Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need help please
Old 10 Jun 2007, 16:36   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Need help please

Good afternoon everyone

There is a tournament going on at my LGS that I would like to enter - two catagories in particular:

Kill Team (160 points)
1200 points w/ no tanks

Can anyone make any suggestions for a good army list for each?

Thanks

LIG
Old 10 Jun 2007, 18:31   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Need help please

Well for the 1200 with no tanks, think about a team of broadsides for anything big and scary, though with no tanks, it might be a little pointless. A sniper team or two could also be beneficial, but to make up the lack of heavy armour some extra crisis suits would be points well spent. Also markerlights are going to be a problem, no pathfinder team (devilfish requirement), and no seekers will be available.

As far as kill team goes, a firewarrior squad with a couple of drones would massacure baddies, get in rapid fire range, 24 shots will kill any 3 man baddie squad easy, and the shields will keep them alive.

-12 firewarriors (TL+'ui, 2 shield drones)
160 no laws broken
mOoEyThEcOw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 18:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Most people overlook the fact that Sniper Drones can have up to 3 Sniper Teams per Heavy choice.

A little trick I've picked up against even the stalwart marines is to use your target locks to divide all three shots against separate marine squads. That means Sniper A is shooting a single shot against marine squad A, B and C, Sniper B is shooting a single shot against marine squad A, B and C, ect, ect.

This has the added benefit of should you connect (BS 4, with markerlight) and make a kill (most likely, since it bypasses marine's power armour) it requires a pinning test from each sniper team that connects. Which means if two separate sniper teams kill two to three models per team, you're forcing multiple pinning tests per marine squad.

I realize their typical leadership is 10, but eventually one of those will fail, especially if your opponent loves minimized troop lists of 5 marines; if two die, their leadership drops one point and on 2d6, rolled twice, there is a chance you'll roll 10, 11 or 12.

Just a thought.
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 19:11   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'm rather new, I know tau but i play against a space Marine player, who has 'accidentally' cheated before, according to him his entire army is fearless, can deepstrike half, and have dual tl-las cannons and flamers on a dreadnought? is that normal? And that makes the pinning pointless, but according the last post they aren't all fearless?
Old 10 Jun 2007, 20:53   #5 (permalink)
lonely tau

If it's 1200 points no tanks, I'd suggest not entering...but it's most likely just me :P

In the 1200 point game just remember: Kroot are your friends, 36 Fire warrior static base, Crisis and Stealth Suits. Another good idea would be to inclue some of them Sniper Drone types...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOoEyThEcOw
-12 firewarriors (TL+'ui, 2 shield drones)
160 no laws broken
Technically I do believe that is 1 rule broken, as it's 14 models...
Old 10 Jun 2007, 21:08   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

whoops my mistake, but what about the space marine player? or should i make a new post?

Quote:
I'm rather new, I know tau but i play against a space Marine player, who has 'accidentally' cheated before, according to him his entire army is fearless, can deepstrike half, and have dual tl-las cannons and flamers on a dreadnought? is that normal? And that makes the pinning pointless, but according the last post they aren't all fearless?
Old 11 Jun 2007, 02:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

No Tanks!

At first that looks bad for Tau. But realize that means no tanks for the enemy either.

Here is the chance to roll with all the Crisis suits you own. (Hell, buy 3 extra if you have time to paint them.)

Take a 3 man team of Stealth Suits, with 4 markerdrones and give the team leader a marker light and target array. (since you can't use pathfinders)

I think that would be a fun tourney to play.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 02:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Mitch: the noob

1,200 points with no tanks...
i think there is only one way i can say this...
crisis suits up the ying yang!!!
sniper drones are nifty for killing the fexes and what not that you know that you will see...
as many firewarriors as you can squeeze in...

1,200 point no tanks sounds fun... for a grey knight player
;D

i didnt think there was a model max on kill teams though...
making kill teams for Tau is very difficult....
if you have any secondary armies, id say go with them instead...
Old 11 Jun 2007, 03:44   #9 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch: the noob
i didnt think there was a model max on kill teams though...
making kill teams for Tau is very difficult....
Perosnally, I run a 6 Fire Warrior(carbines) 6 Kroot Hound team and theywork awesomely. Plus there is a ton of extra points to boot! This way you have 6 S5 AP5 shots and then you can assault afterwards, assuming you didn't kill them. That means you have 18 S4 I5 attacks on the charge, the enemy goes (if there is any left) and then the Fire Warriors go.