Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau in Combat
Old 08 Jun 2007, 12:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tau in Combat

Tau in Combat

Now please note that I said TAU, so this is not including Kroot or Vespid

Now, as a rule, Tau are the worst army in combat, but, hidden away in that army list, there are some real surprising combat units there.

Ethereals
Ethereals are not a combat unit as such, but just aren’t ranged. They also have the only two combat weapons available (not including O’Shovah’s Dawn Blade), the Honour Blade and Symbols of Office. I included them in this, however, to show that they are not useless, but not very good. For +10 Pts, you can upgrade their strength to 5, which gives them a bit more of a punch. I find that Ethereals are only really useful for providing a morale boost, but that’s just my opinion.

Commanders
Although these can be equipped with some lethal ranged weapons, they are also quite good in combat. They are great at taking out lone characters, and I find that five S5 attacks can really mean the end of most Imperial Guard characters and sometimes even Space Marine and Necron characters. They also have a nice WS of 4 and a 3+ save, aswell as T4, allowing them to stay in a fight and still (sometimes) come out victorious. A bad thing is that, to get WS 4, four attacks, four wounds, you have to get a Shas’O, but to me, this isn’t too bad, as I only ever use Shas’Os anyway. Another bad thing is I3, which means a lot of enemies will attack first, but with T4, 4 wounds and a 3+ save, this isn’t too bad either. Perhaps the worst downfall is that there are no close combat weapons available to them. I tend to counter this by kitting them out with high rate of fire, short ranged weapons, which normally tends to compensate the low initiative aswell as the no combat situation. After countless trials, I normally use the Commander below:

Shas’O with flamer, cyclic ion blaster, shield generator, stimulant injector, failsafe detonator, iridium armour
-154 Pts

The Cyclic Ion Blaster is able to pump out five shots a turn, aswell as the flamer. After my Commander was creamed by a Chaplain with a Crozius Arcanum, I got rid of a burst cannon and added the shield generator. The stimulant injector gives him a 50% chance of ignoring a wound, and the failsafe detonator is incase everything fails (hence the name). The iridium armour gives my Commander an awesome 2+ save, but the 6” move being reduces doesn’t really make much of a difference, as I will be charging most of the time, and get a save all the time.

Commander Farsight
This guy is the only Tau unit that can really REALLY crunch up enemies in combat. He has the Dawn Blade, allowing him to attack as a monstrous creature, gets our good old shield generator, and loses the dreaded I3 problem. He can also really mash up tanks, as his average roll for armour penetration is 12, which really means trouble for lightly armoured vehicles. I think that the best way to use him is to stick him in a unit of Crisis suits packed with flamers, burst cannons and a Cyclic Ion Blaster if possible. This way, you can let loose a load of shots before charging them, O’Shovah’s five attacks that ignore armour saves should really hurt.

So, I hope that I’ve enlightened you on how to use Tau in combat

Therdyne

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
-A very clever person

Haemonculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2007, 15:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Mitch: the noob
Default Re: Tau in Combat

i dont think farsight is a monsterous creature anymore... and i really have no clue why you want to assault with anything in this army except kroot...
Old 08 Jun 2007, 15:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

really you shouldn't be assaulting with kroot either to be honest. They are there for fire support and infiltration. It is true you can get some CC goodness but there's realyl not much point as you're trading your awesome firepower for an average CC unit. ANd your opponents CC units will kick your ass ten times over and then some.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2007, 18:29   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch: the noob
i dont think farsight is a monsterous creature anymore... and i really have no clue why you want to assault with anything in this army except kroot...
He isn't. And he will still go down to a single Power Fist. So it pays to be careful with him.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2007, 23:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

No mention of my favourite the stealths eh? Of coarse I would never charge with them but they can receive a charge and let loose a whole lot of pain to the enemy! If charged they get I 10 and two attacks each. I don't think thats too shabby at all!

What about the good old gun drones? Those bad boys have the ability to shoot before they charge and hey if the enemy gets pinned maybe you'll be able to get an extra round of shooting in on them. Of coarse they really aren't that great at assult but they have a higher I than a firewarrior and they're pretty cheap points wise for a unit of them, plus you could always use the ones you get for free off of the devil fish! I'd only mention them because they could hold up an enemy unit for a turn, they probably won't actually win a combat, but who cares they're drones.
Old 09 Jun 2007, 00:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Gun drones can actually dish out some punishment in CC. I was playing a kill team game were i was the grunts. I assaulted a full nurgle kill team and won without losing one gun drone.
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2007, 00:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Mitch: the noob

Quote:
really you shouldn't be assaulting with kroot either to be honest. They are there for fire support and infiltration. It is true you can get some CC goodness but there's realyl not much point as you're trading your awesome firepower for an average CC unit. ANd your opponents CC units will kick your ass ten times over and then some.
getting somewhere like 70 attacks on the charge?
unless there is a way to stay in cover and get the I 10... which never happens cause it seems like every unit ever can take frags... im gonna charge that squad in question and get as many attacks as possible...
while i admit its better to usually get your rapid fire, and wait for a charge in cover, my kroot never seem to be able to strike first, and get cleared out
Old 09 Jun 2007, 02:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hi

Havent you ever got your commander stuck in combat and come out victorious?

Quote:
What about the good old gun drones?
Oh, yes, i forgot about them. sorry.

Farsight still has the ability to attack as a monstrous creature, and i wouldn't think that he would be munched up by a powerfist.
Some of you guys should really try out the commander below, it's quite good in combat.

Therdyne

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
-A very clever person

Haemonculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2007, 03:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Farsight still has the ability to attack as a monstrous creature, and i wouldn't think that he would be munched up by a powerfist.
S8 versus T4. All he's got to fall back on is that Shield Generator, which is 50/50... and a buried Powerfirst can swing five or more times in a turn.

Against some targets, Farsight is awesome... infantry, including MEqs without buried 'Fists, and pretty much any landborne vehicle without a DCCW... but he's not the be-all-end-all god of the assault phase by any means.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2007, 04:26   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've had two instances of Tau CC that are realy memorable. In the first I charged into a unit of Firewarriors with 20 VoDing Necron warriors and a Lord, consaquently I got charged by 24 more fire warriors and 20 kroot and lost after a long battle of attrition, the only casulty's I realy made were the kroot :sadnshocked: :sadnshocked:!

The second was my final SM command squad attacking a Tau commander and bodygaurd. After a long debate with himself my opponent desided to try and save his commander by charging the rest of his army in there ???! (I think he was remembering the other game above.) This time he got all but a broadside battlesuit into a combat that became a two round slauterfest in favor of the SMurfs :.