Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hey I am really new and i need help!!! Please
Closed Thread
Old 27 Feb 2005, 02:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Hey I am really new and i need help!!! Please

Hey guys I need help deciding what to buy next for my army. I could also use some general suggestions on tactics and what not. Right now all i have is the battle force and i bought an Ethereal because he was cheap and i need an HQ.
Also if someone could explain what Fluff is, what Static is and what Mecha or Mech is.
Thanks alot
Old 27 Feb 2005, 03:37   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Hey I am really new and i need help!!! Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imation 2.0
Hey guys I need help deciding what to buy next for my army. I could also use some general suggestions on tactics and what not. Right now all i have is the battle force and i bought an Ethereal because he was cheap and i need an HQ.
Also if someone could explain what Fluff is, what Static is and what Mecha or Mech is.
Thanks alot
Fluff is the background story for your army (or w/e stories you write for your army). Static means exactly what it means...no movement. A static army usually has a strong firebase that stays put and tries to blast the enemy before it reaches the Tau. A mecha army is the exact opposite, it is based on movement, meaning that it has a lot of crisis suits and pretty much all of the FW squads will be accompanied by devilfish. As to what to buy next, it depends on your style of play.
Old 27 Feb 2005, 05:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Welcome to the Board, Imation

The battle force is a good start. You have Crisis suits, Kroot, Firewarriors and Gundrones. These are all useful, so no worries about wasting time.

As Elyas stated, those things you listed are various styles of army composition and execution.

Static - This means sitting in place and firing. It doesn't budge. These types of forces take full advantage of an Ethereal (which you have) as he helps them to stay put.
Mech(a) - This is simply short for "mechanized." That means, very mobile and mounted in vehicles. This type of army doesn't just sit and shoot, it moves and shoots.

Fluff is history. Your codex is ripe with what little fluff there is on the Tau. Fluff can also be created by you. It is just story and history regarding whatever you want, but mainly people make it for their forces, to give it character, a background and theme.

As it is, you have a strong base of models to build from. You have enough suits for now and you have your ethereal and some fast attacks and a few troops. I would suggest the following as your next purchases, in order, based on units you will need more of, regardless of the style of play you choose. This way you don't waste any of your cash buying models you won't be using. Good way to keep it simple, but solid.

#1 - Firewarriors. You want more of these boys. It's never bad take have about 36 of them, regardless of style or kind of force you play. Buy another box, or two!
#2 - Hammerhead -or- Broadsides. You will want some kind of heavy support soon, both of these are decent options, the hammer being mobile and the suits being static.

Around this point, you should just play a bunch of games. Get used to the units and the army. Then try and figure out how you want to further your army. Will you want more Crisis suits? Will you want less tanks and more Firewarriors? Will you want lots of tanks? Etc. The more you play, the more you will know what you want out of your army.
Old 27 Feb 2005, 05:31   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks alot I didnt know any of that stuff. Because I am new to 40k also. I played warhammer so this is alot different.
Your posts helped alot because i was reading the forums i did not know what any of the words meant.

Thanks for the advice on the army. I was going to lean towards the lots of fire warriors and some HHs to blow up people from far away. Which is a really weird switch of tactics for me since i played orcs in warhammer.

By the way any advice for killing Necrons thats the army my brother is starting and they look really dumb because of the WWB rule.

Well thanks alot for the advice.

Old 27 Feb 2005, 05:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

General tactics for what you have at the moment..

static:
firewarriors - static firebases
kroot - two main choices - use them as a counter charge force, by putting them behind your firewarriors, or deploy them into forest/woods etc, maybe even infiltrate them into another table quarter, and keep them there if the mission is based on table quarters etc (free table quarter! yay). shoot out of the forest too :P
ethereal - this is a must that you keep this out of sight from the enemy.. as far away as physically possible without taking him off the board.. 'out of sight, out of mind' is teh general idea of this.. you don't want him to get killed :\

mobility:
gun drones: possibly 2 squadrons of 5? or one squad of 8 to be safe and attach the other two somewhere else.. use drones to intercept assault units and tie them up a bit whilst other units evac, use them as decoys for your more expensive suits by attempting to screen..
crisis suits: equip these depending on the enemy and circumstances, theres more info on these configs on the main site and the stickied threads here. use the jetpack move to your advantage, start behind cover, pop out, shoot, move back into cover.. which generally avoids all return fire because most enemy units don't have Line Of Sight (LOS) to you..

as for what to get next,
Stealthsuits, hammerheads, more firewarriors!

again, check out the 'important topics' thread thats stickied here, it really does have important topics :P such as the know your self/enemy threads..

[hr]
sync-post eh?

well necrons.. lots of firewarriors i guess, and just shoot as much as you can.. and probably hammerhead submunitions too
Old 28 Feb 2005, 00:11   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hey once again thanks alot!!
Old 28 Feb 2005, 16:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you need to find hints on starting a Tau army, go here:
http://tauonline.org/starting.php

Ad Tactics for a Tau Army:
http://tauonline.org/tau_tactics.php

Have fun scrolling through the many ideas and tactics!
Old 28 Feb 2005, 20:45   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Fire_Warrior

next i would get a box of tau fire warrior, then i would get devilfish, and 7 pathfinders 4 with carbine 3 with railrifles, after i would get hammerhead and put a railgun on it,
after get 3broadsides and with 2 drone controllers and 1 target lock, then get 5 stealth suits, but make sure to get atlest to shield drone for your ethereal.

Painting tips my tau i painted 2 different colours i would say for u o do that but most of all highlight them.

From your buddy Fire_warrior

P.S. goodluck in the future.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 20:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

when Tau were first on sale people tried to copy IG's standand shoot style, this didnt work as well as it did for IG so new tacticswere needed, thus the birth of mecha.

the Mecha Bible

Know yourself

Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 08 Mar 2005, 00:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88

dizzy's right... stand and shoot doesn't work for tau at all; i lost a few games bad thankx to just trying to stand and shoot the crap out of anything that approaches. So i'd get at least 1 devilfish soon; they add some much needed mobility (and 5 more s5 shots, too)
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Closed Thread