Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help for a Friend
Old 25 Jun 2007, 18:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Help for a Friend

Hey all.

I was just playing a game with a friend. We were both playing as Tau, in a 500 point combat patrol game, using the foothold rules. By the end of turn two my friends army was pertty much finished off with half a squad of Firewarriors left, which were easily routed the next turn. While his army was decimated, my army, however, remained relatively intact, only losing one Firewarrior. I can't help but think that my list was a little overpowering, and in no way fair.

My opponent ran one squad of Firewarriors in a Devilfish, on squad on foot with Pulse Carbines, and a Crisis with Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker, and two Gun Drones. I ran two Crisis with Twin-linked Missile Pods and Targetting Arrays, five Stealth Suits, and a Squad of Firewarrior in a Warfish.

I fear that the amount of points I put into the elite section made my list too overpowering. What do you guys think?

Snowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
The sacrament of Dakka can be expressed only by those who have experienced it. It is a holy sacrament (of fire) that states "We are firing our guns at you. Die."
The Canadian Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 19:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Help for a Friend

Your list is powerful and well thought out, and his list is more "conventional." I don't mean that to be a slight towards your friend - my starting cadre looks almost exactly the same. It's a good starting core, but it lacks most of the heavy firepower the Tau can call down. His carbines were shorter range, and his Crisis Suit too tricked out to do any one thing extremely well.

On the otherhand, your list is extremely well-designed. It commands the field far better than your friend's list. Your crisis suits are more accurate, your stealth suits hard to target, and your Warfish a mobile chunk of fire support.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 19:25   #3 (permalink)
lonely tau

Heya,

Well, as you've pointed out, you sorta' spent too much in the elites section of the army instead of the troops, which, in my opinion, is where combat patrol should be fought. You don't send your best troops on a scouting duty do you? That is why I believe you have at max 1 crisis suit in a combat patrol mission.

I find the best balance of fairness and power for a Combat Patrol game is basically your opponenet's list with rifles on the unmounted squad.

I'm not saying you should be ashamed of yourself for taking a powergaming powerful list, but in such a small game it sort of detracts from the game's golden rule: have fun!
Old 25 Jun 2007, 20:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Lonely I have to disagree with you on this, armies do send in their best as scouts since they have the best chance of accomplishing the mission. Our first forces on the beach are Navy Seals, followed by the marines, and finally the main army. But even before that we scout from the air with fast moving planes, or from the ground with inflitrated spies/agents.

So for me, 500 point combat patrol lists should include lots elites, infiltrators, and fast moving units in order to be fluffy. Thus my 500 point combat patrol lists look something like this.

Monat Shas'vre, TL:MP, AFP, HWMT - 78 points
Piranha, TA, FB - 70 points
Piranha, TA, FB - 70 points
5XStealth Suits - 150 points
10x Kroot - 70 points
6XFW w/carbines - 60 points

Total 498 points

This to me is what a fluffy Combat patrol list looks like. Piranha, Kroot, and Stealth Suits are all very much suited to forward opertions and scouting missions, while the obligatory 1+ FW team is loaded out with carbines to remain mobile and cheap. The Crisis Shas'vre is there as the "commander" of this small scout patrol.

The problem with a fluffy list like this is that your opponent will cry cheese since it is also extremely powerful. Most of these units set up very late since the majority is either fast attack or infiltrators. That means you will likely be able to out deploy your opponent, which is good both offensively and defensively.

Another powerful thing about this list is that after the Piranha drop their drones, there are a total of 8 units on the board. That is a lot for CP, so your opponent will likely be oversaturated with targets.

Speaking of saturation, there are 2 vehicles with front AV of 11 meaning your opponents heavy weapons will likely be overloaded, especially if you concentrate on taking out those few heavy weapons he has early.

Offensively, this list is packing heat with plenty of dakka and high STR/low AP weaponry.

So you see, sometimes fluffy is powergaming.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 22:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's a good post israfel. Good points there.

Snowbird, I have to agree with Lyi'ot. You had a better patrol for the job.
daniel.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 00:31   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
Lonely I have to disagree with you on this, armies do send in their best as scouts since they have the best chance of accomplishing the mission. Our first forces on the beach are Navy Seals, followed by the marines, and finally the main army. But even before that we scout from the air with fast moving planes, or from the ground with inflitrated spies/agents.
bleh, I didn't mean scouts! I hate it when I type out the wrong things :P

Combat Patrol is basically just a normal patrol, you don't send out your best units for a simple patroling mission, you send them out to do the scouting and attacking. Patroling your territory should be something done to make sure the enemy isn't attacking you, and should simply be done with basic troops, not the best of your best.

To me at least, Combat Patrol is your forces making a simple sweep of some part of your territory, on the border or so, and seeing as no army should really have really elite units out there to do that all the time (what're the normal troops doing while all of the elites do the work?) it just works out as unfluffy to me.
Old 06 Jul 2007, 16:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to PaxAnteBEllum

I think Piranhas, SS, and PF are fluffy in this role. But I've never played combat patrol.