Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shas'o VS Shadow Sun
Old 29 Jun 2007, 19:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Shas'o VS Shadow Sun

I currently have Shadow Sun in my army and am considering a shas'o as an hq choice. Looking at the plain stats, Shas'o has pretty much the same, just one more wound, and one less initiative, but given that its tau...I really dont consider initiative. The main difference is wargear, and shadow sun has two fusions that can shoot at separate targets and shield drones, and command drone. A shas'o can have a more versatile array just minus the command drone. A Shas'o will probably be cheaper and do just dandy, yet I have the lingering feeling of that Im missing something. Can anyone help me reason this out?
SUUPAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2007, 19:30   #2 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Shas'o VS Shadow Sun

Shadowsun with her drones has her IC status suspended.
While using `O or `El you can take advantage of his IC status , best way is to stick some drones in front of him (they are capable of JSJ and will stick close to him) and use them as shield.
O or El can also Deep Strike while shadowsun cant.
The comand drone of shadowsun makes here awesome for static or hybrid with allot of suits.
The FB`s are just poor choice for her ... would be better with dual MP`s or Plasmas ....
I just don`t get why they designed commander supporting his troops with aura and gave her short ranged weapon... MPs or Plasmas would make better sense.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 03:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It really just depends whats more inportant. fluff or gaming. also consider you cant yous her in under 1,0000point games
"Okay, my Commisar charges your Chosen squad, that squad of Marines there will open up on the squad of Cultists, my Predator will shoot your Rhino, and, oh yes, my Warlord Titan shoots in the general direction of your army and kills everything. Good game, man."
shaseltulku100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 07:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

makes sense, I've been having trouble implementing her in my army, and thats why i'm leaning towards the shas'o. But im confused to as to how much wargear i can give him, I know its only one HW system, but it says that theres a 100pt cap to wargear per model. But do the three hard points thing still apply? or is that moot now? So far I'm looking at Cyclic ionblaster(sheer firepower, potential ap1), HwMT, Plasma(for AP2)/or MP(for more shots), and Drone controller and drone/or shield generator(dont know which is better) or Vector thrusters. I want him to be versatile, able to wipe out basic infantry, but also able to pop off a heavier unit if the situation dictates, any suggestions?
SUUPAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 08:23   #5 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Popular O or El configurations
Ninja`O - Shas`O , Stimulant Injector , VRT , Iridium Armor , Shield Generator [Free Hardpoint for weapon , Plasma Rifle is mostly used to it beeing deadly in close quarters]
Tactics , get in close , rapid fire PR , assault enemy , tie up his shooty units to give rest of the army better chances. Then in enemies assault phase run away , avoiding combat. Annoying strategy , beware of buried powerweapons , they will have 50% chance of InstaKilling your costy Ninja`O
He has staying power +2sv +4 inv FNP , but still he can get IK if something with S8 or more gets thru invul.
Gunslinger - `El with CIB , MP TA and HW-MT. Deadly against light infantry , can put dent into light vehicles.
SuperDeathrain - `El with TL MP and TA. 97.22% chance to hit while hiding behind drones . This is reliable weapon platform , personally i like twin linking at BS4 (88.88% to hit) and even at BS5 (97.22%) this way i build my strategy around strong moves , no IF`s or Assumptions .When something has to die , it will die.
SuperFireKnife - `El with MP , PR , TA and HW-MT .. BS 5 Fireknife becomes reliable (personally i dislike fireknife due to randomness of BS3 )
The O isn't worth the points unless you need LD 10 (C&C node) or plan to run him with squad of other crisis suits (waste of points included in him for IC status)
The `El with TA leaves you with two hardpoints for weapons and most of the systems can be HW , and in terms of shooting he is as good as `O and costs less. The only instance worth including `O for me is Ninja`O.
Commander should exploit his IC status with long range weapons (MP are just awesome , PR is OK) you can get Gun drones from few places (devilfish , piranha , gun drone squadron) but them in front of him.
Keep them in 2-5" away from your commander , now he can`t be assaulted (they will have to assault drones) he can`t be shoot at (IC status) drones act as ablative wounds (if enemy wants to get your commander he HAS to kill drones)
You can take as many HW systems as you want .
I would suggest making your commander one purpose , multi purpose units don`t excel at anything and are just medicore in all areas , while commander built to accomplish certain task will do it with deadly precision.
Don`t ever take gun drones with DC ... since you will LOSE IC status , and thats just not worth it.
Shield drones... I have mixed feelings towards them , there is neat trick to run "comand squad" that takes it personally to enemy but this isn`t MOST efficient solution tabletop and game wise.
Its about taking `O with PR , DC with 2 shield drones , Iridium armor [One free hardpoint here , i was using Positional Realay , but shield generator could come in handy] , then joining him to squad of two other TL-PR TA suits , this way with majority save rule The first 3 saves you have to take are on Shield Drones and Commander and thats +2 SV with 2 (or 3) +4 invuls. Drones act as ablative wounds here and can take such nasty stuff on them as lasscanons (which normally IK suits ;/)
This Blue Death Squad takes it into close quarters to enemy , relies on their high to hit ratio in rapid fire range to destroy armored enemy.
Such squad is quite fluffy , as we have here commander leading his men (or rather tau) into battle.
It worked OK , nothing amazing but I liked it.
At this moment I`m using `El with CIB , MP , TA and HW-MT and he is doing good work , but tempted to try SuperDeathrain .

an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote