Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mysterious links between Necrons and Tau?
Old 18 Jun 2007, 12:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Shas_O_Jeff
Default Mysterious links between Necrons and Tau?

I've only recently begun building my Tau Empire. Before joinging the fight for the "Greater Good" I took to the painting and collecting of Necrons. After reading th enew Tau codex I discovered that their is room to create a connection between the Tau and the Necrons. Take one part mysterious Ethereals, another part of perfectly timed (and evolution progressing) warp storm, and throw the whole thing in with the necron gods and all the mystery surrounding the necron themselves. What does this give you? A hell of a story premise and some great conversion ideas.

Now the warp storms are probably an easy explanation for the Tau's sudden arrival, but it might also be divine intervention. I'd like to hear what others have to say on this subject as well as conversion ideas and "fluff" concepts.

Till next time, Jeff
Old 18 Jun 2007, 12:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Mysterious links between Necrons and Tau?

There`s a similar topic going on right now.

About the Warpstorms: There is no way the necrons are responsible for it. Necrons have no influence over the Warp.

Furthermore: Why SHOULD the Necrons help/create the Tau/Ethereals? Doesn`t make sense to me.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 12:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, they're trying to wipe out all life, right? If anything, the Tau and the Necrons are complete opposites.
dunehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 12:35   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

C'tan to Warpstorms are like Baking soda to Vinegar. There is a violent, explosive reaction that leaves the C'tan dead.

What did you think the Talismans of Vaul were for? God-killers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 18:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't believe it myself, but their is definitely room for argument. For one thing the Deceiver has a slit in his forehead, a trait similar to that of the Tau. The Deceiver being a manipulative being may have had a hand in the Tau's creation, and may be using them for some ultimate later goal. Then their is the technological aspirations of both races. Necrons are supposed to have the best tech in the 40k universe, and Tau are a technologically advanced civilization, that continues to improve on itself.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 19:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Is it possible that a group of Old Ones made the Tau to balance out their previous mistakes about creating Psychic races? They would have the power to create a Warp Storm on demand and if they created them, then they would have a reason to protect their "investment".
Old 18 Jun 2007, 19:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Is it possible that a group of Old Ones made the Tau to balance out their previous mistakes about creating Psychic races? They would have the power to create a Warp Storm on demand and if they created them, then they would have a reason to protect their "investment".
This was my first thought, as well (with the Eldar being a spectacular failure of the Old Ones, I figured they would try a different approach. One that doesn`t involve roughly a quarter of the Galaxy being turned into an "Eye of Terror" and no more new Chaos Gods), but numerous sources state that all the Old Ones have perished. Still, the galaxy is a large place, and it MIGHT be conceivable that one or two have survived, and created the Ethereals (I doubt that the Tau as a race have been created - their beginnings have been too unfocussed).
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 20:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The biggest problem has already been stated. The warp is highly toxic to the C'tan, which is why the necrons seek to close the eye of terror.

Creating warp storms would be like trying to eat a grenade with the pin taken out.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 23:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKitsune
Is it possible that a group of Old Ones made the Tau
That would be my favorite theory, one suggestion that I thought was cool was that the Tau might actually be Necrons given a second chance at life by the Old Ones. And the ethereals would have be inserted to lead them towards the right direction.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 23:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Old Ones creating the Tau simply dosen't make sense to me, for a number of reasons.

1.) They're all dead. Maybe one or two random survivors still exist (I seem to remember someone telling me about some fluff to that effect) but as an intergalactic power they are dead. So the idea of them creating a warp storm (which they were never capable of anyway) dosen't add up. Whilst there are some ways you could explain them being still alive, that whole idea of dead race rising again is just too corny. Let someone STAY dead for once.

2.) Tau are an absolutley hopeless weapon against Necrons, because Tau and Necrons are too similar. Tau have suceeded because they are unified, and have advanced technology. Necrons are even more unified, and have ludicrously advanced technology. An analogy I like using is comparing it to paper - scissors - rock. Necrons are rock. As a rock, they are vulnerable to paper (Warp energy), so that's the weapon the Old Ones have always used against them. The Eldar and Orks were not really a faliure at all. It says in the Necron Codex that the C'tan simply couldn't cope with them on the field of battle (hence their trying to seal the Warp off).

Using the Tau against the Necrons is like using a pebble against a boulder. The boulder and the pebble are both made of the same stuff, but the boulder is so much bigger there isn't even a contest. It's a departure from everything the Old Ones have tried, and it dosen't make sense that it's going to work.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote