Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Back In The Fray After 2 Years
Old 24 Jun 2007, 05:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Back In The Fray After 2 Years

I posted a highly-similar question in another forum, but I only obtained one generic "yea, sure if you want to"-type reply. Totally forgot about this forum :P

I've been away from the game for almost 2 years, during which time I've been really on and off about it, never taking it seriously although that didn't stop me from doing things like getting the latest Tau codex

I'm wondering about a few thing that I hope you guys could update me on:

1) Whats the common style nowadays? Are mecha Tau still in, or have hybrids taken over? Or are they both co-existing with a similar frequency of use?

2) Piranhas, yay or nay? I was pretty excited to get a LSeq (Land Speeder equivalent :P) for the Tau, although to a certain extent they are softer targets than speeders. They are a little pricey but can spawn a squad of Gun Drones, which are pretty good IMO.

3) Vespids, yay or nay? I think I know this one......"too fragile and expensive" :P

4) Has the popularity of Kroot gone up since the 3rd ed? In the past (at least to my experience) people rarely used more than a squad or two of 10-man kroot.

5) Skyray, yay or nay (as in, over Broadsides and Hammerheads)? Looks good. No qualms about the limited firepower since really a single-shot gun only gets a max of 6 shots per game, having the ability to dump them all rapidly is a bonus IMO. And I'm really loving that mobile ML ;D

6) Ethereals had an improvement since the 3rd ed rules. Has this increased their frequency of being fielded?

7) Sniper Drones, yay or nay? I personally feel they are a tad expensive points-wise, and they do eat up that valuable HS slot we have, although thankfully we can take alot of them for a single slot.

8) Shield Generators have never really proven to be that popular. Is there a reason to this, other than relying on terrain to jump back behind during the Assault Phase? Because recently relatively "open" tables with a lack of terrain are common, making "jumping back behind terrain" not always a valid option.

So anyway, hoping to get some awesome replies on these questions.
Thanks!
Joasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2007, 07:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Back In The Fray After 2 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasht
1) Whats the common style nowadays? Are mecha Tau still in, or have hybrids taken over? Or are they both co-existing with a similar frequency of use?
I think mecha are still pretty much on top of the pile when it comes to competitive armies, but hybrid and static haven’t been abandoned yet.

Quote:
2) Piranhas, yay or nay? I was pretty excited to get a LSeq (Land Speeder equivalent :P) for the Tau, although to a certain extent they are softer targets than speeders. They are a little pricey but can spawn a squad of Gun Drones, which are pretty good IMO.
Their alright. They’ve got a few tricks up their sleeve (seeker missiles is one I like), but not everyone is enthralled with them.

Quote:
3) Vespids, yay or nay? I think I know this one......"too fragile and expensive" :P
Most people say Nay.

Quote:
4) Has the popularity of Kroot gone up since the 3rd ed? In the past (at least to my experience) people rarely used more than a squad or two of 10-man kroot.
Nope, their still unpopular with a lot of people. I don’t know why, I think their freaking awesome, especially for their price.

Quote:
5) Skyray, yay or nay (as in, over Broadsides and Hammerheads)? Looks good. No qualms about the limited firepower since really a single-shot gun only gets a max of 6 shots per game, having the ability to dump them all rapidly is a bonus IMO. And I'm really loving that mobile ML ;D
Again a Nay, some people don’t seem to realize what you have already (max of 6 shots per game anyways).

Quote:
6) Ethereals had an improvement since the 3rd ed rules. Has this increased their frequency of being fielded?
They got nerfed (LOS requirement), not an improvement. Their as rare as a blue moon these days. The 1+ XV8 HQ requirement didn’t help either. Now the only real reason to get one is for the Honorguard…maybe.

Quote:
7) Sniper Drones, yay or nay? I personally feel they are a tad expensive points-wise, and they do eat up that valuable HS slot we have, although thankfully we can take alot of them for a single slot.
Yay on this one I’d say. Theirs not much to hate about these guys. Sure it’s a HS slot, but they sure do eat up MEQ’s well.

Quote:
8) Shield Generators have never really proven to be that popular. Is there a reason to this, other than relying on terrain to jump back behind during the Assault Phase? Because recently relatively "open" tables with a lack of terrain are common, making "jumping back behind terrain" not always a valid option.
Shield drones are cheaper and better, in a sense. The only downfall is that you lose the INV. Save once the drone dies (better then loosing the model though).

Welcome back to the hobby .
Old 24 Jun 2007, 08:12   #3 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

1) Mech is popular.
2) Duo teams with TA and FB run 140p , spawn 4 drone teams and well are quite good anti tank. Nasty tactics like blocking all access hatches and frying transport + troops . Personally they do good for me allowing to move bit A-Tank from HS to FA.
3) Don`t bother with them.
4) Good counter charge , scary firebase in woods , they even go along with mech as inflitration denial (10 man squads).
5) They are OK but when faced with Railheads or Ionheads they start to lose ... IF they would get moved to FA. If you like idea of mobile markerlight do search for Tetra .
6) Useless with current rules.
7) They can lay down some nice hurt and each team brings BS4 Markerlight.Hybrid force should have them.
8 ) Shield Drones > Generator mostly. The only instance when I would consider shield generator would be IC .
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2007, 08:42   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the replies.

I've personally never understood why people like Shield Drones that much...I don't like how they count for morale, VP and stuff. Doesn't any of that bother people?
Old 24 Jun 2007, 12:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Most weapons that are AP3 or lower are also S8 or higher... meaning that if you fail your Shield Gen save, the suit gets insta-killed. I'd much rather lose a 15 pt Drone and take a morale check than lose a 80+ pt suit. The "close protection" special rule given to Shield Drones has made them one of the biggest improvements in the new Codex: Tau Empire in my opinion, especially on Broadsides. A T4 ablative wound with a 2+/4+ save for 15 pts is a steal in my book.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2007, 13:05   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'm curious; does losing your two drones cause your battlesuit to be considered "last man standing"?
Old 24 Jun 2007, 13:34   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
I'm wondering about a few thing that I hope you guys could update me on:
Sure thing.

Quote:
Well, in terms of competitiveness, then I would say Hybrid and Mech are the ones. But the triad of Mech, Hybrid and static are still alive.

Quote:
Softer? They have better armour and also they have two passangers abroad (drones) free for a prize of a land speeder.

I say if you want something unexpected, take the pirahans and enjoy yourself. I always take two of them in any game.

Quote:
Well, this one is a little tough. They can work in certain situations and they are perfect marine killers. But for the sheer survival rate of these guys, I say nay.

Quote:
Well, they have better rules now, but people still field them in squads of 10-12 kroots

Quote:
Well, they are okay in my opinion, but I prefer a more constant shot than a short burst of dakkaness and then becomes a moving marker platform.

But a moving marker platfrom is also okay. :P

They are most definetely usable.

Quote:
They have been nerfed. So I say not really.

Quote:
Never used them before, so I leabve this one to the others who have used them before.

Quote:
Shield Generators have never really proven to be that popular. Is there a reason to this, other than relying on terrain to jump back behind during the Assault Phase? Because recently relatively "open" tables with a lack of terrain are common, making "jumping back behind terrain" not always a valid option.
I use the shield generator as I often use my HQ in a more agressive way (hunting termies), and I want him to benefit from his IC status. So shield Generator it is.

Quote:
I'm curious; does losing your two drones cause your battlesuit to be considered "last man standing"?
According to the rules, it would be a yes in my opinion.

Quote:
So anyway, hoping to get some awesome replies on these questions.
Thanks!
I just did.

No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2007, 13:56   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Perhaps its just me being blur and all, but why are Ethereals "worse" than they were in 3rd ed? At least now you can get an elite FW bodyguard and your men get Preferred Enemies when he dies @_@

Thanks again.
Old 24 Jun 2007, 15:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

***Walks to a tree***

Hey mate and welcome!

***Opinion bares no warranty or return policy***

Now...

Everyone covered everything so far... Except.....

I do like Sky Ray -> Mostly because it is less of a fire magnet and very durable. Plus weapon destroyed does not make it useless (Unlike when rail gun/Ion cannon get blown off...)

Kroot -> YES! Of course yes! Just do not assalt! Sit in cover (you get I 10) and unless you are fighting units with plasma grenades (Eldar) then you will strike first or simuntantiosly (if they got frags). Meanwhile just shoot and grab objective and irritate your opponent forcing him to split fire.

Quote:
Perhaps its just me being blur and all, but why are Ethereals "worse" than they were in 3rd ed? At least now you can get an elite FW bodyguard and your men get Preferred Enemies when he dies @_@

Thanks again.
Aaa still no. Preferred enemy? Aaa and who exactly fights in HtH in Tau forces? Kroot? They do not get it as they could care less if 100 enthrals die as long as they'll get their pay checks. Plus when he dies then everyone in LOS (i think in LOS) must take moral check or fall back. Not a good idea when your battle suits just decide to leave the battle...

As for honor guard -> He will lose IC status. Plus its over priced. Just get maker lights and it will do wonders.

He is also horrible in HtH T3 and NO armor save of any kind... Thats just a joke...

Sorry mate, but he has very "limited" (approaching -> NONE) uses in the game...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------->

I hope I helped.
On a side note -> READ sticky by Olanon... (Opens separate tab and finds that SOMEONE took off the article by Olanon...) :sadnshocked: Did not expect that...
There was a brilliant article written by that dude... Ok... moving on...

Check the "Important Topics" sticky and read "Mobile Infantry" by TonkaTruckDriver
Its a new concept. Its kind of an alternative to the mEch tau, in case you'd like to know. (And no I am a Mech guy myself)

Ok thats would be it ;D

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2007, 19:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hiya and welcome to the forums.

Most everything has been covered, but I had to throw in my 2 cents about Piranhas since they are so misunderstood.

Read the following tactica I wrote a while back and it will pretty much explain everything these sweet skimmers bring to the table.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=35145.0

Enjoy!