Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What is it we love about playing Tau?
Old 17 Jun 2007, 22:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default What is it we love about playing Tau?

I was just reading the thread about proposed improvements for a far distant new Tau codex and there's an awful lot of negative in there. All I keep seeing is how the new ethereal rules are awful or how the burst cannon has less range and is worse than a Heavy Bolter, etc. I won't go into too much more detail as I'm sure everyone has read or contributed to the thread.

What I propose here is that everyone posts what it is they love about fielding a Tau army. By this I mean anything from just loving the fluff to particular advantages they have against particular armies/units. Even nifty little tactics that people have developed, the look on an opponents face when their precious land speeder blows up.

One other thing: Stories of victory over ridiculously overpowered armies. Almost (if not) every other race has the option of ridiculously overpowered command units, but the Tau don't. Personally, I'd like to hear tales of triumph over uberpowered units.

Being pretty new to the game, seeing so much negative about the Tau is fairly discouraging (although not too much, I still love 'em), so let's hear about everything that makes them a great army.

For the Greater Good!
Paulb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 22:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: What is it we love about playing Tau?

what got me to play them in the first place:
-easy to paint
-look like gundams
-nice uniform design

now that I have a decent army and several dozens of games under my belt, I'm still having fun with 'em cuz:
-gotta love the railgun
-highly mobile
-JSJ makes the opp sad and me smile o.o
-nice fluff

the only thing I dislike about the Tau is their frailty in CC. For example yesterday a lone Eldar Dire Avenger charged 9 Fire Warriors, killed 1 in assault, Tau did diddly in return.

It took 2 Gun Drones that I had charge into the mess to take it down. :\

which, btw,is so awesome it is a plus: Drones seem to do awesome things for me, like:
-shoot down a Winged Hive Tyrant
-kill a Genestealer in CC
-kill several marines over the course of dozens of games in CC.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 22:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Is it the guns, or something else? Wait, no, the guns. And the fact that they're as close to "good guys" as you can get, and that they are fun to paint.
dunehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 22:23   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Oh man Paul, I couldn't agree more. My 3 maxed-out helios suits kill all but 1 assualt termie in assualt range of my fire warriors, only to have 1 gun drone kill him. Or the time my lucky drone shot blew up a Basilisk on a side shot, which exploded and killed 4 aromoured fist members. Ah, those drones are lucky indeed. (Unlike my hammerhead railgun... > ) But Tau are fun due to their good basic troop, and having the very best gun (str10, ap1, range 72") in the game is always nice.
Joebob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 22:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

CRISIS SUITS!! ;D

I saw the codex back in 3rd edition and I was captivated by the Crisis Suit. After playing a few games with them I can honestly say that they're the best unit in the army. Not to mention that they look so darn bad***

Snowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
The sacrament of Dakka can be expressed only by those who have experienced it. It is a holy sacrament (of fire) that states "We are firing our guns at you. Die."
The Canadian Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 22:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Only really having to deal with 2/3 of the actual game?

But Crisis suits are badass...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Terminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 23:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Meh, I don't like the fact that their good guys, or look like Japanese anime ( ). Rather...

-They are (were when I started) rare.
-Fast, but without much of a learning curve
-Awsome tank!!!!

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 23:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i play tau because no other army can drive up and unload 31 s5 shots per transport and no other army can have 3 st 10 ap 1 shots scooting 12 inches a turn and still unloading.
plus i like the fluff and thier a snap to paint.

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 23:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I like how the FW uniform looks; not like they should be fighting in trenches or some other WW 1 or 2 battle, not like they're stupidly bulky, not like they're just...gayified, but like they're BDUs made to defend a planet, spaceship or anything else.

Another thing I like is the suits. From the idea of using them, to the implementation, I love them. Just not so much with the 25's.

Finally, I like the thought of a non-psychic race who has NO access to psychic powers or demons. And stays away from h2h(why would I fight within arm's reach when I have the better firepower?) In some ways, I'd be hard-pressed to say they're better at representing an "average" person on a whole than the IG. I hope that makes sense, every other explanation had the term "more average" or "better average"...

Lastly(promise) they rely upon their technology and ideas. They can be wiped out, but not for much longer. AND THEY DON'T HAVE GODS!(afaik)

Side Note: I started this with "0 replies 0 views."
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 23:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I like Tau because when I read the Codex and saw how they fight I thought to myself: "THIS is the army that I want to play!" I then saw what someone else at my gaming shop did: He took metal cadians and put Tau Pulse Rifles in their hands and said that they were Tau. That looked so neat, but was expensive. I just used plastic Cadians and did the same thing... and the army does look sweet (I did pay someone else to paint it as I can't paint to save my soul). Here are some links to pictures of my army.

Far shot of my Tau taking on some Space Marines. Different tourney from the pics below.

Close up shot of my Tau taking on a Necron Lord... I think this ended badly. :'(

The green Crisis Suits are my Crisis suits... I wanted to have an army that could "realistically" be US Military... and you know how they love olive drab.

Close up shot of one of my Devilfish with Gun Drones deployed.