Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Tau vs. Imperial Guard, 1500, <Vs. Wargamer>
Old 25 Jun 2007, 04:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default [BatRep] Tau vs. Imperial Guard, 1500, <Vs. Wargamer>

Hello all. I recently played a game against Wargamer&#39;s SIGAFH list. It was an overall fun battle, even though it was a bit booring. This game was played on VASSAL.

Shas&#39;O Be&#39;Limn surveyed his troops from altitude in his Orca Dropship. By looking closely into the ruins of the city of Draynar, he could pick out the fiery yellow of their sept markings aginst the dull grey. Across the barren No-Man&#39;s-Land, a sea of green uniforms met his eye. He knew it would be a hard fight for his forces, and the fact that they would have to do without his support until he dropped into the enemy lines sat ill with him. To his right stood Shas&#39;El Dus&#39;nett, his assitant commander.

The Scenario: Alpha-Level Cleanse

The Armies:

GeekyGator: Ke&#39;lshan Cadre- This is my actual army from real life, so it&#39;s not an optomized force (I had to keep my monetary costs down)

HQ:
Shas&#39;O Be&#39;Limn- Plasma Rifle, Burst Cannon, Shield Generator, HW-MT, Stimm Injector-138 points

Shas&#39;El Dus&#39;nett- Plasma Rifle, Burst Cannon, Targetting Array, Hard Wired Multi Tracker

Elites: 2 Stealth Suits, Stealth Shas&#39;Ui, Targetting Arrays- 125 points.

Troops:

12 FW&#39;s, Shas&#39;Ui, Bonded, Warfish- 265

8 FW&#39;s, Shas&#39;Ui w/Markerlight, 2 Markerlight Drones- 180

Fast Attack:

Pirhanna Squadron, 2 Pirhanna, 2 FB"s, 2x TA, TL, DL- 160

Pirhanna Squadron, 1 Pirhanna, FB, TA, TL, DL- 80

Drone Squadron, 8 Drones- 96

Heavy Support-

Railhead, SMS, Seeker, MT, TL, DP, DL- 195

Ionhead, SMS, Seekre, MT, TL, DP, DL-160

Total- 1492

The Enemy Shooty Imperial Guard Army From Hell (SIGAFH)-

3 Junior Officer Squads with some heavy weaopon
Six Infatntry Squads with some heavy weapon
2 Leman Russ with Las/HB
1 Demolisher with Las/Plasma
(see the Imperial Guard board and the "SIGAFH- The way guard should be" for full list)

The Board was approximatley as follows:

In the top right, a ruin. In the top left, a ruin. In the bottom right, a ruin. In the bottom left, a building. In the middle bottom, a building. In the middle, barricades. You couldn&#39;t see more than 6" into any terrain.

Deployment was as follows: I put my Railhead, Devilfish w/firewarriors, single Pirhana squad, other FW squad into the Right Ruins. My Ion head went into the left ruins. My Stealths inflitrated... into the ruins with the FireWarriros. My Drones and Commanders were to Deepstrike. One Pirhana was in the left ruins, two in the right.

He deployed basically as a solid line of guns, with the 2 Leman Russ&#39; hiding behind the center building and the demolisher in the bottom left ruins.

We rolled for first turn, I belive he opted for me to go first.

Tau Turn 1
I moved my Railhead and Ionhead up to shoot out of the Ruins. The railhead shot the left leman russ, and scored a Vehicle Destroyed! Result on a glance. The Firewarriors Marker-Lit an infantry squad in front of the bottom right building, and the Hammerhead unleashed SMS at it. Only caused 2 casualties. My Ionhead shot the infatnry squad nearest the demolisher, and scored... nothing. (1 Hit. Zero wounds). My stealths hid even farther back into the ruins.

Guard Turn 1:
He unleashes pure hell at me. All of those Heavy Weapons shoot at my railhead and Ionhead, first neutering the railhead and then destroying it. The Ionhead had its Ioncannon removed and was stunned. He shot at my Firewarriors, but only killed 2.
He proc

Tau Turn 2: I rolled for my reserves, and got my Second In Command- Shas&#39;El Dus&#39;Nett

Dus&#39;nett lept out of the Orca as he saw the Hammerhead tank explode. Bowing his head in reverence, he became even more determined to destory the enemy. Unfoforunatley, the winds change, and Dus&#39;Nett was scattered to who-knows-whre, never to be seen again.

Yep, Dus&#39;Nett scattered off the board. He was placed right behind the demolisher. As for movnig, I had my Firewarriors run away, and my left-ruin Pirhana screached at full speed along the board edge. As for shooting, nothing had LOS.

Guard Turn 2: If I remember correctly, he shot the hell out of my Ionhead, but it managed to survive unscathed. Some of the fire was directed at my Pirhana, but he only managed a Armament Destroyed.

Tau Turn 3: My Ionhead un-stunned, it ran back into the ruins. I rolled for reserves and got both my lead commander and Drones.

Be&#39;Limn was slightly worried by his comrade&#39;s lack of response, but he had a duty to fufil for the Tau&#39;Va. He lept out of the Orca, followed by eight trusty drones, screaching towards the earh. Again, the winds shifted, but this time the crew of the Imperial Demolisher had a large amount of blue soup to clean off their tank.

Yep... Shas&#39;O hit the tank. We debated what effect that would have. I figured it was unfair I didn&#39;t get a hit for that. My drones landed right on target, though. Enthused, I ran my pirhana to the Demolisher&#39;s side armor, dropping off four drones and shooting a fusion blaster at the side- no result. The Deep-Struck drones shot the demolisher&#39;s back armor after failing LD for the troopers, and inflicted no damage. The Pirhana drones shot the nearest infantry and killed 2. On a whim, i had my P-Drones charge the enemy, with a draw as a result.

Guard Turn 3: Again, he unleashed hell, killing most of my tightly-packed DS drones with a frag missile, then the rest with lasguns. The combat against my drones ensued, no effect. He couldn&#39;t see my Pirhana because of the tank.

Tau Turn 4: I swung around the side and shot the back armor of the Demolisher with a Fusion Blaster, and managed to pop it. The drones actually managed a win, killing one IG and then running them down. They charged on towards the next squad.

Guard Turn 4: Again, Hell unleashed at my now visible Pirhana, but only one was shaken (the one with the gun). One of the drones was killed, and the other ran away, leaving me with 2.

Tau Turn 5: My Pirhanas, currently unable to shoot, ran to cower behind his still-living russ, while my drones charged the next squad, locking them in CC. It was a draw, however.

Guard Turn 5: Wargamer did the amazing. He MOVED, but just his tank out of the way to nail my Pirhanas. Amazing, ech? He shot the Pirhanas, shook and took the FB off the still-armed one, but failed to kill it. The combat was a draw, again, even though several more squads came to help out.

Tau Turn 6: Wanting to save my Pirhana&#39;s VP, they raced back to hide behind the Demolisher wreck. The combat was a draw again.

Guard Turn 6: A few Heavy Weapons reached out at the one Pirhana that wasn&#39;t quite hidden, but it weatherd the attacks. The Combat was still a draw.

We called the game, and totaled VP. He won by a mere 87 points, making it a draw!

In conclusion: SIGAFH is extremely hard to play against (he did set up the terrain though). If my Commander&#39;s hadn&#39;t gone splat, I might have had a better chance of winning/making it a closer draw. DS&#39;ing is too innaccurate.

Hope you enjoyed!
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 13:16   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: [BatRep] Tau vs. Imperial Guard, 1500, <Vs. Wargamer>

Lol thats why I try not to deepstrike my commanders. 132pts is too much to end up decorating an Imperial tank. Good battle report.
Joebob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 14:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall

I was able to watch the first turn and a half or so before having to crawl into bed but it was fairly obvious from the beginning how it was going to end up.

it was a good game tho. just some lucky shooting
Old 25 Jun 2007, 15:07   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

To be fair, SIGAFH is a brutal thing to play against. Personally, I think you were right to charge with those Pirahnas, it was simply your fear that ruled you. Had you rushed all your units at me, you might have been able to break through. As insane as it sounds, even assaulting may have helped (your Firewarriors can&#39;t be shot if they&#39;re in melee...).

It may not have been exciting to play against, but I couldn&#39;t very well create a list as an example of how SIGAFH works if it clearly didn&#39;t. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 15:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall

What exactly does SIGAFH mean?
Old 25 Jun 2007, 15:45   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Shooty Imperial Guard Army From Hell.

This was the list in question:

Junior Officer with Missile Launcher.
55pts.

Guard squad with Autocannon.
Guard squad with Lascannon.
450pts.

480pts.

Leman Russ with Lascannon and Heavy Bolter Sponsons.
165pts.

Leman Russ with Lascannon and Heavy Bolter Sponsons.
165pts.

Leman Russ Demolisher with Lascannon and Plasma Cannon Sponsons.
185pts.

Incidentally, this army scores between 4 and 7 points (depending on whether you apply the +3 for "More Heavy Support choices than Troop Choices", which seems a bit unfair to apply to an army where 6 squads count as one Troop Choice...). So, either Regular Gamer or Wargamer. Funny that. :P

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 25 Jun 2007, 21:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It&#39;s 7 points, Wargamer. You don&#39;t have to fill up 5 full squads in each platoon. If you took 10 fewer bodies, you could&#39;ve had 4 Troop choices (and gained a Heavy Weapon).

Also, it matches your avatar name.
Screaming defiance with the last breath,
To spit in Sightblinder&#39;s eye on the Last Day.

"Dovie&#39;andi se tovya sagain"

Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost, and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost.

Tell me now, is there a man among you here, is there no one who will stand up and try to fight? Tell me man, is there not one in all your ranks, is there no one who values courage over life?
Deus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 08:16   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
It&#39;s 7 points, Wargamer. You don&#39;t have to fill up 5 full squads in each platoon. If you took 10 fewer bodies, you could&#39;ve had 4 Troop choices (and gained a Heavy Weapon).
A minimum Platoon, with no upgrades, costs 160pts. Add your Heavy Weapons, and it&#39;s 190 minimum.

How many Guard players would waste 190 points on a third Troop Choice? Remember that just one of my Troop Choices, in any other army, would use up all your Troop slots. This is where the problem lies.

Quote:
Old 26 Jun 2007, 20:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
A minimum Platoon, with no upgrades, costs 160pts. Add your Heavy Weapons, and it&#39;s 190 minimum.

How many Guard players would waste 190 points on a third Troop Choice? Remember that just one of my Troop Choices, in any other army, would use up all your Troop slots. This is where the problem lies.
And it costs 180 points, minimum, to buy 3 more squads for your Platoon, and has the same cost per squad for a heavy weapon as the command squad. You actually save points by grabbing more minimized Platoons...
Screaming defiance with the last breath,
To spit in Sightblinder&#39;s eye on the Last Day.

"Dovie&#39;andi se tovya sagain"

Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost, and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost.

Tell me now, is there a man among you here, is there no one who will stand up and try to fight? Tell me man, is there not one in all your ranks, is there no one who values courage over life?
Deus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 20:29   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Not really.

60 points for a squad = 9 meatshields.

40 points for a Command Squad = 4 meatshields.

I know which one I&#39;d rather have.

Quote: