Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tournament Army For Games Day
Closed Thread
Old 24 Feb 2005, 03:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tournament Army For Games Day

This Saturday I'm playing in a semifinal for a tournament series that could get me an all expense paid trip to Games Day in Los Angles for a chance to compete against some of the finest smelly nerds in the country. I've seen the roster, 16 players, 12 Marine and Chaos, 2 Guard, 1 Necron, and little old me playing Mech Tau.

In my tournament last weekent I did great against Marines until I got stuck up against those Death Company Philistines. I learned my lesson though and am confident in my ability against a fast Marine army. What I need are suggestions as to small tweeks I can make to my army and possibly strategy ideas. My typical strategies can be read in this battle report

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=4798.0

Here's the list.

HQ
Shas’El - MP PL MT
Elites
Crisis Team x2 – MP PL MT
Crisis Team x2 – FB PL MT
Stealth Team x6
Troops
Fire Warriors x10
Devilfish – Decoy Launchers
Fire Warriors x10
Fast Attack
Pathfinders x7 – RR3
Heavy Support
Broadsides x1 – SMS MT1
Hammerhead – RG SMS Decoy Launchers Multi Tracker
Hammerhead – IC BC Decoy Launchers Multi Tracker
1500 - points

Questions, comments, wanna compliment me on my new haircut?
Old 24 Feb 2005, 03:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: Tournament Army For Games Day

looks good. why not fleche discharger to take out sone enemy troops and such before dropping off your boys? (it works as a last resort type thing...but it works!)

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 03:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Are you going to be deepstriking those fusion blaster crisis? If their purpose is to be all-round, they're good. If its to deepstrike, you might want to t-link the fusion guns and put a target lock on one.

Excellent list! Compliments all round, especially the haircut!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 04:07   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
Are you going to be deepstriking those fusion blaster crisis? If their purpose is to be all-round, they're good. If its to deepstrike, you might want to t-link the fusion guns and put a target lock on one.

Excellent list! Compliments all round, especially the haircut!
Deep striking is the plan but I went for the Plasma combo because some tournament missions don't allow Deepstrike and in such a situation the team would lose a lot of its effectiveness if they were Twin Linked Fusion. A Plasma/Fusion combo is great against Terminators and Marines if they have to go on foot.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 04:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I see now, and yes, that will be much more effective when deep strike is not allowed at punishing marines and tanks.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 07:43   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Considering the % of marine/powered armour+ your likely to face, whats the main reason behind X15's and burst cannons? Just interested as I'm new to Tau and haven't really considered these guys as a must have against the plague of SM armies here. Care to share your experiences?

Anyways it seems your going there with the right attitude....best of luck.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 10:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm not James but I will at least chip in my thoughts on that question:
* You can't tailor your army to face SMs for tournaments, even if the odds are that 1/2 your opponents will be SMs for a couple reasons:
1) If you end up going up against hordes by the luck of the draw you've got a very poorly performing list. So a little balance is always good.
2) Even if you only go up against SMs, you're liable to get docked on sportsmanship/selection scores if you're running around with a pure AP3 or better army.
3) The varied units helps people judge you more favorably for selection, no matter who you face, and that equates to finishing higher in the rankings.
* Stealth suits offer some distinct advantages even against SMs & chaos SMS. Their high mobility and relatively high volume of fire lets you harass opponents. Throw in infiltration and you end up with a unit that can misdirect part of an opponent away from your main lines. E.g., you can run frenzied units around in a circle or head them back towards their own deployment zone. You can also use these units to move in fast & threaten enemy IDF vehicles.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 10:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion

Heh i just won a tourney like that last weekend seeming enough i got very lucky when i used my 1500 De list instead of my chaos i thought it was gonna be a 1k game but turned out to be a 1500.

Anyways i won the tourney for a very simply reason

It was night fight and i was the attacker. I managed to butcher a tau army that made the final heat with me.

Tau has a hard time with nightfight and i notice that you will also have trouble with nightfight.

Basically its something that your gonna have to prepare 4 i was taken out early at my 1st games day because of it. So i suggest fixing this problem

Also i believe your troops are to light and i'd add another squad of foot.
Now you need to trust me on this and misdirection is the key to victory if you have a unit of fw and mabe a boradside and crisis in 1 place the enemy see's this as your core and will always try to weaken your army b4 going after the core. Unless your fighting DE in which case look at his army as think where he's gonna go.

Use irrational moves like not shooting and moving your unit up 4 1/2 inches the enemy usually try to keep out of range and misjudge.

Always move your units in 1/2 inches say 5.5 inches 90% of all my opponents never consider this they believe that ok i hit him with that lascannon just barly he was 48'' away now i can advance my sm 6'' and blast away seeing as he'll only be 18'' away now.

BAM 1/2 an inch off GOD **** IT MOTHER ******

This is how you will go far man and i hope to see u at games day.

As for the nerds man i know and they seriously need deoderant.
We'll i'm a Line Backer so i guess i do to but there is a difference..... there is a difference.

Woah Desha Vau (anyone know how to spell this? i'm thinking there is a J owell its late and my this isnt a term paper)

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 24 Feb 2005, 16:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Orion raises a very good point about night fight although if they're using the same scenarios as this year's GTs there is only one night fight scenario and it only spans turns 4-6. However, with any missions involving Gamma or Omega rules you could get hit with a dusk and/or dawn condition. Blacksun filters are probably worth it for your long range stuff.

As for the 1/2" movement trick, that's a trick I've used in WHFB a lot: Instead of setting up on the edge of your deployment zone (say 12" deployment) you set up at 11". A lot of people set up at 12" and then figure they've got exactly 24" between themselves and the enemy unit right in front of them. It's a good way to get people to fail charges with big blocks.

In 40k, it's less critical but definitely helpful. I often use the deployment method to throw off CC oriented armies. However, it's a lot less successful b/c virtually every unit can shoot and that's when the measurement tape comes out. So you can fool people once but only someone extremely dumb falls for the tactic more than once.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 06:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion
Use irrational moves like not shooting and moving your unit up 4 1/2 inches the enemy usually try to keep out of range and misjudge.

Always move your units in 1/2 inches say 5.5 inches 90% of all my opponents never consider this they believe that ok i hit him with that lascannon just barly he was 48'' away now i can advance my sm 6'' and blast away seeing as he'll only be 18'' away now.

BAM 1/2 an inch off GOD **** IT MOTHER ******
irrational moves end up making the most sence any way...and i am the king of irrationality!

deja vu is the proper spelling, buddy

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Closed Thread