Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blinding Spear
Old 30 Jun 2007, 13:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Blinding Spear

Right, just a query here. I sem to notice that the most popular crisis configuration around here seems to be the Deathrain suit (what is that by the way? The search function finds NO detailed thread listing all of them.). I personally use the Blinding Spear configuration (burst cannon and plasma rifle) and wonder if perhaps there is a better all rounder configuration. What are peoples thoughts on this?
On a seperate note, I'm currently tearing the weapons ff of my commander, because guess which doofus went and gave them a burst cannon and a cyclic ion blaster. What a moron, lol.

Paulb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 14:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Re: Blinding Spear

A Deathain is Twin-Linked Missile Pod and either a Targeting Array or something cheap on the last hardpoint. The most widely used all-rounder though would be a Fireknife, which is a Missile Pod and Plasma Rifle with a Multi-Tracker.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 14:26   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Dethrain config is twin link missle pods, maybe with a target array, my personal favorite though is the fire knife (missle pod/plasma rifle) for versitility, add a target array and a multi tracker on a shas'ui team leader and youve got a 77 point model that is fast and can kill from range or kill marines when you get closer, i always take 3 single man groups and if im feeling lucky ill deep strike one for fun. It keeps my opponents guessing, and is always a stitch in there side seeing one or two suits sitting off the table waiting to come in a cause havoc.
Mr.Nedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 14:28   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfagar
A Deathain is Twin-Linked Missile Pod and either a Targeting Array or something cheap on the last hardpoint. The most widely used all-rounder though would be a Fireknife, which is a Missile Pod and Plasma Rifle with a Multi-Tracker.
sorry tralfagar, you got in at the same time i guess.
Old 30 Jun 2007, 14:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

You know, there is something called a "modify" button which allows you to edit your posts instead of just double posting.

Anyway, Deathrain extremely versitle, while it is not effective against MEQs, it is godly against transports and GEQs.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 15:17   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Cool Thanks folks, I'll be prising those burst cannons off in favour of missile pods later tonight

Who double posted?
Old 30 Jun 2007, 15:53   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
You know, there is something called a "modify" button which allows you to edit your posts instead of just double posting.

Anyway, Deathrain extremely versitle, while it is not effective against MEQs, it is godly against transports and GEQs.
I think the double post comment was directed at me, the post I put up after my original was just a courtasy post directed at Tralfagar, I didnt want him to think i was stealing his thunder, and i hadnt realized that he had posted until after i had already hit the post button.
Old 30 Jun 2007, 16:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Deathrain is not that often used with targeting arrays. It is jst to expensive. The big bonus of the deathreins is its low costs. Thus it is mostly used with black sun filters or flamers on the third hardpoint.
It is an allround-unit, as it relies on masses of fire to bring enemies down. I used 9 of them VERY succesfully on my last tournament.

Fireknife is a really good configuration too. Reliable and well armed.

Burst cannon and plasma rifle is not a good configuration, though.
The burst cannon is not a good choice for crisis, as weapons with strength 5 are easy to find elsewhere in the tau army. Use the crisis to get some weapons that are not accesible elsewhere, like missile pods and plasma rifles.

The best configurations for crisis suits:

Plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker

TL missilepod, BSF

Fusionblaster, missile pod, mutitracker (deep striking to bust tanks)

These are the only configurations I recommend to use in regular games of 1500+ points. The elite-sclots are way too precious to field over-specialized units like fusionblasters+ plasmarifle-suits. Also I am only talking about all-comer armylists.
I have a certain dislike for fitting ones army accordig to the enemy.

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 19:16   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Would it be a waste of points using the third hardpoint to mount a missile pod on top of the bc and pr?
Old 30 Jun 2007, 19:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulb34
Would it be a waste of points using the third hardpoint to mount a missile pod on top of the bc and pr?
Most surely and absolutely. You would not be able to equip a multitracker and thus you could only fire one weapon per turn, wasting all the points you spent on the other weapons.

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote