Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Strategy help
Old 22 Jun 2007, 18:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Strategy help

I keep getting my d'yi kicked by my brother's raven guard. I have the tau battleforce as well as a Crisis Battlesuit Commander. My brother has 5 scouts with snipers (one has a missile launcher), a 10-man tactical squad (1 missile launcher, 1 melta, 1 captain with chainsword + plasma pistol), and a chaplain (jump pack, crozius arcanum, rosarius)
Are there any units i need that would help me win, or are there any tips to help me win with my existing force?
Old 22 Jun 2007, 19:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to NileChild
Default Re: Strategy help

Lots of Plasma fire for your suits because plasma rifles kill marines amazingly well, I'm not sure what comes in the battleforce box or what points levels you're playing at but it's always a good idea to mount your Firewarriors in a a devilfish.

Also a huge thing, keep your suits away from the missile launchers because the instant kill your suits.

A question is he running 2 HQ choices? Because a captain is an HQ choice, I think you mean sergeant but I'm just checking.

Use kroot to tie up his chaplain by infiltrating or running them up in his face to if not beat the marines in CC, at least tie them up for a round or two of combat.

That's all the advice I can give for you.

NileChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 19:22   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks, I'll take all that into consideration.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 19:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintan
I keep getting my d'yi kicked by my brother's raven guard. I have the tau battleforce as well as a Crisis Battlesuit Commander. My brother has 5 scouts with snipers (one has a missile launcher), a 10-man tactical squad (1 missile launcher, 1 melta, 1 captain with chainsword + plasma pistol), and a chaplain (jump pack, crozius arcanum, rosarius)
Are there any units i need that would help me win, or are there any tips to help me win with my existing force?
List out your stuff, please. Tau battle force - 3 suits, 12 fire warriors, and a bunch of kroot, right?

versus a chaplain, a 10-man tac. squad and a 5 man scout squad.

Why are you losing? How is he winning? Do you play using terrain? What size boards? How do you and he set up, and what is it that he does that gets you?
Does he hold the tac. squad and range and fire missiles? CHarge up the chaplain and assault on his own? etc.

by rights, you should have this guy owned.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 20:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

Agreed with Deadnight here.

You have more points than him (should have anyway) and you also have the opportunity to use plenty anti-marine fire-power. The only exception I see here is a small board with no terrain where he can insta-kill your suits, pin the fire warriors and engage your crisis' with his chaplain.

~Olannon
Olannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 21:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Deadnight is wrong on the box content ^_^ (I'm holding box right now)

It has Fish, 12 FW, 12 kroot, 3 XV25 and a suit. Plus he has HQ suit.

But Deadnight is right -> How in the world are you losing?

What point level are you playing?!

If anything I'll take a space marine side hear -> He has 16 units... and only 11 are in Power Armor...

You have -> 3 fully functioning troop units 1 elite and possible of 2 HQs!!!

You can do this -> Make suits HQ and give them Helioses (PR + FB + TA + HW MT) Or make one Helios and one centurion (PR + CIB + HW MT + TA).

Take stealth suits for Elite (plz NO marker drones!)

Split FW in two squads of 6 and mount one on fish OR make 6 units into pathfinders (for the time being) OR mount 12 warriors on fish.

Stick kroot into cover. Even if he assalts you with frags he will lose his ubber initiative and strike simultaneously. He doesn't even has a flamer!

Keep HQs away from harms way. With plasma rifle you can JsJ and shoot at 30'. Chaplain with Jump pack CAN'T possibly assalt that long...

When he comes with 7 shots from centurion (2 are AP2) and 3 shots (all AP 2 & 1) from Helios he has little chance chance. Hide away from bolter fire or screen your warriors with fish. Fish is immune (almost except missile luncher and double 6 on sniper rifle, and melta & plasma) to a most of the stuff he has...

I think I'd rather take the Raven Guard side... Doesn't seemed like a fair fight...

P.S. What field are you playing on? What point level? What else does your brother uses?

I'm sorry if I sound harsh... but with so much points and a vehicle (which is a great thing btw, don't forget decoy launchers)... Just stay away from the chappy, stick kroot & stealth suits into cover and don't let snipers draw line of sight to your suits.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 21:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog
Deadnight is wrong on the box content ^_^ (I'm holding box right now)
grumble.

in my day, when GW made proper games, and tau were tau, the tau battle force had what i said it had! all you munchkins should respect your elders. *grumble grumble* damned new fangled stealth suits. we didnt need them in the day when shas'la were shas'la! And those damned anti grav boxes that scuttle troops everywhere! we walked where we needed to go, and by the tau'va, if things got in our way, we just shot them! No need to go running and hiding in a tin can with anti grav!

;D

*continues with more senile ramblings*

sorry guys, had to go all out random on you all!

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 22:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes! I stinged deadnight! ***Does a victory dance*** ^_^

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 23:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

as a fellow semi-new Tau Empire player, i too know the sting of losing to the marines. believe me or not, i've only ever gone first in two of the twenty games i've played. my best reccomendation would be to infiltrate a squad of 10 kroot and 5 hounds near the chaplain and hopefully get them to him as fast as krootly possible, or since he'll most likely leap away, go after those non-mobile snipers. 10 kroot and 5 hounds is just shy of 100 points and a real steal: on a charge they'll get 30 S4 I3 attacks and 15 S4 I5 attacks, meaning that a third of your unit will strike BEFORE the snipers even get to act. You should hit roughly 70% of the time and wound half of that time, so we can average about six or so wounds per charge, before saves. Not too shabby for unarmoured bird-mens.

Also keep in mind that kroot ignore difficult terrain if it's wooded or jungle, meaning they can zip through forested bottlenecks.

As a harassment unit, they can see/shoot through 12" of woods, not the usual 6" as well as benefit from fieldcraft, meaning a free 4+ save in the woods. Put them 7" in a forest and ping off people with their rifles, which are essentially like slightly inaccurate bolters. They'll get a 4+ cover save that cannot be denied by any ranged weapon, and should someone charge at them, they'll only get about 2d6/2 inches in, or about 3 or so and then get charged themselves!

Of course, if you're not battling it out in a wooded or forested area, leave them at home!!
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 06:05   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

We have been playing roughly 400/450 point battles with not much terrain and no woods or jungles. I'm working on a game table, but its a slow process.