Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How Effective Can They Be?
Old 21 Jun 2007, 17:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default How Effective Can They Be?

I am building a Tau army and was considering Sniper Drones, but they just do not seem to have the numbers needed to be considered a threat. I like the models and the 'idea' of snipers, but they do not seem reliable or effective.

For those with experience with them, what sorts of targets do you hunt and how effective are they in game?
O_Mont_da_Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2007, 17:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How Effective Can They Be?

there good at pinpointing weakened units- such as units that have just been brought to half strength, all the better to pin them.
Additionally they are good at hitting units that have recently deep struck- other then that, i think pathfinder units with rail rifles are a better option (more versatility)

on a side note- where's your avatar from?
Old 21 Jun 2007, 17:34   #3 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
I was wondering the same.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2007, 17:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

My regular Necron player has learned to hate the three units of snipers. They are great against anything with a 3+ save. Granted they aren't mobile, but they should be able to pick off quite a few enemies before they reach your deployment zone. Besides actually killing things they limit enemy movement by covering firing lanes, and the markerlight hits help tremendously with the accuracy of hammerhead railguns.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2007, 17:53   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
Deviant Art - just Google it - there are all kinds of neat things on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
My regular Necron player has learned to hate the three units of snipers. They are great against anything with a 3+ save. Granted they aren't mobile, but they should be able to pick off quite a few enemies before they reach your deployment zone. Besides actually killing things they limit enemy movement by covering firing lanes, and the markerlight hits help tremendously with the accuracy of hammerhead railguns.
So do you typically deploy them together or separate from each other? I am guessing that taking 3 teams is really the only way to crank out enough shots to make them worth it.

I guess the other thing to consider is the psychological impact of them. Do they illicit any fear or are they just ignored.

The other thing I wanted to know is how easily they can be chased down and eliminated? Can they stick it out reasonably well to the end of the game?
Old 21 Jun 2007, 18:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I space them out with intersecting fields of fire, 6.1" apart. If your opponenet has fast moving cc units they can be hit early, but because they are separated by more than 6 inches, after they kill the snipers your enemy will be in open. Remember they are Int 10 when charged, because of the stealth field.

Not sure if I would ever take less than all three squads. I think you need the nine shots and three markerlights to be effective.

There is a psychological aspect to the unit as well. Thing is they pretty much have to be ignored, because they can't be shot at for the first couple turns, and then your opponent will hate failing to see them.

Mine ususally make it to the end of the game. In the last game I lost one unit before I phased them out. It is hard for Necrons to deal with them because of the stealth field and their long range rail rifles. Other faster armies would do much better against them. Bikes, drop pods, fleet, or fast transports would easily take them out. Though you can use the snipers to lure the enemy there, and then take your first cc casualty from the drone controller to ensure that the rest of your army can fire at the now stranded unit.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2007, 20:10   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I love sniper drones. They're one of my favorite units. If I'm facing a troop heavy, foot slogging, meq army (Marine equivalent if u didn't know) I always take them. I usually put them around 7 inches apart, but position them so they all are firing on a specific area. It usually shuts down that part of the board effectively.

I always bring the squad of 9, its worth the 240 points imo. They have stealth field gen, target lock, targeting array, and a markerlight.

So you can potentially shoot 9 str 6 shots, at bs4.

and the models are pretty cool looking to

RRKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2007, 20:12   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

That's the other thing I wondered,

Say you have all 9 drones and you kill 6 models in one unit with them. Does that mean that they have to roll for pinning 6 times, or only one?
Old 21 Jun 2007, 20:14   #9 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Mont'da'Nan

Say you have all 9 drones and you kill 6 models in one unit with them. Does that mean that they have to roll for pinning 6 times, or only one?
Only once. You can`t force more than one pining test on any unit.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2007, 20:16   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Mont'da'Nan

Only once. You can`t force more than one pining test on any unit.
So then do you find that it is better to use the target lock and force as many pinning tests on as many units as you can or concentrate your fire?

'Knee-jerk' says that I should concentrate my fire, but I may be wrong...