Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cities of Death
Old 17 Jun 2007, 02:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Cities of Death

Im playing in a campaign and I would like to gets some ideas on the best strategems to take on my units. Im not sure on my exact army list. I was going to run a Hybrid List.

BE
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 03:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Cities of Death

Since you get to pick 'em during set up, I'd consider picking them depending on what army your facing and which strategem will help you most.

For example...if you're facing Tau, I wouldn't pick the Tank Obstacle one since the opposing army is nearly all skimmer tanks.

General Guide to the Cities of Death with the Tau:

Key Building Stratagem:

Overview: Consider these stratagems if you are playing a Hybrid or Stationary Tau force as they will be most useful in holding a building. For Mecha forces, you can use the same stratagems, but you'll need to think ahead. More than likely, any building you pick in your quarter will be emptied or out of range of your troops by turn 2. So pick a building further in as your Power Generator and establish a second firebase. A nasty trick is combing the Medicae Facility with the Sewer Rats strat to basically reinforce a building with indestructible Kroot (I like to do this with my 32 strong kroot unit).

Decent KB Strats: Ammunition Store, Medicae Best: Power Generator.

Depending on your access to Markerlights, Ammo store could be a boon or a waste. If you have a strong BS army supplemented with markerlights, I'd consider taking the Power Generator.

The Medicae facility is awesome for a building filled with Kroot. Hard cover saves for being in the building and then Feels No Pain in case the Kroot get assaulted. Any enemy would be hard pressed to dislodge 20 kroot sitting in that building.

My own preference for my Tau is Power Generators. I run a marker-light heavy Mecha force, so being able to re-roll wounds is huge considering the number of hits I usually get.

Useless KB Stratagem (IMO): Command Centre, Observation Post, Sacred Ground and Fuel Dump.

The first two because we have upgrades and marker lights that provide similar if not better benefits. Sacred Ground isn't all that good in my opinion..Fearless Tau are dead Tau. Fuel Dump, though looks cool, just doesn't benefit enough to bother, our few template weapons are usually strong enough to do what they need to do.

Dirty Tricks Stratagem:

Overview: These are tricky ones in that they can be challenging to get the most benefit out of them. Look at the terrain that is set up and think hard if taking any of these strats will benefit you as much as taking a Medicae facility or a Ammo Store. In my own opinion, I don't like strats that require even MORE random rolling...so things like Booby Traps and Bombardment aren't in my top 2 choices.

Decent Strats: Demolition, Fortification Best: Plunging Fire

Demolition is a rather neat one in that at some point in the game a building is going to explode and you get to decide! It's tricky to get just right, but I've been tricked by it before...a turn before I was to make a major assault on my opponent's fort, he abandoned it...which had me worried that he picked his own building to destroy! He kept checking the paper, asking the turn etc. I delayed my attack a rerouted to a different building...all the while a building in my own quarter was ticking away. You really have to plan in advance, but when it works, it works!

Fortifications - who can say no to ignoring grenades? Especially as the Tau?

Plunging Fire- coupled with Rappelling Lines, this is a neat strat. Consider taking it if the table is heavy on the cover terrain AND you see a lot of buildings tall enough to take advantage of it. What's neat about this is setting up your Broadsides on the top floor of a building and raining SMS onto opponents you can't see!

Useless Strats: Booby Traps, Master Snipers

Booby traps are wretched. 50% chance of a dud...and then you still have to roll to wound. Bleh. Don't waste a strat here in my opinion...Str 8, AP 2 isn't worth it since the Tau are already bristling with tons of high STR wpns.

Master Snipers. We don't have any sniper units, thus, none can be masters. Nuff said.

Mediocre: Preliminary Bombardment

I wouldn't bother, but some folks like it. It's never pinned which is what it would seem to be most useful for and its gone after a single use. Like I said...if it won't give you more than a Power Generator (Potentially 6 turns of re-rolling wounds!), then why bother?

Armory Stratagem:

Overview: Limited options, since normal Tau basically don't have access to two of them.

Decent Strats: Combat Engineers, Rappelling Lines.

Combat Engineers is a great strat if you're worried your opponent likes to play with wire or fortified buildings. The ability to pop smoke to cover moving thru an open street is nice as well. I tend towards full Mecha armies, so I don't find this as useful, but a Hybrid army might.

Rappelling Lines are just an all around awesome strat. Dropping your squad of Pathfinders or FWs on to the top most floor of a building is great! Extends LOS and allows use of Plunging Fire if you took that. The Dangerous terrain test might cost you a unit or two, but usually it is worth it. Look over the terrain on the board and consider if it'll give you a huge advantage (like deploying in a unassailable building).

