Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau energy
Old 13 Jun 2007, 18:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau energy

I was just wondering...what energy-sources do the Tau use? I know that the Imperium rely on Promethium and Plasma Reactors, but I don't have a clue as to what the Tau use. Is anything mentioned about this in BFG or one of the Armour books?

EDIT: I just found the 40K Universe forum, and I think that it would fit in better there, could someone please move it? Thank you.
dunehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 20:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau energy

I think that they use some of the same power sources, like plasma generators. I don't know all that much on this subject but they probably use hydroelectric dams and probably wind power when possible as it's free sources of energy.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 20:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Promethium isn't really a power source, it's more like flamethrower fuel. Think napalm.

I'd imagine they use electricity, given how electric-based their weaponry is. Probably from a variety of sources.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 21:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well all the races will exploit the fundamental electromagnetic energy, I mean you use a light source. Bang! electromagnetic energy.

So really that is being a tad too general. Promethium is Napalm, but it is also Hydrocarbons, just a refined form.

On the topic of 'power' I believe that the Tau use nuclear fusion as their source of energy. Why? Fusion Blasters gives the BIG hint. Wind turbines, HEP fanciful but why waste time and resources building so called 'renewables' when you can just get so much more energy from your lovely reactor (which you might like to know will use plasma in its 'hot' reaction).

It also makes alot more sense when we start to look at Tau architecture, do we see solar farms or turbines or large structures spanning out across the landscape? No. Instead small colony's which are self contained. Small hot fusion reactors forfill this roll exceedingly well IMO.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 21:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Gen has it spot on. Fusion Reactors.

Notably, however, as best my understanding goes, plasma reactors essentially are fusion reactors. Non-plasma fusion would be cold fusion, but that isn't strictly necessary or indicated in this case so I'd happily sit with 'Fusion Reactors'. Fairly advanced and they probably use them like we, today, use batteries (ie "Check out my new tauPod Micro! you only need a single fusion nano-plant to run it, and it stores an entire civilisations' worth of songs!"). I'd also not be terribly surprised to find they'd mastered energy-at-a-distance. A bloke on TV (from one fo the London universities, I believe) was talking about wireless-power. Rather than utilising magnetic induction (which the reporter correctly supposed I'd guess was what made it work), it uses resonance as the primary 'innovative' bit, with induction being a very unimportant part of the process...apparently.

In the Imperium, you plug in computer. In the Tau Empire, computer plugs in you!

;D :
Old 13 Jun 2007, 21:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Promethium is a radioactive element used in Imperial power sources. Melta weapons are basically what happens when they let the promethium reaction go out of control, making a beam of incredible heat and energy. Humans tend to use Fission reactions (like our nuclear power generators)

The Tau use a more efficient system of fusion, as evident in their smaller but more efficient weapons that tend to do more damage, and the ability to have light walkers that don't have noticeable exhausts.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 22:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to PaxAnteBEllum

Wireless power would be incredibly useful on the battlefield, especially if ones gun fire plasma. Never have to reload, don't have to carry ammunition. This Tau is including that in his fluff
Old 13 Jun 2007, 22:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxAnteBellum
Never have to reload, don't have to carry ammunition. This Tau is including that in his fluff
Pulse weapons do use ammo, there is a chemical reaction that turns the material into plasma... hence the reason for str 5 guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogalmighty
... and the ability to have light walkers that don't have noticeable exhausts.
Tau use Anti-grav for their main propulsion. I would also think that they would use ion engines for their secondary thrusters.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 11:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well those ion thrusters gotta be quite huge... we use them now on space ships... and i gotta say.. theyre SLOW!!!! and require lots of power... i dont see them as a "thruster" in any way...
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2007, 12:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by executioner
well those ion thrusters gotta be quite huge... we use them now on space ships... and i gotta say.. theyre SLOW!!!! and require lots of power... i dont see them as a "thruster" in any way...

Uh they produce thrust there for they are "thrusters" :. The ones we have on our spae ships these days are actuly quite energy efficent and they can travel much much further that conventional chemical rockets. As mentioned the only down side is their speed
Solourus is offline   Reply With Quote