Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fluffy Crisis Teams
Old 25 Jun 2007, 17:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Fluffy Crisis Teams

I was looking at a GW article online and it was describing some of the crisis team configurations teams ratios. Something that I noticed is that there is no accounting for teams of 2, which is something that I was going to theme my army around for the crisis teams; something like a mentor and apprentice that take to the field together

Would you consider teams of two as fluffy for the Tau or is it generally seen as very uncharacteristic of how the Tau operate as a race?

Another reason for teams of 2 is the tactical applications of these size of teams. I see them as being able to offer a reasonable amount of shooting in the team and never being able to fall below half strength. Do you think that this is a good idea or only good on paper?
O_Mont_da_Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 17:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to NileChild
Default Re: Fluffy Crisis Teams

Teams of two are really good if you're running Twin linked weaponry and a Targeting array on each of the suits.

I could see a shas'vre and a shas'ui fighting together as sort of a mentor teacher kind of thing, the shas'vre learning the shas'ui the way of the mont'ka and such. Go for it I say.

NileChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 17:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Theres no fluff against it, so yeah why not.

Teams of two are also great, as you said for never falling below half strength (I use this trick with Pirhanas).

I run a two man Crisis squad with aplasma rifle, missile pod and multi-tracker each and they work wonders for me.

Seems like a good idea to me, go for it.

Wall 5.
wall 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 17:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I`m running two-Crisis-teams as well.

The main problem is that, although you never fall below half strength, one loss is enough to constantly force last man standing tests.... which can be quite frustrating, having to test every turn against the meager Ld of the Tau battlesuits...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 17:50   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I thought last-man-standing tests were removed in 4th edition? Maybe I missed that.

I use crisis teams in pairs often because I like to keep them economical (i.e. non-HQ) but don't always have the Elite slots available.
nojinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 17:52   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
The main problem is that, although you never fall below half strength, one loss is enough to constantly force last man standing tests.... which can be quite frustrating, having to test every turn against the meager Ld of the Tau battlesuits...
I never thought of that... I suppose the only way around that is fielding one man units.

I still may go that direction, but I still need to get the suits to facilitate that plan.

Until then, my teams will be Monats.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 18:29   #7 (permalink)
lonely tau

2 Man Crisis Suit teams are as fluffy as they are functional!

You could say the other member was blown to bits before the battle. You could likewise say say that they prefer to operate in squads of two, as per your original fluff question. There are plenty of different ways to justify it.

Now as a tip for fluffy configurations, Shas'Vre w/ Targetting array (+desired Weapons) and Shas'Ui w/ desired weapons would be a good one, representing the 'Vres higher experience on the battle field and the 'Ui just learning the arts of the battle suit.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 20:27   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
I hope this means "good"...

Quote:
You could say the other member was blown to bits before the battle. You could likewise say say that they prefer to operate in squads of two, as per your original fluff question. There are plenty of different ways to justify it.

Now as a tip for fluffy configurations, Shas'Vre w/ Targetting array (+desired Weapons) and Shas'Ui w/ desired weapons would be a good one, representing the 'Vres higher experience on the battle field and the 'Ui just learning the arts of the battle suit.
This is good to hear. I like the 'Vre and 'Ui configurations; it is the kind of idea that I had in mind for the mentor/student relationship. I am thinking of going as far as pairing an 'El with a 'Vre in the same respect, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

I think that the weapon loadouts would be identical as the 'Ui is learning from the 'Vre and would follow the same path as their mentor.

Old 25 Jun 2007, 20:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I like the monat system best for all battlesuits, but the number of slots available make that difficult for larger games. Two man teams work pretty good, too. Works best when weapons are similar in the team.
daniel.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 23:35   #10 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Mont'da'Nan
Quote:
I hope this means "good"...
Yes, that means good :P

Quote:

This is good to hear. I like the 'Vre and 'Ui configurations; it is the kind of idea that I had in mind for the mentor/student relationship. I am thinking of going as far as pairing an 'El with a 'Vre in the same respect, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

I think that the weapon loadouts would be identical as the 'Ui is learning from the 'Vre and would follow the same path as their mentor.
[/quote]
I personally wouldn't go for a bodyguard team on your commander, but then again I have always liked Independant Character status more than any other type of protection. I guess it is fluffy if you want to try it but I tend to steer away form stuff like that.