Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What if...
Old 13 Jun 2007, 09:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default What if...

What do you guys think would happen if the Imperium seriously decided to try wiping out the Tau? I mean, something more like the Sabbath Crusade than the Damocles one.
dunehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 09:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: What if...

...there would be no more tau :'(

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 09:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well there is no doubt the tau would be wiped out eventualy* :-[ But fortunatly for the tau it would be highly unlikely that the imperium could aford to devote that many recources to wiping them out, they have other more pressing threats to devote their recources too.
Solourus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 11:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't think the Imperium would be able to win anymore. The Tau have grown a lot since the Damocles crusade, both in territory and manpower and in experience. The Tau fleet used to be a push-over, but they do appear to be a lot stronger now. So I don't think anything the Imperium can conceivably throw at them can destroy them anymore. My money is on the guys with Railguns
dunehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 11:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Even with the resources of the Sabbats World Crusade style forces, I don't think they could tackle the post 3rd Phase Expansion Tau Empire. Even the Damocles Gulf Crusade ground to a halt up against one (albeit quite significant) Sept World.

It wasn't a case of 'ah well, we gotta go guys, sorry about not exterminating you!'...they were held up and on the verge of being turned back by the Tau. The Empire is stronger now, more world-weary, grizzled and experienced. It's seen worlds ripped apart by the warp (Medusa V), it's faced splinter fleets. Given the poor infrastructure in the region of the Tau Empire and supposing that a Sabbat-Scale Crusade Force were established....I wouldn't offer them much hope in the Tau Empire.

As the Imperium notes in its own authoratative reckoning on the Tau: If indeed such a thing is now possible. That was back during the pre 3rd Phase empire. Now the Tau Empire is stronger, and the Imperium is weaker. I don't think the Imperium can seriously try to wipe out the Tau. They have no resources to commit against the Tau, they have more pressing threats and even if they could dredge up the resources...it might not even work. Alaitoc Craftworld has already been implicated in aiding the Tau Empire by defeating Waaagh! Scraghurtz on the request of the Demiurg, if a serious threat did raise its head: I'd be very interested, but the Tau would survive it, I feel.

They're established now, and they're not afraid to just jump on some ships and sail off into the galaxy as some part ragtag fugitive fleet...they'll survive.

As a small note to Dunehunter: The Imperium's fleet routinely uses railguns on almost all its warships! They're just one of many of the magnificent weapons arrays that make up weapons batteries. They also have Nova Cannons, zonkin' 'uge railguns!
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Durza

I would actually have to disagree Xisor, If the Imperium were to through enough rescources at the Tau, they would wipe them out. But in doing so would probably weaken the Imperium too much.
Durza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

IF the Imperium could draw together such a large force, then yes, they could easily wipe out the Tau.

But in their present state, they're too spread out to pose a big threat. But I mean, all this is just speculation, the Imperium isn't going to do anything of the sort anytime soon, and plus, GW wouldn't kill off what is a now a high-selling army of theirs would they?
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Durza

That's what I'm saying, the Tau could be wiped out by the Imperium, but the cost in doing so would be too great.
Durza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 13:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Imperium actually doesn't have to do anything at all.

According to Tyranid codices, the entire eastern fringe is going to be devoured by the all-devouring tyranid mega-fleet. . code named by Imperial agents as Tyranidfanboyzwrotethecodex-Rex.

:P
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 13:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The only way the Imperium could wipe out the Tau is if they had a large enough fleet to totally surround all of the Tau Empire. I'm sure they could never muster enough forces to do this, sicne one hole in the blockade and the Tau would escape. They would not fight to the end, loosing one world at a time, they would tactically retreat and then colonize elsewhere. There is no way the Imperium could exterminate the Tau.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote