Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shas'marine
Closed Thread
Old 24 Jun 2007, 03:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to NileChild
Default Shas'marine

Does anyone else think that it is viable for a younger chapter of marines to convert to the greater good? Before the protests of how it would never work out and goes against all fluff hear me out.

Ok so a while ago, a couple of..... well half of the space marines flip flopped sides and started worshiping a bunch of evil, brutal, strange, narcissistic and disgusting gods that are complete polar opposites of their previous beliefs. So I really don't think it would be strange if a young, naive chapter of marines converted to the greater good, seeing it as a rising power and alternative to the Imperium? Or even some veterans realizing that the Imperium of man is dying and switching to the winning team.

That's my standpoint, and from a gaming perspective it would be utterly cheesy to have marines fighting alongside railguns and crisis suits. But more of a fluff standpoint, I was thinking about projects for a second army and since I love Tau, why not model and create fluff for a space marine army that fights for the Greater good. Good idea? I know the space marine players would not be to happy with it, but meh, 3+ save on basic units, I can't feel sorry for marine players if I convert a chapter to the greater good.

Old 24 Jun 2007, 03:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Shas'marine

I'm no fluff expert, but I could see it happening. The thing about marines is, all the chapters are completely separated from one another. Hell, the Space Wolves actually fight the Templars every once in a while. I could definitely see a small sect of marines converting to the greater good, maybe and outcast sect. Who knows.

-Chrisness
Old 24 Jun 2007, 03:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Frankly from a fluff perspective... no.

Marines turning to chaos is more complex than that summary. The origional reason was because chaos offered the power to dethrone the Emperor, who the traitor legions saw as a tyrant obsessed with obtaining godhood. Even now most Chaos Marines do not believe they "serve" Chaos so much as use it, or at least that's what they tell themselves.

Now Marines are on a very basic level disgusted by aliens and have an immense hatred for them. Remember most marines are recruited from savage worlds who face hardships regularly and probably have a history of trouble with Chaos and Xenos of all manners and the Chapter will have fought the xenos on many occasions.

It is still possible for Chapters to turn rogue from the Imperium, such as the Soul Drinkers. But it is another thing entirely for Space Marines to serve the Tau Empire. For one the Tau Empire is extremely small compared to the rest of the Galaxy, Ultramar dwarfs the Tau Empire many times over and that is the realm of the Ultramarines alone, just one chapter. Add that to the basic revulsion and hatred for the xenos by every astartes and it doesn't make much sense for any Space Marine to side with the Tau.

Turn against the Imperium, yes. Sometimes ally with the Tau by necessity. But for Space Marines to turn against the Emperor and then bend knee to the Tau doesn't make much sense fluff wise.

Of course you can always do whatever you wish in the end.

Old 24 Jun 2007, 03:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They could have captured one of there keeps and expiremented on there GUe'vesa',sigh' like jonny'(points to dead man dead stuck in power armour)

"Okay, my Commisar charges your Chosen squad, that squad of Marines there will open up on the squad of Cultists, my Predator will shoot your Rhino, and, oh yes, my Warlord Titan shoots in the general direction of your army and kills everything. Good game, man."
Old 24 Jun 2007, 04:09   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i agree that fluff wise it would be complitly rediculas to have marines fighting for the greater good. but that dose not mean its not possible.if a new chaper where to start close to tau space it would be simple for the tau to over run the homeworld of the chaper. they could then investaget the gene-seed technology they could then eseayly rewier them to fight there once battle brothers for the greater good.

(parden my misspells that i have made)
Old 24 Jun 2007, 04:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
. For one the Tau Empire is extremely small compared to the rest of the Galaxy, Ultramar dwarfs the Tau Empire many times over and that is the realm of the Ultramarines alone, just one chapter.
IIRC, Vash, Arn't the ultramarines (along with the black templars) one of the few "Big" chapters that doesn't obey the one thousand marine limit?

Anyways, Unlikely, but it might happen. You never really know.
Old 24 Jun 2007, 04:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign fighter
i agree that fluff wise it would be complitly rediculas to have marines fighting for the greater good. but that dose not mean its not possible.if a new chaper where to start close to tau space it would be simple for the tau to over run the homeworld of the chaper. they could then investaget the gene-seed technology they could then eseayly rewier them to fight there once battle brothers for the greater good.

(parden my misspells that i have made)
There is a spell check, lower right corner before you post.

On topic, that's really far fetched. Marines are nowhere near as corruptable as normal people, the constant litanies of "Kill the Mutant! Burn the Heretic! Purge the Alien!" make a difference. And don't forget the Marines have let the Tau know they fight to the death to defend the Imperium, after Medusa V I doubt the Tau would negotiate with marines(I wouldn't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Old 24 Jun 2007, 05:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

The Ultramarines have the most territory but almost all chapters have a Homeworld or perhaps an entire system under their dominance and might maintain chapter keeps and a vigil over quite a lot more territory. A small chapter might still be tasked with protecting an area of space larger than the Tau empire. Remember there is less than one marine for every planet in the Imperium.

As for Chapter Keeps no the Tau could not engineer marines. Marines don't even know how it works. Without the precise bio-engineering rites and rituals and careful maintanence the gene-seed does not do much and the organs must be grown from the gene-seed.

The only person in the Galaxy besides the Emperor who probably knows the secrets behind the creation of Space Marines is Fabius Bile and he is more than 10,000 years old.

The Tau do not have the facilities, knowledge or research capacities to reverse engineer marines and Gue'vesa in the Tau Empire would not under any stretch of the imagination be hard enough warriors to draw for marine recruitment. The examples of Gue'vesa we have are of rogues from the Imperium, pirates and degenerates seeking an escape, or the sons and daughters of Imperial Soldiers left behind during the Damocles Gulf Crusade and who now live a life largely dominated by farming and the occasional militia duties for the Tau.

Marines draw their recruits from the most brutal hivers, savage feral world tribesman and the fiercest warriors from across the Imperium, who are then trained extensively by the Chapters veterans and undergo careful surgery to implant the various new organs, once more something the Tau do not have the capacity to do.

Tau have power armor, Tau have nice tech, but the Tau technology is still primitive compared to the ancient human technologies. Granted much of those technologies is now lost, but not before the Space Marines were created and many ancient weapons and warships were created. It would take Tau an immense ammount of time to reverse engineer even the simplist of the ancient Terran technologies, the Adeptus Mechanicus toils for centuries to decipher the smallest of secrets and they have a lot more practice at doing so.

Old 24 Jun 2007, 06:05   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Back during the Horus Heresy, Space Marines were not as indoctrinated to worship and venerate the emperor, their primarchs, nor were they warned as much from keeping away from other "external influences" as they are today. Combined with the fact that Marines are like dedicated to wiping out any form of heretic and alien, I see this as really unlikely.

They may, however, form temporary alliances with the Tau for a greater objective.
Old 24 Jun 2007, 07:54   #10 (permalink)
SCT
Kroot Warrior

Slightly off topic here, however on a similar theme........Humans in service of the Tau.

I found this on Cool Mini or Not during a search for tau, sorry don't have the direct link.

Interesting concept and looks pretty good..........

SCT
Closed Thread