Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs. Necrons
Old 18 Jun 2007, 09:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau vs. Necrons

Okay i am opening this for discussion because i have no idea. i live in Italy with only about 3 other players and we just had a new guy that moved in with necrons. now since i live in italy i have no easy access to gamesworkshop. so what should a tau player that has never played necrons before be prepared for?

Also my friends and i have not seen the new tau codex what would you recomend a fellow tau player purchase out of the new units to bolster his ranks?

All comments are welcome and thank you for any help!
3mp3ror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 10:03   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to shas`o r`myr
Default Re: Tau vs. Necrons

piranhas and broadsides with a.s.s is nice to have ;D
shas`o r`myr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 17:01   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Jyco

You should be prepared for guys with higher T, better Sv, higher number of models in a unit then you... and 50% chance to get back up once you "killed" them. :P :-X
So i suggest
a) High number of shots (very high! to wipe hole squads of the table)
b) Weapons of S 8 of more to Instant-death them so they won't get back up (works good enough for me)

and something to ignore their armor-save is also very usefull

hope this helps a bit
Jyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 17:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall

I would also suggest ordering a copy of the new Codex.

I personally don't feel that it's an option not to be playing with anything but the latest version of the rules.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 17:50   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Argghh my freind plays his necrons with a monolith (two chances to repair), and a ressurection orb. Pretty much at 1000 pts that army is immune to dying. I find my best tactic against my necron friend is A) choloroform him and claim I won, or B) play my Guardsmen.
Joebob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 17:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Necrons can eat skimmers with their gauss weapons, so I wouldn't try a pure mech list against them. Personally I'd try to concentrate firepower where I can, Necrons take a lot to take down. You might need some railguns if he has a monolith too, they absolutely demolish infantry when they get close.

From the new codex I'd say get Sniper Drones (especially against Necrons). I'd suggest you take a good look at the codex before getting more then that though.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 18:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Necrons can eat skimmers with their gauss weapons, so I wouldn't try a pure mech list against them. Personally I'd try to concentrate firepower where I can, Necrons take a lot to take down. You might need some railguns if he has a monolith too, they absolutely demolish infantry when they get close.
Looks like this turns into another "what style of play is better against Necrons"-thread, eh?

I`m still a Mech disciple when it comes to Necrons. They are slow, and their weapons are rather short-ranged. If you use your superior speed to evade their slow moving troops, chances are you can mow down their flank units without them being able to put up proper resistance.
Of course, their fast-moving units (especially Destroyers, since they are fast AND have a greater range than most other Necrons) should be right on top of your "to-kill" list.

Your infantry, on the other hand, will be a sitting duck. Their weapons are nearly useless against a Necron phalanx (it takes roughly 18 shots with a Pulse weapon to kill off one Necron warrior permanently), and once the Necrons are in range, they will eat you alive. Literally.

So stay mobile. Snipe from afar, kill their fast moving troops, and punish everything which dares to VoD into your range.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 20:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Bring marker lights and concentrate fire. S 5 weapons are much better with BS 5.

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
Greater good or bust. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 22:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Of course, their fast-moving units (especially Destroyers, since they are fast AND have a greater range than most other Necrons) should be right on top of your "to-kill" list.
That's exactly the problem I've seen, and when you see Eldar armies fall to this (probably the kings of skimmer armies), then you know their dangerous. The problem is you can't kill destroyers quickly enough before they make mincemeat of all your skimmers, their that bad. While I'm not advising a purely static army, I'd avoid putting all your eggs in one basked with a pure mech army. Mobile Firewarrior groups demand a lot of resources, and they fall apart very quickly to a drive-by by Destroyers. Mobile troops may be the key, but definitely not skimmers IMO.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 22:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

When I play against Necrons, I ALWAYS kill the Destroyers first. Seriously, those guys will rip up almost anything in you're army with little difficulty. The good side is that they are expensive, and not really that hard to kill.

Point every gun in your army at them until the entire squad goes down. Do this immedietley. Normal Destroyers take priority over Heavy Destroyers (unless you're running a lot of Devilfish).

Next priority is to kill anything fast/mobile. As soon as something with the Veil of Darkness comes into your range, ruthlessly butcher it. As usual, point every gun in your army at it until it's dead. When facing the Veil of Darkness, don't split your army up too much. The Lord combined with Warriors/Immortals is capable of handling multiple units by itself. A few units off on a flank with nothing to support them will be annihilated.

Your infantry, on the other hand, will be a sitting duck. Their weapons are nearly useless against a Necron phalanx (it takes roughly 18 shots with a Pulse weapon to kill off one Necron warrior permanently), and once the Necrons are in range, they will eat you alive. Literally.

You've probably done the maths, but I never find this to be the case. I play a mostly static army, and I've managed to wear down Necrons reasonably well. If I lose to Necrons, it generally means most of my army has been decimated BEFORE the Phalanx gets to me (by VOD, Monolith, Destroyers, etc).

Despite that, you're right in that Fire Warriors aren't good against Necron Warriors. I generally point mine at harder targets (Immortals, Destroyers, Scarabs, Wraiths, etc). This is because such models generally have small squad sizes, and can't Phalanx very well (as there's not enough of them). You actually can kill of the entire expensive squad by negating their WBB rolls, and that's usually enough for the humble Shas'la to earn their points back.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote