Warhammer 40K Forum

New tau player, 1000 point list to start
Closed Thread
Old 28 Feb 2005, 01:22   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New tau player, 1000 point list to start

HQ
Shas' el
plasma rifle, missile pod, hardwired multi tracker, drone controller w/ two gun drones
=110
(goes with crisis squad below)
Elites
3 Crisis suits, fireknife (plasma rifle, missile pod, multi tracker), bonding
=205
Troops
Red Squad
12 fire warriors, Shas ui, bonding, 1 carbine
=140
Blue Squad
12 fire warriors, shas ui, bonding, 3 carbines
=140
Devilfish
=80
Green Squad
=140
Devilfish
=80
Heavy Support
Broadside battlesuit, TL railgun, 2 shield drones
=100
Total= 995
its my first try at a list for tau. In this size game, 4 plasma rifles, (4 missile pods too), and a TL railgun that has to have 2 4+ invul saves killed beofre he can be touched should be enough anti tank. i also like having lots of troops, and with 40 (counting battlesuits) troops in 1000 points this is the area i like (with mariens 1850 saw me having about 45 models)
Old 28 Feb 2005, 02:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: New tau player, 1000 point list to start

I have to say that I like it! A 1k list that has no Hammerhead is not common to find Bravo! Definately nice to see loads of firewarriors too.

HQ:

Your Shas'el is fine, but you should probably take the multi-tracker as a hard point and take a hard-wired drone controller... you'll save some points that way.

Elites:

Solid group! Advice: Don't join your Shas'el to this squad. He's an independent character and can function far more efficiently without being grouped up to them. Also, when you have low suit counts, it's beneficial to split them up so that you can maximize your target layout. Example: You have 4 sets of missile pods (8 shots). Why shoot them all at one transport, when you can shoot 3 different transports instead and blow them all up.

I would split each suit into it's own Elite listing and drop bonding. Then you'll have 4 suits, independent of each other, who can still focus on the same targets as before if you want, but they can also split their fire up and hit everything one a time until it's gone, then move on with the firing.

You lose nothing doing this in your current list, but you save 10 points, as well as if one suit is killed or caught in assault, the others don't go down with him.

Troops:

Looks good all around! Though I'd have left out the carbines, but that's just personal preference

Heavy Support:

Solid broadside, though I'd probably opt for gundrones instead of shield drones and just keep him in cover (saving another 10 points)

So looks good to me! What would be really cool is if you finished off your troops to 6 total, with two full squads of 20 kroot, for 40 extra bodies. Busting 100 models in Tau is not the most common, but pretty neat when they do
Old 28 Feb 2005, 02:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to CommanderAce

First off in the future Hard wire the drone controller instead of the MT to save 3 pts. Next, separate out the crisis squads to save points from bonding. *If they get shot chances are they'll get wounded more than twice thus waisting wounds. *Also, get rid of carbines, because 1 isn't going to do much and carbines in Devilfishes don't work too well. *Last, (this part is optional) if I was you I would get rid of bonding on everything, get rid of the gun drones, and TL PR on broadside, and get another broadside with either a multitracker or a regular gun drone. *You can't rely on one broadside as enemies can maneuver around it or even with shield drone gets blown up easily. I personally would trade these two for a hammerhead, but most people tell me I wouldn't have enough AT. *Just my 2 cents.
-Achilles in Troy
All my life, I've lived by a code and the code is simple: Honor the gods, love your woman, and defend your country. Troy is mother to us all. Fight for her!
-Hector in Troy
I think the slain care little if they sleep or rise again.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 04:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hmmm...2 replies advocating the drop of the Bonding for the squads....why? Wouldn't the Bonding help keep the unit together after attack?

Splitting up a Crisis team into individual suits...much more mobile I suppose...makes sense.

I'm thinking a HH is also better than a Broadside, especially in a small army like this one...faster, and better able to deal with potential threats on the table...no?

No Kroot squads?

-M
Old 28 Feb 2005, 12:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Mael:

I never stated to remove bonding--it's good to have when you have loads of firewarriors.
I also advised two big squads of Kroot as well (40 of them!) to top off your troops.

