Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can you ever have too many Crisis Suits?
Old 11 Jun 2007, 03:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Can you ever have too many Crisis Suits?

I started playing Tau because I loved the look of the Crisis Teams. When Forge World came out with their suits the love grew even more.

However, during the darkdays (when shield drones were useless) between 4th Edition release and the New Codex. I shelved most of my suits and have been playing Mech Tau ever since.

I have started to use more and more suits, recently.

I am tempted to use a nearly all suit list.

How, well do you think it will play?

Any suggestions for... or experience with suit heavy lists?
Old 11 Jun 2007, 04:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Mitch: the noob
Default Re: Can you ever have too many Crisis Suits?

well, i used a realitively suit heavy list, with a fire base they can jump around...
2 Hq suits and 3 seperate elite units of one suit (removes alot of the bothersom moral rules...) completely tooled out for destrection of whatever im facing at the time...
and i love them... they usually acrue the most amount of points killed, and are the workhorse unit of my army, able to pop light to medium vehicles with reliability, and able to kill marines with complete ease...
im contemplating a farsight army as of right now, because i damn near play one without any on the benefits...
i dont use xenos, one one hammer head... well, before i go rambling on about me, let me answer your question...

crisis suits are a god send in my opinion, and make stealth suits almost useless
(a cheapo twinlinked flamer suicide suit, deep striked by some meaty squad of choice can earn back waaayyy more points than stealth suits will be able to in an entire game... atleast in my experience)
i make them all general suits, maybe with a little bit of mix up, sitcking with the fireknife most of the time... but putting in a random CIB here, or a fusion blaster there... but always keeping a misslpod on them...

and in my experience, a two weapon, targetting aray, HW multi-tracker suit, is WAYYY more effective for the points than a twinlinked suit...
Old 11 Jun 2007, 04:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

personaly, i think the strength of the tau is in their battlesuits. The tau jetpacks lend themeslves excelently to cover hopping. The weapons combinations on the suits work excelelently, and a ful team of them is less than fun to have to take down. though ive never personaly used stealth suits, a friend of mine uses them very well. They usually dye quickly but they draw a huge amount of fire away from stuff that other units should be shooting at.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 08:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

i dont like using an absorbant ammount of them becaues one missle can take out 50 points of a unit out in one hit. but i think you have have to many when you break the limit on the ammount you can have
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 08:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Not until you max out the number you can have in a Farsight Army. ;D
TheMav80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 12:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah more than three. One HQ and a Two man XV-8 Squad. Well I tell a lie, what I should really say is thats the minimum number of XV-8 suits you should take. Anything more really is supplementary and anything less is losing out on what you could have.

IMO Stealthsuits are much much more useful then many people think. Used as a big squad WITHOUT THE FUSTION BLASTER UPGRADE, and either drones or TA insure that the amount of Dakka they can put out and still stay mobile is sick. Against bugs or guardsmen it is just plain evil. Even the CIB on a Shas'o cannot kill as well as this.

When you put your mid-lv firepower in the hands of Railrifles from Sniper drones and pathfinder squads (on this note I'm going to side track);

-Off topic
Nasty Pathfinder Sniper Squads of Doom:

Cost:
80+22*3+57=203
Setup:
-Shas'ui Team Leader with Drone Controller and Marker Drone
-3X Shas'la with Railrifles

Use: Although ridiculously expensive compared to Sniper Drones a squad of this nature has the advantage of mobility first. The squad itself works in two main ways. First the snipers add their fire along with a possible markerlight hit from the marker drone to hurt enemy squads and pin them. In this way you may have a 3 BS 4 shots at your opponent. Then you have the Shas'ui leader with Target lock, this can be used to make markerlight shots at other enemy squads in the same turn.

240pts for Sniper Drones + 2x NPSSD (406pts) = 646pts for 15 S6 AP3 shots (Plus some other Dakka) This can stop an army in its tracks, note the pinning...

-On topic

You don't need those XV-8s so much anymore even the J-S-J doesn't really help, even though it would be a cheaper option. In the long run it is based on how you like to play, a Mech army can be fun to play, but then so can a Hybrid list, because it keeps your opponent guessing on how you are going to play.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 14:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It all depends on how much terrain is available. XV8's are dependant on terrain for their survival. If you're plaing in an environment that is light on terrain (as most tournaments are), it's rare that you'll have enough places to hide more than 2 units.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 15:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No, you can never have too many crisis suits. They are the best unit the Tau Empire codex contains.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 15:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast
No, you can never have too many crisis suits. They are the best unit the Tau Empire codex contains.
dam right!!
i forgotten how many i own... and just ordered two ore from ebay lol, and gonna get a nice new commander for my GT force, my 1500 gt force has 8 in it, along with three hammerheads, 3 pirahna, 19 kroot and six fire warriors
yes
i have more suits in my army than fire warriors > > > >

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 16:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use four in almost every army list I create. One reason is that I've only built four, but I have a fifth, and once I've finished 500 points of orks I'll build the last suit.

I love the suits, but I think if you had too many, you would not have enough bodies on the field with which to deal with many types of armies. Don't get me wrong they are one of the best units we have, but like Khanaris said, if you don't have cover they die.

I play most mech, allthough I'm headed into a more hybrid style, but I find a lot of times my suits get pinned behind cover, and are unable to move anywhere else. Yes, they can move 12" but if they come out of cover, and can't make it to the next piece, they die.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote