Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First Tournament ever, help?
Old 23 Jun 2007, 17:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default First Tournament ever, help?

Hey guys, next week I have my very first 40K tournament.

I'm supposed to bring a 1000 pt army (which I have yet to think up) and my range of opponents varies greatly, so far I've heard there's gonna be Eldar, 'nids, Dark Eldar (or Black Templars), Necrons, Sisters, perhaps Dark Angels and probably Chaos as well.

Now I'm already kind of used to making take-all-comers lists (I've never even considered tailoring a list an option), but I would like some help in fine-tuning my list, as well as things to look out for (anything, from specific units to things like ruleslawyering, bad sportsmanship, etc)

Most of these players are friends of mine, some of them are average gamers (about my level), but 2 of them are diehard competitive players, so for my list I'd like something capable of putting up a good fight against win-oriented lists, without being too cheesy.

Now I'm considering taking the following:
2x 12 FW's (bonded)
2x Broadside w/ Shield Drones
1x Shas'El Fireknife (w/TA) and Shield Drones

and using this as the base of my army, adding Deathrain suits and skimmers for mobility and cutting off enemy forces approaching the units mentioned above.

So, any thoughts on what the best approach would be for me?

PS: I'm not out to win the whole thing, but I would like to win at least 1 game :P
Old 23 Jun 2007, 18:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: First Tournament ever, help?

You should aim for a balanced list. Being able to face all kinds of armies is quite difficult to achieve.

I found these "guidelines" rather helpful myself:

-do not take unecessary wargear
- each unit has to be equipped for the task they are up to, nothing more
-choose the right tool for the right job: try too take only the most fitting units for different tasks, like objective-grabbing or tankhunting
- compromise: you cannot take unit A for GEqs and unit B against MEqs.... take a unit that can deal with both...

And here http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=47802.0 I jave an armylist played at a tournament, with quite some success I might add. It is 1500, but you will get the feeling of how to equip units for competetive gaming.

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2007, 20:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to privateryann

There seems to be a good deal of power armor in that list of opponents...Take measures accordingly. IMO an ion cannon would do you wonders.
privateryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2007, 20:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Do a take all comers, but skew torward MEQ. Not only are marines popular as all heck, MEQ focused armies also deal nicely with sisters and necrons.

If in doubt between two options similarly priced, and it's an ap vs dakka choice, go dakka. Its generally more flexible.

Make sure to bring a few high str shots. Broadsides are generally the easiest way, but it depends on the rest of your list too. This is really nice for bringing down high T chars as well as armor hunting.

Never bring just one tank. Go none, or take a few.

Relax, and don't worry too much. People rarely win their first tourneys, but they are a blast, and anyhow, if you worry too much, you generally make mistakes anyhow, so just have a good time.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2007, 20:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thanks guys ^^

I'm usually a Mech player myself, so I'll probably be taking quite a few vehicles to keep my opponent tied up, while my static forces wear down their units...

Guess I'm going Hybrid then
Old 23 Jun 2007, 23:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ah, 1000pt tau. they can be supremely vicious as that level.

whats always worked for me is load out on your heavy support. 3 hammerheads always works a treat! ;D (then again, for me, i go to tournaments to chill out, drink, get drunk, and relax, as my "friendly" games are just *that* bloody competitive! - mine is an underpowered list here!)

2 railheads, ionhead, 2 squads of kroot, fire warriors in a devilfish, a shas'el and shas'ui xv8. works fine for me.

Other lists i've seen to perform extremely well are 2 broadsides, 2 hammerheads, and load out the rest with XV8s, fire warriors and kroot.

What works well is to have enough units to do a job properly, with a degree of redundancy, without sacraficing too much of your points limit, and screwing over your ability to deal with other things.

Dont take just one broadside as your sole anti tank, say. as it is, it can be easily swamped by armour, and if you take it out, you cant take on armour. Similarly, taking 9 is overkill. Sure, you'll do well against an IG armoured company, but you've 700 odd points given over to one niche, and you'll suffer elsewhere.

So, here is your checklist.

Can you take out heavy armour?
Have at least 2 railguns present (yes, even at 1000pts!), and at least one of them should be mobile on a hammerhead.

Can you take out infantry?
I find my 3 hammerheads possess enough str5 shots with thier burst cannons, plus my kroot give excellent back up here. Or by other standards, have enough fire warriors there to make a dent in their infantry
Can you take on light armour?
Leave the rails for the heavy duty stuff! Have at the very least an ion cannon. Or 1-2 suits (like your commander) with missile pods. just to crack open those AV10-12 tin cans. XV8s and ion cannons are your best bet here.

Are you mobile?
Mech tau is fine. everything moves over 6" a turn. at least have some fast moving stuff to give you some countering ability, rapid moving ability.

Do you have muscle?
Take kroot for numbers. Or fire warriors. get your army wound count up a bit. Having more bodies in your force is a good thing. relying solely on your armour is a mistake.

Can you counter shooting?
If you're mobile, no problem! Can you take out these units (see above) or avoid them.

Can you counter close combat? Kroot, vehicle rules, photon grenades, other counter assault strategies.

Can you counter their long range stuff? Or their short range stuff
Do you have things that can reach out and touch them? Railguns. Do you have things that can get up close and personal? Rapid firing fire warriors, or Kroot.

Obviously, the same few things can do different roles, like the aforementioned railheads, and kroot (2 best things in the tau army list imo). Just remember, have enough stuff to do a job well, without sacraficing your ability to deal with other stuff. and you have a balanced army that can take on what the other guy throws at you.

(And while i do mention taking 3 hammerheads at 1000pts, bear in mind that im from an extremely competitive environment, and what we do is often.... frowned upon, to say the least, even though my lists are always perfectly fluffy, but thats another debate! if you think 3 is too much, then take 2. Or 1 and 2 broadsides. I'd at least recommend you to take that)

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 03:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you are allowed forgeworld(check first, many tourneys do not), the TL fusion turret on the hammerhead rocks. Rail, fusion, ion is a great combo.

The TL fusion solves your main problem...missing. Sure, the range is shorter, but it's not as if you care, given that you move 12" a turn anyhow. The melta effect more than compensates for the lower str compared to a railgun, and while your large blast is downgraded to a blast, the boosted str/ap means you decimate pretty much anything. Termies? nurgle troops? Dead.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 12:19   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I agree with privateryann, your opponents seem to be encased in 3+ saves. Take some helios suits or an ionhead, if you can.
Joebob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 16:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Why don't you want to win the tournament? I find that odd. Have fun, but you should go in trying to win, even though it is your first one. I took second in the first tournament I entered. As far as tactics and listing building, I think a lot of the others have given good suggestions.

My 1000 point list has a pair of Bass and an Ionhead as my heavies, one mounted fire warrior squad, two squads of ten kroot, and the rest as XV8s. I haven't tried it yet, but next tournament list I make is going to have two BASS, an Ionhead, and three sniper teams. Not many people expect anyone to bring those snipers, and they are great at killing MEQs.

With tactics remember your mission objectives and watch the time limit. I've seen people loose a game because they didn't watch the clock, and were unable to implement their strategies. This happens most with Necrons and Orks. I've also won games because my opponent didn't try to take the objectives and just tried to kill my army. Don't feel like you have to get into a firefight. Go ahead and hide the Piranha all game and then have it dash across the board to take that last loot counter. DO NOT forget to JSJ either.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 00:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

eh, I already know that if I end up facing my younger brother, it'll be luck and luck alone that'll help me beat him, as he's got way more experience than me and knows the strengths and weaknesses of my army and by now also knows my general playstyle (though I know his as well).

Fortunately though, I consider him to be the only player I know (in my local community) to be a better player than me, judging by the way other people play, but that's another story.

here's what I've come up with so far, with the help of a friend:
2x HH (IC/RG, both have Burst Cannons, MT, TA, TL and DL)
2x Deathrain Crisis Suit (split up though, so not a unit)
1x Shas'El with TA, HMT, FB and MP
1x F. Piranha
2x Warfish w/ 10x FW

it totals at exactly 1000 pt