Absolutely the worst Strats Ever: Siege Shells and Wreckers

We don't have STR 10 ordnance. We don't have Monstrous Creatures or Dreadnaughts. Maybe you're running a Farsight army so you got an MC...but trust me...that won't make wrecker worth it.

Obstacles Stratagem:

Overview: In my opinion these obstacle strats are entirely dependent on what army you are facing or the table you are are playing on. Keep in mind when you can pick stratagems...right before set up! So you have the chance to look at the table before you decide. In addition, if you're playing Gamma or Omega, you can pick additional strats based on what your opponent picked. Keep this in mind when perusing the strats here.

Decent: Barricades, Razor Wire Best: Tank Traps

Not enough terrain on the board after set up is all done? Put up some barricades for hard cover to hide behind. Feel like slowing down a foot-slogging force even more? Razor Wire.

3 Leman Russes got you down? Tank Trap'em into your fire lanes or force them into difficult/dangerous building terrain. I LOVE Tank Traps and I'm currently modeling Tauish versions of them. Not only do they provide a 5+ cover save if you need them...they are impassable to vehicles except skimmers. That means no go for Armored company, but you can go just fine! Use the traps to force their heavy armor in the direction you want them to go.

Deployment Stratagem:

Overview: Pretty simple. If you plan to Deep Strike, take it. If you really really really want to get your Kroot into forward positions with your Stealth teams, then grab Infiltrate. Sewer Rats is decent, but risky. If your opponent is fast, they may park units on the sewer caps and then your stuck. Again, keep in my when stratagems are chosen and you'll know whether or not Infiltrate or Sewer Rats is the best option (For my own two cents, I'd rather have a Power Generator....but you probably already guessed that).

Summary:
If you've gotten this far, then you're probably still thinking "What should I take then?" Well, the answer is not simple as there is no best one! The most important thing to keep in mind is when the strats are chosen...it's during the Set Up phase...so you have the chance to look over the terrain, look at your table quarter or edge and make a choice based on who you're playing, how the board looks, the mission and your plan. As long as you keep in mind the useless stratagems for the Tau and avoid them, you should be fine.

Excellent work. +1 - Khanaris
cawshis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 04:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Wow, great overview of all the Cities of death Strats Cawshish!

Will a mod get in here and give this man some karma? He most definately deserves it!

Cheers!

-Rosetta Stoned

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
ShadowCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 04:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I must say, that is going to be very hepfull. Im playing a vogan campaign and I started off surrounded by Eldar....Well Im probably going to try some of these strategems, espiecially the armoury ones.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 03:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you're playing against Eldar, depending on your list, I'd definitely go with a Power Generator and perhaps Plunging Fire.

Bring lots of SMS. You can out-range Eldar most of the battle...just don't let them fleet into you!
Old 18 Jun 2007, 04:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey, thanks a lot.
I agree in that a mod should give you a karma point.

My current list has a nice amount of SMS, Stealthsuits, Some Kroot, A suicidal XV8 w/ TL flamers, and firekinfes. Warfish, Hammerheads. I'm going to look through the stratagems to see which ones I will use. I think I might take your advice on the plunging fire and Power Generator. Also, maybe some tanks traps because I will have to fight a heavy terminator SM Army.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 05:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEskimo
I must say, that is going to be very hepfull. Im playing a vogan campaign and I started off surrounded by Eldar....Well Im probably going to try some of these strategems, espiecially the armoury ones.
I played in a vogen campaign recently, and for some odd reason, infantry heavy armies, especially guard, were quite popular. when facing a pure infantry guard army, suddenly, bombardment starts to look good. Unfortunately, I roll absolutely horrifically at it, so if you feel lucky, go with it. It can be really good, but it does remove the worry factor that many strategems offer.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 11:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEskimo

My current list has a nice amount of SMS, Stealthsuits, Some Kroot, A suicidal XV8 w/ TL flamers, and firekinfes. Warfish, Hammerheads. I'm going to look through the stratagems to see which ones I will use. I think I might take your advice on the plunging fire and Power Generator. Also, maybe some tanks traps because I will have to fight a heavy terminator SM Army.
Just remember when you get to pick those strats! It is during Set Up AFTER table sides have been picked. That's the near perfect time to pick a strat. And don't be afraid to change your mind after your opponent picks one! If you were thinking Fortifications and Power gennie and the first thing your opponent picks is Demolition...change your mind!

Old 19 Jun 2007, 20:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yea, I think I might choose Fortifications and Power Gen. But im thinking about taking rappeling lines on my FW's and plunging Fire.