Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rail Head Vs Sky Ray (Rethinking...)
View Poll Results: So? Did my argument made sence? Will you consider Sky Ray over Rail Head?
Yes, it did, I will reconsider my opinion. 10 33.33%
Yes, it did, but Rail Head is too cool. 7 23.33%
No it didn't, its all hot air! Rail Head dominates! 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Jun 2007, 00:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Rail Head Vs Sky Ray (Rethinking...)

***Takes a hammer and nails a weirdly looking chart to the tree***

Ok, I have a question. I saw many lists and when I made mine, I faced a dilemma.

My list (which is hear -> http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=47349.0) has enough anti tank weapons IMO (which are dispersed thru the list). The full list of weapons in the link above.

Main punch is provided by 4 piranhas with fusion and 2 man death rain team that can target up to 2 APC per turn.

So by the time I came to the Heavy support section I had some point shortage. I could get either Sky Ray or Rail Head. Now I put these Pro and cons on the chart ->

***Oily peace of paper with bad hand writing***
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
***NOTE, deffence weapons are NOT counted in as they are they same***

[size=14pt]Sky Ray[/size]

Pros

-> 6 seeker missiles.
-> 10 points cheaper (thats nothing really)
-> 2 marker lights and free target lock (hammer head gets free TA, which is usually better)
-> Can fire even when shaken/stun
-> Seekers can't be blown off (as far as I remmember)
-> Fires 6 8str AP3 shots per game (without counting markers and deffence weapons)
-> Seekers doesn't need LOS or Range.
->Can potentially fire all missiles in ONE turn (with luck and positioning)
-> BS 4 for Deffence (TA is a default) BS 5 for Main weapon
-> Much less of attraction for fire the Rail Head meaning has chance to survive.

Cons

-> Not cheap (Really not cheap)
-> Can't attack GEQ (It can, but you would be the dumbest person in a 7 mile radius if you attack Infantry platoon with seekers...)
-> Takes Heavy Support slot.
-> NEED LIGHTS
-> Lights have 36' range so you have to move with the rest and not just hang in a back

[size=14pt]Rail Head[/size]

Pros

-> Intimidating (its a con too)
-> Gun that can't glance (except for skimmers and smoke/obscure)
-> 10 str GUN with a capital G
-> PIE PLATE OF DOOM (Str 6 AP 4)
-> Can fir 6 shots per game (potentially can fire more then 6 per game if it is longer then 6 turns)
-> Evil in night fight (Brutal, fatal, sadistic etc can better describe Rail Head with BSF at night)
-> Can stay back and shower enemy from a safe distance.

Cons

-> Fire magnet
-> If you will miss the shooting turn ( aka shaken/stunned, no LOS, out of range (only in Night fight, I mean common 72' feet?)) you will LOSE a rail and you will never get it back...
-> Gun can be destroyed (You can't re roll that)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Ok so hears my argument. While Rail Head beats Sky Ray on Pie plate count and on the Str count. It is much more fragile. Plus it can "loose" shots. However, Sky Ray, unless its dead or all lights are put out, can ALWAYS fire and will not loose shots. Plus in normal game. Rail head can fire exact same number of shots that Sky Ray can! Also if the game is shorter, Sky Ray can fire more shots!

So what do you say?

P.S. Don't forget to vote in the poll ^_^

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 00:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Rail Head Vs Sky Ray (Rethinking...)

I believe that seekers can be taken of the tank but you are more likely to get the marker lights to get taken off as they are the only way to use the missiles other than other units. The S R only has 6 strength 8 weapons and it does not matter how many turns there is in the game. a railhead has a strength 10 weapon that doubles as a GeQ killer. It also has a range of 72 inches just put it on a hill and you are ready to go... though not the best tactic.

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
Greater good or bust. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 01:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like both as they have different jobs. Skyrays are fire support and are used to support other units and relys on others too. Pathfinders and markerlights to fire missiles which actually raises the price of the Skyray as you will need enough lights to make use of it effectively.

Hammerheads on the other hand are more independent and are gun boats and a main battle tank rather than a support unit. Meaning that it can hang out in the front lines for a lond time while the Skyray should make use of it's unlimited range (via markerlights throughout the army).

P.S. the hammer heads range is 72" inches not feet. So it has a 6' foot range.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 01:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Railheads are nice, no doubt. They can take out almost any tank* on the table in one shot, if your lucky. Unless your opponents fielding a Baneblade or something.

However Skyray is also pretty powerful. The only other thing that wasnt mentioned is that hammerheads can take an Ion Cannon. Which is, essentially the same thing as a Seeker Missle, Strength and AP wise. Also, this gives you more shots per turn than with the Skyray, if there are no other markerlight sources. On the other hand, the seeker missles shoot at BS5 and have unlimited range, also, the Skyray is the only unit in the Tau army that can take mobile markerlights. Which is useful if you dislike pathfinders.

Even though a Ionhead can outshoot a Skyray in a 6 turn game, I think I might get one and field it as a source of mobile markerlights.

BE
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 01:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I love the Sky Ray more then any other piece of equipment in my army. I have fielded both Sky Ray and the Hammerhead together, but ditched the Hammerhead in favor of some sniper drowns and a Piranha.
Hears why...
The hammerhead is a fire magnet, the biggest I have ever seen. Its rather disgusting actually, to watch something that attracts so much fire lose its best weapon before you can even be in position to fire it.
Sky Ray beats this because it has 6 Seeker Missiles to lose, so you don't have to worry about weapon destroyed results. Also, Greater good or bust, the marker lights can never be removed. No strength value = not a weapon. Squad based marker lights become your friend, as your enemy will not see the seeker missile screaming into his side armor from the tank who has no line of sight.
It became my fav anti light infantry weapon as well, as it doesn't gain as much attention from enemy fire as the Hammerhead, you can get close with the Burst Cannons and open up with 6 strength 5 shots at a BS of 5. And don't underestimate the value of sending a seeker at a light unit. I have cut down a squad to a single man a few times, and still had markerlight hits on that last man. So instead of waisting shots better spent else where, I will send in my trusty seeker to waist him. Its fun to do that, the look on my opponents face as a missile that is bigger then their unit smacks him and owns it.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 01:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

-> Crisis 541

IMO Sky Ray should be advancing as much as it can. He isn't that intimidating. He can take a hit. He can tank shock. His guns are best at 36''< range. He can provide mobile cover negating/BS increasing to the armored fish fist that it supports. Plus by the turn two (three max) he should already lunch every missile on board.

-> BurntEskimo

Ion head ISN'T considered! He is in entirely different class of gun boats. Both Price and fire power wise. ***HINT*** Read the title ^_^

-> Commander DarkSide

I am almost 90% positive that SEEKERS and LIGHTS can not be ripped off.
So you better take them BC so you wouldn't go down after one Weapon Destroyed result.

On the GEQ count, I guess you got me there

Thanx for comments (Hey I didn't say stop ^_^)

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 01:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog

-> Commander DarkSide

I am almost 90% positive that SEEKERS and LIGHTS can not be ripped off.
So you better take them BC so you wouldn't go down after one Weapon Destroyed result.

On the GEQ count, I guess you got me there

Thanx for comments (Hey I didn't say stop ^_^)

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!
Ya, Seekers can be ripped off, but the Lights can not. Thats why its funny when opponents get Weapon Destroyed results, "Can I take your Light?" "Nope, but you can have a seeker missile =P"
Old 12 Jun 2007, 02:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

you also can take off ONE seeker missile at a time! as they are different weapon systems. just like if you get burst cannons they only take off one at a time.

Here is my points.
The hammer head will hit 4 out of 6 shots so only 4 turns will it hit (all mathematically) so if your playing a good person that has units that have 4 saves such as oh Tau Fire warriors. i will keep them in a building so the pie plate i still get my cover saves. and if i spread them around most you can get is 3. at a time.

The seeker missiles on the sky ray on the other hand will hit 5 out of 6 shots. and plenty of damage to instant death most commanders. but here is the glory trick. commanders will avoid the hammer head at all costs. but now it cant avoid all units with a marker light in his hand.

God i love having a group of pathfinders and my sniper drone team light up a group of Ogryns and kill them all in one swoop of seeker missles
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 02:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

About the poll: Why is there not an "I already knew all this stuff and have a Sky Ray (or two)" option?

The Weapon Destroyed stuff is in the BGB.
Any weapon with a Strength of 4 or higher, including upgrades such as pintle mounts, hunter-killers, seekers, etc, can be removed by weapon destroyed results.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 02:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
About the poll: Why is there not an "I already knew all this stuff and have a Sky Ray (or two)" option?
Hay, I was wondering the same thing.
I demand a change to the poll options!