Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Seige Army and Seige Cannon
Old 21 Jun 2007, 22:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau Seige Army and Seige Cannon

I am restoring my tau army, as can be seen in the showcase board.

I want this army to reflect a cadre that is stationed on a ship and would board enemy ships. Just like the Kel'shan Sept but because at the time I started my tau
the new and fancy codex was not released so i knew nothing of the kel'shan sept :'(

my question is what units would reflect this type of warfare.

I own

5 crisis battlesuits
5 stealth battlesuits
36 firewarriors
12 kroot carnivores
8 gun drones
1 hammerhead

i plan on ordering two devilfish troop transports but what units do you think reflect the work of this cadre.

i thought stealthsuits would be suited (no pun intended) to the close quartes of boarding ships and possibly broadsides instead of hammerheads but i need lots of ideas
Old 21 Jun 2007, 22:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: tau ship boarding army, Help Please

For a boarding cadre, or even ship defense force, vehicles go out the window. Completely. Even with the size of the ships involved in BFG it would be hard to get even a Landspeeder in any but the largest of corridors.

Mobile Infantry (see Tonka's thread) would make a very good, fluffy ship board cadre. That means teams of Carbine armed FWs, Stealths, Gun Drone Squadrons. I would also, personally, steer clear of anything larger than a stealthsuit as in shipboard battles the larger stuff might not fit in some places and could become easy prey to enemies. Sniper Drone Teams would also serve very well in this kind of army, as would Kroot and Vespid (auxiliaries at the front lines and all).

Just my take on ship-boarding/defense cadres.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2007, 23:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well i love tau vehicles and without them i would rather not do an army of that style. thus i thought of a new and equally appealing, unique, and creative type of army, a seige army. This would be an army that is specailly suited to seigeing enemy cities similiar to impeiral fists??? but what units would go with a seige army? I think this would be make a great looking army and maybe I could even come up with some house rules for a tau seige cannon, with your help of course
Old 21 Jun 2007, 23:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tau Seige Army and Seige Cannon

im not sure if it is in the new codex, but in the old one it says that Kroot and other Auxilleries are used as storm troops, and are provided cover by troops farther back (firewarriors).
game wise, i'd focus on armor penetration, such as fusion blasters and rail cannons. i'd also use seekers and smart missles, seeing as they ignore terrain.
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2007, 23:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

@ Ravager Zero: (re: Boarding Cadre)

that's about my take on it as well.

I would think fusion guns and flamers would be primary choices:
Fusion guns would allow your cadre to go through sealed bulkheads more easily, while flamers would allow for devastating a room or denying access to an area (by laying a pool of flame down in a corridor)

I think that a few Crisis suits would be acceptable, as in the initial boarding action, the boarders would either come through a launch/landing or cargo bay, providing lots of room for crisis suits, as well as the fact that many of these areas would have open space for the crew to handle heavy weaponry such as ordnance, cargo, fighters, bombers, etc...

or they would come through on assault shuttles designed to penetrate the hull and disgorge infantry into vulnerable areas of the ship.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 23:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hehe, Ironically I though about it and tried to incorporate it into my Shas'El fluff although got yelled at by wargamer, but like I care ;D... However in process of listening his his screams I saw some interesting stuff. I did some search (there have been similar discussions before), and found no answer really.

Many will say Tau don't board... well They will probably will not do it deliberately (99/100 I'd say they will not initiate the boarding. Unless they absolutely MUST have that ship alive and whatever its holding.)
***Note TAU do have "special" elite troops for those "we must have that" situation, but they are not too common... kind of like Space Marienes.***

But IMO tau have the Ship "deffence" cadres. There is actually a camo theme in CODEX itself for boarding Cadres! So hear ya go. However few notes ->

1. No tanks what-so-ever. Thats obvious.
2. No XV8 or XV88s. Their weapons are VERY powerfull. They might make a hole in the ships hull... no one wants that... Unless they are armed with flamers (they can be modified in size I guess)

Which brings us to a next debate ->
***Warring, read thru and I'll explain the idea later***
3. No weapons... Ha??? Well I think in theory its only Pulse pistols since they are not powerfull enough to punch a whole in the hull, but powerfull enough to punch a hole in almost any skull. (Unless the skull is incased in terminator armor I guess)
4. They allies would seem like a natural choice... But I wouldn't say so... Kroot MAY BE. They are defiantly out of their "environment"... I'd say no...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

MY PERSONAL OPINION
***If you disagree well thats your point, I am not saying I'm right. I just think its somewhat "logical"***

Where does it leave us?

Idea number one (more suitable gaming wise)

Combat patrol! thats the BEST i can think of! Few (may be two) squads with rifles and 1 with carbines. Plus some stealth suits and/or XV8 with flamers/shields and Gun drones! Also Grenades are MUST IMO. Think about it. They CAN't have frags or plasma or anything! We can have photon grenades (no EMPs though, we'll shorten our own ship, plus no vehicles = no need).

Remember if you have a terrain (the ship interior), your opponent will be limited by the same "restrictions" (no tanks, heavy weapons (highly explosive in particular), monsters, all that...) So you should "balanced it out. 400 points is to prevent real cheating.

Idea number two(fluff wise better)

Same as number one (combat patrol with all "restriction"). BUT altering the rules!

- Models with, HtH, pistols & HtH, flamers, and low velocity frag weapons (shot guns) only!
- Several rules lifted. Like some troops can resist vacuum. (Wraith Guard, Terminators).
- No Grenades (Ironical except for us ^_^) (Capt. Malcolm Reynolds.)
***On serious note, this "fluff accuracy need a BIG set of rules. I'd say DROP it and go with Idea number one***
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Conclusion -> It would be VERY interesting to play. Especially Idea number One. You have "few restrictions". It should balance out the whole thing. For units like Wraith Guard just "assume" the hull is strong enough.

If you are dead set on the fluff thing... Right up the whole set of rules... I wouldn't.

I hope I helped. Again its my opinion.

P.S. If you are actually doing the "boarding cadre", may be it is worth making some terrain and ask your friends if they would want to play this way...

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 00:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

guys i want vehicles so i chose to not do a ship defense army rather i posted about the seige army, i need help with the siege idea now, i couldnt give up vehicles, sorry you had alot of good ideas and while thinking about the seige i stumbled upon a strategem in cities of death called seige shells basically 18inch strength 10 ordanance large blast, no AP and causes building to be damaged/destroyed on a 4+ so how much (without the building weakening aspect) should this cost for a hammerhead with a railgun, it would be a specail shell.??
Old 22 Jun 2007, 00:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I'm not so sure the Tau would fight in drawn-out sieges. I've always thought of the Tau way of warfare as highly mechanized and mobile, using something like a Blitzkrieg(Lightning Warfare) and Guerrilla Warfare(Hit/Run). They're made of smaller companies that can be put together when a need arises, but they'll mostly operate on smaller scales(in game terms, a 1500 point list would be made of 3(specialized) 500 point lists, so one anti-armor 500pt list, and two anti-infantry point lists. I know it isn't legal, but it's a good analogy.).

One of the defining parts of Blitzkrieg is that you rush very quickly at the enemy, stopping to resupply when you absolutely must. If anything gives you too much trouble, send a small contingent to make sure no trouble is started and either wait for the main forces to come, or otherwise take care of the problem. Guerillas will generally avoid large armies/fortifications and pick off the units one by one on their terms, ambushing and fleeing into the mist after the shots have been fired. It's more long-term oriented and demoralizing. I don't have any "approved" fluff besides the Codex: Tau Empire descriptions, but that's how I would think they wage war.

However, that's not reason not to make an army. This is afterall a game. Model it however you want to. But if you are going to be going for a "fluffy" army, you can't change the fluff according to your army ;D
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 00:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Anti11es: We (Tau) cannot use seige shells or wrecker stratagems as we have nothing that can take them.

For a seige army, which the Tau also don't do by choice, they're more likely to cut a small hole in the wall and put the stealths through etc, I'd suggest taking things that have both impressive firepower and decent staying power. (A.S.S. Broadside Teams with shield drones etc). Vehicles would again be only of secondary concern, Sky Ray might be nice in a seige army, bring down the wall/defense system/power grid/whatever just when and where you want to. 'Fish are okay I suppose, well, Warfish are better, and fit the theme as well (decked out with guns).

If you take crisis teams, I expect to see three teams, and some good strong/dakka weapons (Firesurge and Helios come to mind). Kroot are a must have, as they fill the role of forwards shock troops (fluffwise anyway). Fast attack will most likely be Piranhas in order to swoop in after a breach has been made and sow disruption among the enemy ranks.

[size=2pt](anyone notice I use far too many brackets?)[/size]

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 01:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

allright so most of my ideas so far havent been great but i want a theme for my army that is really unique, right now im thinking cityfight is my best bet

i will post more ideas in the next few days as I will be gone tomorrow