monolith/Leman Russ and EMP it back to the Forgeworld it came from

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2007, 10:39   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Meat shield, speed bumb, some extra dakka, offensive, pinning, EMP grenades, markerlight, is there something they cant do?

I use them mainly as a speedbumb for those assaulty things, and trying to pin flanking units, perhaps even killing one They're always great, and like said, are CHEAP!

And as a sidenote they're a lot of fun to convert:
Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2007, 13:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Agreed. I built my team leader using a FW shoulder-pad, a pathfinder markerlight with arm filed off, and fitted the usual cadian knife as a bayonet on it. Looks awesome, in my completely unbiased opinion. =)