Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is having 3 Hammerheads in one army overkill?
Old 26 Jun 2007, 02:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to blade_masda
Default Is having 3 Hammerheads in one army overkill?

is having 3 hammerheads in one army overkill??

i have a plan at first:

Hammerhead Hammerhead
-railgun -railgun
-smartmissles -smartmissles
-multi-tracker -multi-tracker
-target lock -target lock
-disruption pod -disruption pod

Hammerhead
-ion cannon
-2 burst cannon
-multi-tracker
-disruption pod

now was this overkill?

-Shas'el Dal'yth Tsua'm Ukos, in refference to the 13th Repentant Adeptus Astartes of Overlord Deathwing
blade_masda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 03:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: is having 3 hammerheads in one army overkill??

Depends how many points you're playing.

At 2000 Points - probably not, it only accounts for 20% or so of your points. However I think I just have 2 Ionheads and 1 Railhead in my 2000 point pure-mech list, having 2 Railheads isn't that much more.

If you're playing under 2000 Points though... I would think it's a little overkill.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 03:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Theres nothing wrong with 3 hammerhead in general, but giving detailed advice without know the point level, the rest of your list, or the purpose of this list is rather difficult.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 05:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

I run one rail and 1 ion in a 1500 point list. If I had another 500 points.. I'd run a 2nd Ion. Depends where your money is. I could see the 3 hammerhead in 1500, just remember that 3 lucky shots and you're out a third of your army at that point.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 05:17   #5 (permalink)
lonely tau

Three hammerheads in a Tau army?

Personally, I'd like to see that in only 2000 points, maybe, but anything under that I find questionable. Besides, when you have the ability to take a Skyray, or Broadsides, or even Sniper Drones, why would you want to take 3 Hammerheads?

To me it's taking away tactical approaches that you may or may not be able to use, or just making you think less than you could be by hammering in three of the same Heavy Support choices .
Old 26 Jun 2007, 05:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Overkill? I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.
Unimaginative? Most defiantly.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 05:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
when you have the ability to take a Skyray, or Broadsides, or even Sniper Drones, why would you want to take 3 Hammerheads?
See therein lies the problem. Broadsides are great... but not mobile enough. Snipers are nice substitute marine killers if you can't afford a 2nd Ion. And the Skyray is great... if there are other markerlights and seekers on the field to build an army around and in the end its fairly static along with the Drones and the Broadsides. As tau, we only have 1 truely mobile heavy support choice. Our only real option is which gun to take for it if we want to remain mobile. All our other heavy support options are fairly static. You COULD make an argument for the skyray being "mobile" but in order for it to be truly effective,you need a lot of markerlights in the field which means you probably have a static army. in which case having 3 sniper teams and some broadsides go along well with a skyray. But little goes along well with a hammerhead for most people. I field a unit of Sniper drones alongside 2 hammerheads because I like the unit, but with a largely mobile force, I'm believing more and more that it's point sink without a large infantry force between it and the enemy.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 05:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

3 Hammerheads in a 1500 Point game is fine, as that is the point level that the game is supposed to be balanced on, there are enough points, and enough FOC slots. Any lower, and you really can't spare the points for anti-tank/infantry(I'd rather have more suits than one personally. Being able to JSJ is better than being a skimmer IMO). I'm all for min/maxing, making competitive lists, and going for 3 HS, but at lower point levels, you don't get the bang for the buck. How many vehicles do you really expect to see below 1000 points?
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 08:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I run three in my 1850 army. 2 Rails and 1 Ion. I was using Broadsides, but have dropped them. Mostly because of the several Blood Angels armies I have seen recently. Too many jump packing powerfists for my lone static part of my army to deal with.
TheMav80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 11:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

No, its perfectly fine.

btw, a "fluffy" mech-tau list based around a single manta-based hunter cadre will always have 4 vehicles. because thats how many vehicles they can carry. So 3 hammerheads and a devilfish is perfectly acceptible.

So at any points value IMO, 4 vehicles is in theme.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote