Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

facing assaulty nids in 1000pts.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 19:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to NileChild
Default facing assaulty nids in 1000pts.

So a lot of people at my local store play nids and a good friend of mine does as well so I will be facing lots of assaulty nids in the future. For the most part I will be playing 1000 pts games most of the summer and I want to know what i should be taking ofr nids in 1000 pts. Right now I modified my last list to rougly this:

Shas'el with targetting array, fireknife, 2 shield drones

Crisis team
shas'ui with fireknife, team leader, 2 shield drones
2 shas'ui fireknife

Stealth team
4x shas'ui with targetting array one fusion blaster

10 firewarriors with a d-fish(a few upgrades)

10 firewwarriors on foot

Standard railhead

I've modified that to fit 1000 pts but what is recommended in general against assaulty nids in 1000?

NileChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 20:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: facing assaulty nids in 1000pts.

Is he playing Hored?? :-\

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
Greater good or bust. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 20:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Why so many Fireknives configured Crisis suits? What are they designed to kill?

Shield Drones? Why? Extra Wounds?

I'm just wondering what your plan is before I make my own comments.
cawshis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 20:23   #4 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Is he playing horde or nidzilla ?
If he is playing horde with limited MC`s here are few hints.
Drop shield drones , waste of points.
Drop fireknives , get TL MP with TA.
Remove FB from stealth's 4 with TA`s should be good.
Railhead is nice.
Consider dakka HQ (`el + CIB + MP + TA + HWMT)
Drop the devilfish , get IonHead with BC`s to mow thru him.
AFP is nice option too , maybe monat `vre with AFP , Flamer , drone controller and 2 gun drones.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 20:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

I'm not really sure what you're facing, but I will assume by "assaulty" you mean lots of Hormagaunts (the choppy ones), a winged Tyrant, and maybe a Carnifex.

Quote:
Shas'el with targetting array, fireknife, 2 shield drones
I would take away the drones. The points could be spent elsewhere. If you have them in there to protect from shooting, take them away and use IC status. If you have them in there to help during assault, I guess I could see their use. Either way I'd rather just keep him behind a unit a bit so he's immune.
Quote:
Crisis team
shas'ui with fireknife, team leader, 2 shield drones
2 shas'ui fireknife
Against 'nids this looks like a good squad, but I'd still take out the drones and put them elsewhere. With the points saved from removing the commander's shield drones and this squad's shield drones, you could add a 5 strong gun drone unit to your list at no extra cost (this would, of course, leave you no extra points to do the other chances I will reccommend.)

Oh, and you'll probably want to pop a burst cannon on one or two of those suits to save points, while netting yourself an extra shot at slightly improved range in the process (as a plasma rifle needs to be within 12 inches to rapid fire). If this squad is meant to be taking down MC's, though, leave the plasma in.

Quote:
Stealth team
4x shas'ui with targetting array one fusion blaster
Looks alright..

Quote:
10 firewarriors with a d-fish(a few upgrades)
Good idea. Other than MC's in assault and Venom cannons on a carnifex, 'nids don't have an extremely efficient way of dealing with skimmers, at least from my experience. I would also add a SMS onto the devilfish for the extra LoS-ignoring firepower, which is very usefull against a squad of Hormagaunts waiting behind a piece of terrain. I would also add a Targetting array on there, too. Stick a Shas'ui in the squad for good measure.

Quote:
10 firewarriors on foot
Looking good, I prefer to give all of my Firewarrior squads a Shas'ui for the LD bump.

Quote:
Standard railhead
Railheads can be extremely mean against 'nids. Pop a pair of burst cannons on there to save points and for the extra two shots.

Quote:
I've modified that to fit 1000 pts but what is recommended in general against assaulty nids in 1000?
This all depends on which type of list you're facing, an all-gaunt list, or an assaulty zilla list. You will be able to fit all of the changes I've reccommended into the list if you take out the shield drones.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 22:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to NileChild

The list I played agaisnt was 2 squads of hormies9(10-12 strong i think), 2 squads of 3 warriors with devourers and talons, a squad of gene stealers, a squad of devourer gaunts and one assaulty carnifex. Give or take soemthing, not quite sure. Basically I just needed advice on facing assaulty nids in genreal since I will be playing them quite frequently.

Now to show myu reasoning for my choices:
the fireknives- the team i bought was part of an already put together force, they worked out fantastically and killed like 6 genestealers in one shooting phase so I'm goign to keep them.

shield drones- extra survivabilty, ezpecially for my commander, though i might take them off of the shas'ui team leader. And they helped immensly last game so i do think they're worht their points.

i'll look at my exact list, check out some of the ideas mentioned here and tweak it and post it up a little later this evening on the list area.

thanks for the adivce everyone

NileChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 23:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

dont ever fear nids. ever ever. i actually laugh when my opponents put them on the table.

for starters you have st5 ap5 weaponry as a standard, they have t3 sv5or6 as a standard. there stronger warriors raveners have t4 sv4, we have assault autocannons. there strongest are slow and dont do much unless there in combat, in combat we suck no matter how many points the enemy spends. the only tough to kill enemy is a carnifex but when everygun in your army as a chance at hurting it and it is slow as all hell, you will take it down eventually. to be honest the only unit in their army i dont like is lictors and zoanthropes. but even they have weak fleshy bodies just as weak to pulse fire as every other nid.

your army simply needs some MP crisis, some fire warriors and some railguns. any tau army without these is built wrong ne ways. trust me, orcs and nids are nothing to fear.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 02:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall

An infiltrating broodlord with full genestealer retinue is definately something for a tau army to fear (if its an assaulty army i assume their lists will have one) possible first turn charge with an insane amount of attacks and will be very hard for you to do anything against.

Also Ionheads work wonders against Carnifexs. Unless they have extended carapace (i think thats what it is) and in that case they will save most wounds and regeneration can be a pain in the butt.

The most important thing to learn when fighting nids is target priority. Everything in their army can rip you apart in CC so you have to get the faster ones first. Anything with wings has to go down quickly. That goes for warriors and hive tyrants as well as the ripper swarms. they might not be able to do much damage but they will tie you up and stop you from shooting other units. the gaunts will be a pain in the butt and if you're lucky they will set them up in a tight formation (submunition fodder) *unless they are like the nid players here and fear railguns and push the 2" coherency to the limit to avoid losing numbers*

another thing to watch out for is biovores. In my last game against nids my opponent got 2 spore mines on the rear armour of two of my hammerheads. Fairly unlikely if you ask me but it can happen and if you lose those guns things will get a lot harder for you.

Missile pods are definately a good idea but keep in mind that even burst cannons will do a good job against most of the units. And in my experience Zianthropes usually pass their leadership and then fail to hit :P so i personally don't pay too much attention to them.

and just another thing to think about. Keep your units spread out. if he does manage to get into CC range you will most likely lose most of your units. don't let him have a chance to consolidate onto another unit. and keep in mind that you can only move your troops 6". he will have a possible 18" assault range on most of his units.

but i hope that helps a bit.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 05:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Quote:
An infiltrating broodlord with full genestealer retinue is definately something for a tau army to fear (if its an assaulty army i assume their lists will have one) possible first turn charge with an insane amount of attacks and will be very hard for you to do anything against.
You may want to have another look at the Broodlord entry. He doesn't have fleet, so his 'Stealer retinue will have to drop theirs. No 1st turn charging, but seeing a Broodlord and retinue so close to your lines is a scary sight either way.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2007, 06:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall

But if it sets up behind cover it can be 12" away. 6"move + 6"assault = 1st turn assault.

But yes it is scary either way