Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help me getting Started
Old 15 Jun 2007, 11:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Help me getting Started

I'm a former Nid player who got tired of getting ripped asunder by bolter fire. So I started looking for the "best" of the shooty armies. While IG might be very good at this it's a horde army and I'm in no mood of painting another 200 models just yet, so here I am.
So do you got any advise about a 850-1000 points Battlesuit heavy army.

And by the way Hello everyone.
Burning_Wound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 11:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Help me getting Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning_Wound
I'm a former Nid player who got tired of getting ripped asunder by bolter fire. So I started looking for the "best" of the shooty armies. While IG might be very good at this it's a horde army and I'm in no mood of painting another 200 models just yet, so here I am.
So do you got any advise about a 850-1000 points Battlesuit heavy army.

And by the way Hello everyone.
Welcome!
If you want, check my Tau Army Builder excel Sheet (below in my signature) and make up an army to the point cost that you like before actually buying them!

Single XV8 suits are usually between 50 and the heights of 120-140... depends on how you equip them and if they are commanders/leaders or not.

HQ XV8 can be around 100-140 points, then a Bodyguard Shas'vre team of 2 XV8's (each around 100-120 points).
Then Elite teams of up to 3 Models, each around 100 (if you equip them) or 60-70 (if they have only basic weapons).
Of course you have to have a troop in your army - Firewarriors, but if you really want to minimise these, go for 6 of them for example, taking only 60 points.

In my oppinion add at least one Tank - would say Hammerhead as a Heavy Support.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 11:46   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks allot mate.
I'll start too work on the list immediately, that Excel Sheet was a really handy little thing!
Old 15 Jun 2007, 15:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker

Welcome to the Forums, Burning Wound.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2007, 12:07   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks Adam
Old 17 Jun 2007, 03:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I strongly suggest the Boxsets... They are a great value.
The best value is to buy the Mega-force, Battle-force, and 2x Skyrays (they come with enough parts to make a 'fish, a Hammerhead or a Skyray.)
But that would give you a Mechanized Force.

If you are interested in Battle Suit heavy force... check out Forge World... Their suits are very cool.

As far as 1000pt Army lists...

need at least two firewarrior teams (w/shas'ui and bonded)

and at least one tank (Ionhead would be best)

that leaves you with right at 600pts to spend on Battlesuits.

I would do:
Commander
Stealth Team
3 Teams of x 2 XV8s

Hope that helps.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 13:05   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I bought the old battleforce a long time ago and I can't believe how much you get in the new ones. They're much better value for money.

I would recommend getting the smaller battleforce and expanding on it. You get all the basics then you can add as many battlesuits as you want.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 15:12   #8 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

For a themed army here are few hints.

Troops : well our FW`s are awesome take two 10-12 men squads. I would keep them cheap w/o any upgrades and just use them as objective grabbers and distraction.

Heavy Support : Ionhead with burst cannons, multi tracker, decoy launcher, disruption pod, flechetes, target lock Total:150
Its also called Lawn Mower its gonna chew Thur infantry of any kind.

I would also spend 150 on 2x phiraniah with Fusion Blaster Decoy Launchers and Targeting Array.
Two reasons behind that they are awesome at tank hunting , especially in melta range. Also they will provide 4 drones for your commander to use his IC status to full potential .
At this step you should be on 500-540 p this leaves you 1/2 of your points to be spent on suits.

Lest start by describing two main schools of suit configuration in other words
- 2 weapon systems and MT (BS3 lots of shots , multi purpose suits) best example is Fire Knife , Plasma , Missile Pods and Multi Tracker.
- Specialized suits twin linked weaponry with Targeting Array (they hit 8/9 times very reliable)
This will boil down to your personal preference , but in my opinion specialized suits do their job better , only good multi purpose suits are HQ`s due to their high BS which makes 2 weapons effective.
With 3 elite slots I would field such combo.
1# 2x Shas`Ui with Twin Linked Missile Pods and Targeting array - They can take down light vehicles and be effective against light infantry
2# 2x Shas`Ui with twin linked Plasma Rifles and Targeting arrays - MEQ/TEQ killers
3# 3-4 Stealth Suits w/o any upgrades , by mathammer buying 3 stealth's with TA`s and 4 w/o will yield same amount of hits so simply points are better spend on more bodies aka more wounds. As ex nid player you should know what they are capable against horde enemy's , not to mention with such amount of shoots even MEQ`s are bound to fail some saves.
You could take 4 fire knives in teams of two... but I like suits that have one role and excel at it rather than multi purpose but not so good in anything.

Now lets talk about HQ.
In low points game nice idea is Shas`El (bs4) targeting array (now he is BS5 ) spaling Hard Wired Target Lock and then two weapon systems.
Shas`O does have BS 5 BUT you are paying extra points for useless stats (WS , A ) so its more point efficient to use El with TA.
When it comes to weapons i would suggest two configurations
- Plasma Rifle and Missile Pods , BS5 Fire Knife is solid unit.
- Cyclic Ion Blaster and Missile Pods or Burst Cannons (personally i put MP over BC`s) , dakka suit , has to take it close to enemy but we have means to shield him from return fire.
Try to make HQ`s one dimensional , excelling at one type of enemy simply to be efficient in its job.

Now the 4 drones from phiranias come to play.
Put them 3-5" from your commander , at front . As long as they are alive he can`t be targeted due to IC status , they act like 4 ablative wounds . Opponent will need to lose some dakka to take them down , and they don`t yield no VP`s for him.

For costs... all you need is Tau Megaforce [ two (2) Crisis Suits, three (3) Stealth Suits (and Markerlight Drone), twenty (20) Fire Warriors, six (6) Gun Drones, three (3) Piranhas, one (1) Devilfish APC and one (1) Hammerhead Gunship] its reasonably priced , depending on situation you pay 60-70% of actual worth of models.
Then just get one HQ suit and few XV`s and you have nice 1000p army.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 03:21   #9 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursivecoin
I strongly suggest the Boxsets... They are a great value.
The best value is to buy the Mega-force, Battle-force, and 2x Skyrays (they come with enough parts to make a 'fish, a Hammerhead or a Skyray.)
But that would give you a Mechanized Force.

If you are interested in Battle Suit heavy force... check out Forge World... Their suits are very cool.

As far as 1000pt Army lists...

need at least two firewarrior teams (w/shas'ui and bonded)

and at least one tank (Ionhead would be best)

that leaves you with right at 600pts to spend on Battlesuits.

I would do:
Commander
Stealth Team
3 Teams of x 2 XV8s

Hope that helps.
I think you must mean 2 teams of 3 as if you take the stealth team that would be 4 elites choices.
Nice but a bit illegal.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 18:35   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for all the advices, they are extremly heplful, jus keep them comming

Burn