Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pirhana
Closed Thread
Old 24 Feb 2005, 13:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jonathan
Default Pirhana

Do you think the tau piranha is any good? I've played with it in to matchs in one first it was great in the second rubish
Old 24 Feb 2005, 16:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Pirhana

They look cool but are too expensive point-wise ($$$-wise too I guess) IMO. It's probably one of those units you have to be careful with how you use b/c it's relatively fragile. I wouldn't form any sort of opinion based on 2 games though.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 17:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

both of the tau FW vehicles arent bad for just their rules but way too overpriced. A piranha can costs the same as a vyper and i find the tetra only a little better but still way too expensive cost for my liking....personally i dont see either can really perform a role that cant be done just as well already. But im always open to hearing consistent success stories with them!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 18:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've mentioned before that I would love it if the Pirhana cost as much as a landspeeder, had similar capabilities, and was a FA choice b/c it would fill a big gap in my army. However, as is it's just an overpriced, sluggish LS-wannabe. >

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 03:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

IMO, it sucks. There, I said it. If I want a fast attack skimmer, it'll be the tetra (at least it has markerlights and can do something)
Old 25 Feb 2005, 08:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah but tetras are basically even more expensive on a cost/benefit basis IMO: Most armies have jet bikes that cost substantially less and my previously mentioned landspeeder costs the same and is a lot better.

Old 25 Feb 2005, 09:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes land speeder is cheaper for what it can do, but it is not TAU unit at all, so the Tetra and Piranha are usefull but the are uniqe to TAU and thus have unique uses. If you would play TAU army like SM army then you can't win much games.

These wehicles are usefull but as everything in TAU arme te tend to work good as part of the army and not as independent gunships.
And finally they are really nice models, which make your army look much better.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 01:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I really don't like either of them. There, I said it. If I want forgeworld models, I already have the barracuda...
Old 02 Mar 2005, 11:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jonathan

Its good point in the first game was it was only a 1000pts. and as i was playing against orks thehad only 2 zap guns and they didn't fire at the pirahna as it was only 50 pts. instead tey shoot at the HH so the piranha was free to do what it wanted to do and made around 400 pts. in dead orks
Old 02 Mar 2005, 15:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Certainly any unit that received no return fire would perform admirably...* but it was a good demonstration of what the Piranha is capable of, I suppose.