Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gue'vesa Usefulness
Old 13 Jun 2007, 22:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to blade_masda
Default Gue'vesa Usefulness

I've been examining the Gue'vesa for my army (as it afford a great conversion and is just so sweet to let pass) and are wondering about how theyt can best be put to use. I know that most commonly they are used for kamakazie tank busting, but i have a different use.

80p
5 Gue'vesa'la
-3 lasguns
-2 pulse carbines
-emp grenade
1 Gue'vesa'ui
-lasgun
-markerlight
-emp grenade

This is a very nice, cheap kamakazie squad who can sit infront of you fire warriors and get assulted (only 6 will be killed of with ease allowing another volley). They can scare off tanks with their emp grenades (or kill them if you so desire) and the pulse carbines can provide them with reasonable small arms fire (possibility of pining). Lastly, the 'ui has a markerlight so he can mark even more targets than pathfinders along, or improve the BS of your firewarriors sitting behind. for 80p, I was considering having 2-3 of these in my army (yes it takes up troops, but thats why we bring battlesuits).

Now, What do you think of it all? And dont be nice, thats not what constructive critizism is all about (or facism, but thats beside the point)

-Shas'el Dal'yth Tsua'm Ukos, in refference to the 13th Repentant Adeptus Astartes of Overlord Deathwing
blade_masda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 22:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Gue'vesa Usefulness

I use gue'vesa, but not like that. I'm not sure how that'll turn out. I run twelve of the guys, nice big unit for nabbing objectives and screening. Even better is nobody expects them, so they're usually overestimated, at least to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 22:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This seems like a situational unit. Yes, I agree that it doesnt cost much and is an easy way to block assaults and to screen your fire warriors. Also thats a cheap source of markerlights, which is always nice.

However, 80 points add up, and with 3 squads of how you said, thats enough to buy a strong firewarrior team with a devilfish. This squad costs to much IMO to be suicidal. It could be usefull if someone was using an assault army. However, if they had nothing else to shoot at, they could easily drop your 80 point squad in one round of shooting. Also, this unit wouldnt work in a Mech list, it might in a hybrid.

I'd like to see how this could work on the battlefield though. So, I might proxy one of these squads to see how it will work.
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2007, 16:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ot really isnt worth putting all the goodies on them. A 6 man unit with a leader w/ a marker light would be real cheap and more points effective. They act as a screen and an an extra marker light.

C/-Rt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2007, 20:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to blade_masda

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/-Rt3r
Ot really isnt worth putting all the goodies on them. A 6 man unit with a leader w/ a marker light would be real cheap and more points effective. They act as a screen and an an extra marker light.
i see your point. to shave off point i could just remove the emp grenades, but i'd prefer to keep the carbines. they arent that expensive, give the squads the ability to actually do some damage and a very slim chance of pinning. im not having carbines in my firewarriors, so i am taking them where i can get them, which is why am also taking gun drone (those babies pack a punch, but thats not what this is about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEskimo
This seems like a situational unit. Yes, I agree that it doesnt cost much and is an easy way to block assaults and to screen your fire warriors. Also thats a cheap source of markerlights, which is always nice.

However, 80 points add up, and with 3 squads of how you said, thats enough to buy a strong firewarrior team with a devilfish. This squad costs to much IMO to be suicidal. It could be usefull if someone was using an assault army. However, if they had nothing else to shoot at, they could easily drop your 80 point squad in one round of shooting. Also, this unit wouldnt work in a Mech list, it might in a hybrid.

I'd like to see how this could work on the battlefield though. So, I might proxy one of these squads to see how it will work.
yes it is a situational unit, but the thing is that i will be engineering this situation for people to fall into. everyone knows tau cant stand up to even IG in CC so they will try to assult you. if they dont assult the gue'vesa, they will be charged.
also, like i said before, i was thinking of removing the emp grenades from the squad because im am doubting anyone will get their tanks close enough.
if they can shoot the gue'vesa, then they will be in range of my firewarriors, or dam close to it. that is no usually a very common scenario, so im not worring about that to much
and lastly, im not mech tau mainly because i dun want to spend money and point on all those devil fish when i could be getting more battle suits. im not using mercs either. im going to have a solid base of fire, with a meat shield and fast moving, hard hitting squads to break their assulting lines up because no one but IG can even think of beating tau in a shootout

i prob should have told you the stratagy i was using before so you didnt have to run through possible scenarios

-Shas'el Dal'yth Tsua'm Ukos, in refference to the 13th Repentant Adeptus Astartes of Overlord Deathwing
blade_masda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 14:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think your points were slightly off, I believe that should only come to 78 points.

That said, dropping the emp grenades should put you at a 60pt team. MUCH more expendable. I suggest that you either bring the markerlight, or field them with emp grenades, and no other upgrades.

They're inherently horribly fragile, so they're expendable by default. Don't trick them out for more than one role, because they almost certainly won't be that survivable.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2007, 17:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

I think if you're going to use a markerlight, then you should use Rifles instead of Carbines or just stick to Lasguns. I use two midsize 8 man squads with Carbines and I don't put lights on 'em. I just keep them running. Sometimes I stick EMPs and sometimes I don't. It keeps my opponents on their toes. They either then focus fire on my Gue'Vesa and waste ammo or they ignore them and discover their Predator just fell to a few Gue'Vesa with EMPs. The main reason I use two squads of them in a mech heavy-Hybrid List (There's a unit of Sniper drones in there, and a unit of Stealth suits, and my XV8s are all deathrains(Commander aside), otherwise everything is mounted or a vehicle)is because I usually play reserves. I find that I have terrible luck with getting first turn and a devilfish sitting still at game start catches a lot of fire on the opening turn which seems to leave me down a fish. With 2 gue'vesa squads on the board, I haven't got much in play early, but I also don't care what I lose early on. The fish can then come in and I don't have to worry about them being sitting ducks before I get my Firewarriors into position.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 03:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I say it is best to do either:

3 teams of 6 with leader and Markerlight, only.

Or

one team of 12 with EMPs... to interecpt enemy transports and tie up the guys inside.