Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need some strategy tips on less comon tau units.
Old 08 Jun 2007, 00:16   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Need some strategy tips on less comon tau units.

First Post Here at Tau Online.

I just recently got back in to 40k and decided to start a Tau army. I have never actually played a game with my tau yet and back when i did play I never faced a tau opponent. Thus Far I have purchased a Tau Battle Force, Squad of 12 fire warriors, and a skyray with swapable hammerhead turret. I intend on fielding a hybrid tau force with overall balance between shooty and mech.

My Question is this... Before I go and start buying more models than what I already have, what are the general pros and cons of the various units beyond your basic fire warriors and commanders. Are there any units besides FWs that can pretty much be fielded in any army list? Which are the ones that are so situational that I could easily skip buying the models for?

I really want to do things right this time around as I have models in my other armies that I painted up, fielded a few times and then shelved.
Lord Bovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2007, 00:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to NileChild
Default Re: Need some strategy tips on less comon tau units.

Basically the models that can be passed up are the Krootox, pathfinders with rail rifles(it defeats the purpose of pathfinders), Vespid and the special characters(though farsight is useable).

If those are the models you have you're going to need more Crisis suits, especially if running hybrid. They basically fill any role in the space between rail gun and pulse rifle. They can be anti-tank, anti-infantry(GEQ, MEQ or TEQ) and such, it's key to specializing each team and if you're up to it magnetize the weapons os you don't get stuck with your first configuration.

With the Tank you have, don't use the skyray head, go for a more traditional railhead, it is the only form of str 10 weaponry and kills other tanks, puls with it's submunition shot and possible SMS(which is a staple) it can also wreak havoc on infantry. A good tactic with them is to hit a tank with the railgun and then hit some other unit anywhere in range of the SMS because it doesn't require LOS.

Wiht FWs FoF is a popular tactic as it uses them to their best advantage of getting rapid fire but not being assaulted.

If you want shooty/mech, lots of battlesuits mixed with Broadsides, and I don't know how you'll want to use your FWs, up to you.

Have fun winning games for the greater good.

NileChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2007, 08:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Kroot are good general purpose units: They can shoot (mass dakka), they can assault, and they can capture objectives. THey also infiltrate, which is good for setting up as bait squads. Piranhas and stealth suits will also be your friends (most opponents are so obsessed over railguns that they tend to forget that we have melta-guns, too).

Like nile said, don't EVER bother with the krootox. Pathfinders, in general, are a very situational unit and must be used carefully (though good commanders can get by without them).
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2007, 15:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

with a hybrid list your gonna be ablee to enjoy alot of toys that mechs have to do without. such as the incredibly accurate and durable broadsisdes.
take at least a team of broadsides with the leader having shield drones, plant these guys in cover fire away.
you also want a full choice of sniper drones, it's hard to find good reliable anti-marine in tau so sniper are great.
for the third heavy i would take an ion cannon hammerhead with most of the goodies in the wargear.
i would also consider taking a squad of piranhas with fusions, these guys can now hunts tanks and hq and are fast.

what i've suggested would be a great starting point and it takes care of the harder roles in tau armies, anti marine. now you need only make some anti hoard selections, FW are the best. then when your about 500 points away from finishing your list you'll want to stop, look at what you will have problems killing and kit some criss suitt to do just that.

the best advice i can give you is always build your units minimal. tau have alot of weapons that are conditional (good only if this circumstance arrives) that never meet the circumstance. it becomes incredibly easy to waste points.
Old 08 Jun 2007, 16:49   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yea Piranhas was something i have been wondering about because i rarely see them in people's army lists.

One thing... im going to assume that an Ionhead is the standard against powerarmor and higher? And that Railgun is better for hoardies?
Lord Bovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2007, 09:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well i always pictured my enemies in a spectrum.

weak inf medium inf light tank medium tank heavy inf heavy tank

raliguns take care of both extremities well.
piranhas can do either extremity, pref heavy side.
fw and stealth kill the left side.
the crisis and the ionheads are usually left with moping up the gap left by the other units.