Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactics
Closed Thread
Old 27 Feb 2005, 16:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to battlecraze
Default Tactics

Hi everyone
I just started with the tau and i need some help. I've played 2 battles and lost both of the. I have 12 fire warriors, i battle suit with burst cannon, plasma, and multi tracker. I also have 2 pathfinders with rail rifles and 4 drones.
Please help me!!!!
Old 27 Feb 2005, 16:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: Tactics

read the stickies at the top to find a huge arrary of tactics, nicely complied for you! When you have read them come abck if you have any more queries. Oh yeah, welcome to the forums and the tau board ;D
Old 27 Feb 2005, 16:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

what are stickies
Old 27 Feb 2005, 17:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

the topics, 'stuck' at the top of the board, 'important topics' and 'posting guidelines'. Make sure you have read both and in particular http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=4815.0 to find out about tau tactics, you will fidn links to know your self, know your enemy, FoF and other useful threads.
Old 27 Feb 2005, 17:17   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Stickies are the more important topics that are at the top of the page. Unlike the other threads, these ones don't "go away" if noone posts in them for a while. As for tactics, I don't think you even have an army list that follows the codex rules. I'm pretty sure the minimum requirement for a pathfinder team is more than 2, and besides that, only half the pathfinder squad can take rail rifles and the squad must take a devilfish. To make the most out of your drones, I'd say take 8 or take none. The battle suit config looks okay, so what are your FW equipped w/ ?
Old 27 Feb 2005, 23:24   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Me and my friends are just starting out so we aren't using all the rules about squads. and my fire warriors have photon garnades, 1 of them has a marker light and one of them is a shas'ui. Sould i make 2 squads of 6 or 1 of 12
Old 27 Feb 2005, 23:50   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'd drop the photon grenades and markerlight, they aren't needed/worth the cost. What race does your opponent play?
Old 28 Feb 2005, 00:28   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Me(tau and my friend (tyranids) go on 1 team and them there are these other 2 kids that play space marines on blood angels and my last friend(imperial gard) goes with the space marines. thanx for all the help!
Old 28 Feb 2005, 03:53   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Tau w/ 'nids as allies? Now I gotta hear the fluff for that. Anyway, it looks like you've got the best of both worlds in your "alliance". The 'nids are awesome in CC so they should rush while you sit back and blast away (I take it from your post that you guys play 2v2?). Well, since you have 'nids to help, I would replace the burst cannon on the crisis w/ a missile pod. Hopefully, your ally will tie up any enemy units who try to engage you in CC, so there is little/no need for close range guns. If you only want to use 4 drones then here's my suggestion: since the drones will be pretty much out of the game after they take a single casualty, keep 'em in reserve and then deep strike 'em behind the enemy's tanks (since ur playing against IG, I'm assuming they have tanks). These guys will pretty much be "one-shot-wonders" used to take out tanks from the rear (if the enemy doesn't take tanks, deep strike these guys next to the IG heavy weapons squads or any other vulnerable targets). The rest of your troops should try and take out any of the enemy's template weapons as they will be devastating against the 'nids. You can then pretty much just run around blasting w/e the 'nids haven't tied up in combat. Maybe you could use ur rail rifles to pin enemy units so that the 'nids have an easier time advancing w/o getting blown to bits. Since you're playing a 2v2 game, your tactics will really be dependant on what your ally takes as well as how you play. I would suggest discussing your game plan w/ you ally and come up with a pair of army lists that really complement each other. Remember that you should be focused on long range support while the 'nid player closes in. Thus, you should try to get rid of any short range weapons (burst cannons, carbines, etc.) and go for the long range stuff. The 'nid player should config his guys (warriors/tyrant if he takes one) to excel in CC. Note that the blood angels guy will focus on assault, while the IG focus on shooting (this is how they played right?), so it may eventually come down to you vs. IG and 'nids vs. SM.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 12:42   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

if tyranids are on yyour team i would actually hide them and use them as kroot. wait dont. i changed my mind ur playing guard. the guard have soooooo many guns so send the tyranids headlong at the guard to tie them up, while u can destroy the marines. hen if the guard survives u kill the guard because they will be very damaged. just be careful in deployment and dont leave any big expensive units in LoS and range ofthe whole guard force
Closed Thread