It is good to split up the crisis suits
And yes, a hammerhead is a better choice, but broadsides have their place too (but I prefer broadsides in the larger games).
Old 28 Feb 2005, 12:37   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ok im splittin the crisis suits and saving the three points on hardwiring. now what should i do with those points?
ok heres why i have no kroot for those who were wondering. i was gonna buy them but they will die fast in a map with no woods, and a devilfish will survive much better. so for their points i bought two devilfish to make my army able to run. im thinking of using that FoF thing i found somewhere on this site.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 18:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Neat list and good ideas for the tactics! lol...since your listening to advice, here is mine:

HQ
Shas' el
plasma rifle, missile pod, hardwired multi tracker, drone controller w/ two gun drones
=110
I don't think that it gets any sweeter...but (lol...I hate that word...) drop the drone controller and the gun drones and undo the hardwired multi-tracker...As soon as he has drones he becomes a unit and his Independant character rule is nullified...now we don't want that ...
Shas'el - Plasma Rifle, Rocket Pod, Multi-Tracker = 85pts

Elites
3 Crisis suits, fireknife (plasma rifle, missile pod, multi tracker), bonding
=205
For a 1000pts...hmmm...yes, I would listen to MalVeauX and make them 3 spearate units of 1, therefore getting rid of the bond and saving 10 points.
New cost = 195pts

Troops
Red Squad
12 fire warriors, Shas ui, bonding, 1 carbine
=140
Blue Squad
=140
Devilfish
=80
Green Squad
=140
Devilfish
=80
I love the troops fill out of 3 squads of FW and 2 DF...although I'm lost with the 1 and 3 carbines... they'll do nothing. For your mounted squads, make it all Pulse Rifles (therefore good FoF Tactics) and for your static squad, if you want to you can make it half and half of Pulse Rifles and Pulse Carbines, therefore having a designated pinning squad.

Heavy Support
Broadside battlesuit, TL railgun, 2 shield drones
=100
Personaly I love broadsides, but with the saved points that I got you, may be you could fit in a Hammerhead? They're more tactically flexable in 1000pts games as for you have missile pods for anti-armour as well...

Ouch...I did the math and you are 10pts short of having a basic Hammerhead (RG, BC) rather than a broadside... well, its your call man! Have fun! and good luck!
Old 28 Feb 2005, 20:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

myself I think there are too many FW there, I'm not a FW man myself but I'd advocate droppng the foor team for 20 kroot, it helps keep the army more mobile and akes it generally better as the foot team isnt worried about eing caught in assault, its what theyre for, deploy them in cover and you get a free 4+ save, whats not to like?

trim the 'El down to basic fireknife and split the suits and drop bonding on the two remaining FW teams and you have yourself a HH w/ usual kit.

good stuff.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 28 Feb 2005, 21:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This 1k pt army gives me ideas for my own 1k army...but I have a few questions...

I noticed none of the FW's have plasma grenades...I hear that the grenades help put the kibosh on charging assault units...so why not take this? Or are the grenades a bad idea for FW's?

No markerlights for the FW Shas'ui...and he's got Broadside in the army...wouldn't a markerlight be a good addition? I know it's a hefty point cost, but with a Broadside, I almost think it's neccesary, no?

Also...for the Commander...why not a more specialized configuration? Maybe a TL Pod with Plasma (heard this suggestion in another thread) or something similiar? A Commander can hard wire any of the support choices...so more hard points on the weapons (TL'ing one so you can fire them all) might be the way I go...will be more expensive, but he'd make a hell of a dent in the opposing army...

-M
Old 01 Mar 2005, 03:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Grenades? : the FW are mounted and using the FoF tactic (read the stickies) the Fw dont get assaulted, also they just arent worth the points as they really dont do all that much, points can be better spent.

ML? : BS have TL railgun, thats 75% chance to hit, you dont need much better.

Commander : Fireknife is cheap and effective (although IMO the drones in here are worthless) and with his BS4 the 'El is better off with 2 weapons than one Tl one.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread