Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Article] Renegade TAU
Old 27 Jun 2007, 23:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default [Article] Renegade TAU

***Sits by a tree and pours a shot of Vodka, drinks it***

Ohh hey guys! I got some new stuff I wanted to share! This is my new article for “Renegade TAU”. As if small “fluff/game guidelines”. I took a small break from my main project so hear I am writing this.

F.A.Q. (before article)

Q: Who in da world are you?!
A: I’m Red Dog.

Q: Aren’t you that guy who was convicted in assault?
A: Err no you must have mistaken me with someone… :shifty:

Q: So what is this all about?
A: Article => set of guide lines “how to make your own renegades” I was righting my main article, and had some “deviations.” I found some stuff about it. I was interested. I didn’t make a renegade cadre because I don't like some fluff.

Ok now I’m done with “question” lets get on with an article.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So you want to have a renegade cadre?

This is somewhat a fluff part. It gives examples and guide lines of how can you start the cadre.

So why would anyone want to abandon TAU empire? I mean you’ve got Ideology, friendly population, concept of importance of life and all that. But TAU are not robots and they have their own “feelings”. There is lot of things why people might turn their back on TAU.

First step of making a cadre is -> Choose its fluff. So for renegade cadre -> Choose why did they become renegades? Hear are lists of causes that I came up with. Feel free to use any of them or make up your own.

Obvious Causes (The most typical ones)

-> Strategy Collisions. Commander disagrees with the course of action that he is forced to take by the “head quarters (T’au)” This is one of the major causes that made Farsight turn his back on empire.
-> Race collisions. Basically TAU are friendly. But not every tau follows this stereotype. World D’yanol for example is fairly Xenophobic. Tau that come from this world are likely to disagree to work with kroot and vespid. It might case serios collisions. Farsight has similar philosophy since he believes in purity of TAU.
-> “Impossible odds”. Tau are fairly idealistic but when they face impossible odds their will can falter and they might run. They might try their chances as renegades and pirates rather then be trampled by the Orchish Horde.
-> New world developments. Third sphere expansion worlds Ksi’m’yen & Fi’rios are very unstable. They had just been conquered and there is a lot to be done. Some Tau wouldn’t want to be there and flee and desert rather then stay there. Ksi’m’yen is still quite disordered (It says so in world description). Fi’rios had just been conquered and again has not much of a social structure.
-> Imperial Influence. In several regions, Imperia does have trading “contracts” with TAU is some places of the boarder. It is quit possible that TAU “took” some concepts of their philosophy or heard stories about renegades or even encountered some. It is possible that tau might have done the same. I have really serious doubts that tau would flee the empire just to join another one. But they can join IG renegade bands.

Shady causes (It’s possible, but has less support and involves more imagination)

-> Chaos cults and IG heretics. Yes I know Tau has small to zero warp presence. But it possible that some of them have learned about Chaos thru IG heretics who contacted them. Then Tau could organize a Chaos cult and flee from repression. Again. It is not impossible but requires certain circumstances. This is actually on GW’s official site. Hear the direct link on this article -> http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...ersaries/3.htm
-> Kroot war bands. Yes just as many tau despise kroot, many of them like them and respect them. It is possible that tau would find that kroot way is much better then their own. May be they liked freedom, or their culture. In any case, tau could join the kroot war band and travel with them. Or at least create a similar society. No! they wouldn’t become cannibals. What I mean is that they would have similar way of life.
-> Artifact discovery. That’s he one of the Farsight “roots” things like Dawn Blade, etc. can be discovered and then this could lead to some consequences. It is entirely up to an imagination.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now when you select your fluff (whether mine or your own). You should (IMO) select your units... It seems silly to me to right guide lines for that.
Per say, if the case was 'Xenophobic" I wouldn't recomend kroot or any other auxiliary troops in your cadre. The good concept comes in mind. If you want the unit, but fluff disagrees but you still want that unit. Use "model substetution".
For example Vespids can be "jump troops" with light armor and powerfull guns, etc.

Also keep in mind that renegades are usually cut off from the main empire (dahh, they are renegades ;D) and relay mostly on controband. To represent this I recomend not using TOO many skimmers for example. Also any equpiment shuld be "personal" as TAU will not freakvently change it (because they can't.)

Ok so this is it! I hope you guys liked it! Any sudjestions are WELKOME. I will edit this if something is wrong or I just hear a better idea.

P.S. Of course renegade cadre isn't renegade until it has a commander. The commander can have house rules, or just be well modeled. For tornament perpouses I would't make any house rules...

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2007, 02:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: [Article] Renegade TAU

No offense, but why would any Tau leave the empire for a society that regards aliens as something to kill or enslave?

Not to mention an empire of inferior technology and rabid Zelotism.

Unlike the imperium, All of the tau are educated, and probably can see a loony at twenty yards.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 03:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I think it's a bit of an overstatement to say ALL Imperials hate xenos. SOme probably dislike them, some may like their ideals(water-caste influenced leaders who have gone back to the Imperium and gotten through the persecution or otherwise). 40k, and the rest of the world rarely deal exclusively in extremes.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2007, 03:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To Grogalmighty

Quote:
Imperial Influence. In several regions, Imperia does have trading “contracts” with TAU is some places of the boarder. It is quit possible that TAU “took” some concepts of their philosophy or heard stories about renegades or even encountered some. It is possible that tau might have done the same. I have really serious doubts that tau would flee the empire just to join another one. But they can join IG renegade bands.

I said that they could meet IG renegades! They can join renegades who are NOT fighting for the Imperium! Thats why they called renegades!

As for will the IG renegades be Xenophopbic? Who knows! Thats a very flexibale part.

Waiting for more comments
I think renegade TAU is a fairly open theme with rich fluff and modeling possibilities that is worth discussing. If I can I will include this section in my main article (not ready yet for sure).

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2007, 04:06   #5 (permalink)
lonely tau

+1 for the write up, a really interesting read all in all.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 04:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Some guy at my gaming place made cannibalistic Tau.

He's an idiot.
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2007, 06:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I went into this thread thinking "renegade Tau"? Like hell! But I have to hand it to Red Dog, I think he made a very nice list of possible reasons. The karma he earned was well deserved.

I don't entirely agree with the "renegade IG" thought, but I think I and all of its opponents might be misinterpreting where Red Dog is coming from. Perhaps "unaffiliated humans" fits a bit better?

Honestly, my commander - Shas'el Lyi'ot, commander of Kavaal Es’cea’va’cha in this summer's TO campaign - suffers from several of the flaws listed. Don't get me wrong - I wasn't making designs for a rogue Tau. I personally find the idea anathema! When I first started coming up with his back story and fluff, Lyi'ot was (is?) extremely committed to the Tau'va and to the guidance of the Ethereals.

The thing is, he isn't a windup soldier. I wanted him to have his own interpretation of the Tau'va. The Tau don't use attrition, they minimize their losses; Lyi'ot takes this to an extreme. He tries to preserve the lives of his men, but also life in general. He doesn't commit his forces until he has no other option. ("Es’cea’va’cha" is suppose to, roughly, translate to "full of peaceful purpose." Of course, I get to fight the implacable enemies, Chaos and Tyranids. whoopee)

He also utilizes auxiliaries quite frequently. In his opinion, auxiliaries are the future of the Empire. He likes the Kroot, the Vespid are great, but above all, he utilizes Gue'la. He goes so far as to treat them as full-fledged Fire Warriors. (And, from a game play perspective, this is great! I can WYSIWYG a squad of humans equipped with pulse rifles as a squad of Fire Warriors. What I REALLY want to do is get some of those female Cadians, and make them a squad of axillary Valkyries...) The root of this behavior comes from some of his early, most formative battles - auxiliaries were the deciding factor, and he earnestly respects them.

I mean, that's all well and good, right? He likes life, he doesn't like taking it. NOT A DEAL BREAKER. He can still be a loyal Tau, perhaps even an exemplar of the Tau'va. That's the way I meant for it to play out.

But as I wrote more, negative consequences began to take shape. His unwillingness to take life means that members of the Shas'ar'tol, the Tau high command, view him as indecisive, hesitant when he should strike. And on the battlefield, hesitation means the life of your soldiers. So, they ask, where was his love of life when his Fire Warriors died? And then, what's this? He seems to love those damn humans more than his own bond brothers? What kind of xenos lover is this? (And there we have it, "nonaffiliated humans" carry the day.)

(This issue was exemplified in one of his first assignments, to the planet of Acknor. Small desert world, extremely small human population, right smack on top of a mineral deposit the Tau wanted. But Lyi'ot came to respect the humans - this was a settlement long, long neglected by the Imperium, and had developed its own hardworking culture trying to make life on a very harsh planet. In fact, he felt these humans were perfect examples of what humanity could be, with everyone working towards a greater good. So, he went over the heads of the Shas'ar'tol, and cut the humans a deal: attach some of your militia to my cadre, become a vassal of the Tau Empire, and you won't be relocated. He forewent the minerals because he felt this solution - respecting the humans, incorporating them into his cadre - was better than any short-term economic benefits. NEEDLESS TO SAY, this did not earn him many friends in High Command.)

The flip side of the High Command's disdain is that Lyi'ot is extremely critical of other Tau commanders - he thinks the "necessities of war" blind them to the true implementation of the Tau'va, that they are hypocrites that claim to uphold "the Greater Good" while only looking out for the expedient good of the Empire. He is especially concerned about how the Tau fight - what tactics they use, what weapons they employ. He feels a weapon reveals much about its wielder, and that if the Tau'va is so great, it shouldn't have to resort to exterminatus and weapons of that ilk.

So, where are we? A loyalist commander, devoted to life and the Tau'va... and he has tactical and ideological differences with Tau High Command. Sound like someone else we know? In Lyi'ot's opinion, O'Shovah went rogue because he saw the Tau command as unjust - Farsight's men died needlessly on Arkunasha, the uncaring Shas'ar'tol letting them hold out during the winter without reinforcements. (This is entirely projection on Lyi'ot's part, but it does reveal something about him - and perhaps even Farsight?)

I'm almost positive Lyi'ot won't go rogue - as it is, he's best suited as a member of the Loyal Opposition. That being said, Lyi'ot and Command Scoutfox, the leader of the Tau forces in this year's campaign, WILL HAVE WORDS.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2007, 12:54   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Hmmm, how you've dealt with why they might want to turn renegade, how about fleshing it out a bit more with some rules, like Marine doctrines for example? Although they'd be unofficial, they'd go nicely with the rest of the article
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2007, 19:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

It looks great, selfexplanatory, easy to read, and very very helpful, honestly
I'll use this when time comes

'Bernard, do you think I should wash my beard?'
- 'Yes Manny, I think you should wash your beard, and shave it off, staple it to a frisbee, and fling it over a rainbow.'

Me : Pulp Fiction? Please, this amount of blood, can best be compared with 'showdown at the house of blue leaves' in Kill Bill 1.
T-002 : Sweet Charles Dickens, that much? It was a man, you know, not a 15-gallon barrel of blood...
Ineluki is offline   Reply With Quote