Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Size of Forgeworld Battle Suit Bases?
Old 07 Jun 2007, 08:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Size of Forgeworld Battle Suit Bases?

Hi all,

Having received my two Forge World XV88-2 Broadsides yesterday. I noticed that they came with the wrong sized bases. Now, I'm quite sure that this isn't an accident, but my Question is: Why?
Why do Forge world Supply them with the larger bases. As far as I am aware this makes them illegal for tournaments. Is this true?

Any help at all is much appreciated,
Matthew
Old 07 Jun 2007, 08:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti
Default Re: Size of Forgeworld Battle Suit Bases?

There was a brief disscusion on this a while back, and as far as anyone knows, they use those bases because they look better when the model is fully painted and based. Note that it is not illegal to use a base larger than what the model comes with, but rather that it is illegal to use a smaller base (BBB, pg 6, "Bases").

General consensus is that it's okay to mount Forge World models on 40mm bases despite this, since that is what all other crisis suits come with, and most people jsut use them to represent these.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 10:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
The Forgeworld models come with larger bases to give hobbyist more opportunity for dynamic modeling, converting and posing.
There is nothing wrong with using a 40mm base either, it's just a bit bland. (and ruleslawyers get a dreadsock for saying it needs to be on a larger base)

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 10:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO KVor

Hi brettonian4

I raised this very same question here not too long ago....check it out: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=46528.0
ShasO KVor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 11:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

For tourney's, unless explicitly stated, there's usually no problem in mounting a model on a larger base. Check the rules first obviously...

At the moment I don't feel the XV25s 'fit' on a 25mm base.. so I just bought a pack of 40mm bases. Looking a lot better already.
Old 07 Jun 2007, 14:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Check out p.6 of the main rulebook. Models are allowed to be mounted on larger bases, but not on smaller ones. The base a model comes with is to be considered the minimum legal size base. Therefore, there's nothing wrong with mounting an XV8 or XV88 on the larger monster base. Of course it does make it easier to assault you, more difficult for you to hide behind terrain, and allow your opponent to fit more models in base to base with you in close combat.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 14:36   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I mounted my XV89 commander suit on an actual dread base, as I thought it looked cool.

Upshot was, he looks cool, and has died 3 times as a result of the larger base.

But he looks cool, so its ok

As said, there is nothing wrong with putting your forgeworld suits on the 40mm base, and anyone telling you otherwise needs a serious dreadsock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote