Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactics against dark eldar
Old 06 Jun 2007, 15:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall
Default Tactics against dark eldar

Well on saturday i shall be playing my first game against the dark kin.

the game should be 1500pts (depending on if GW gets our stores order in before then) otherwise it will be 1200 most likely.

we have agreed to play a meat grinder scenario and apparently its a DE special rule or something that they are always the attacker. So basically my strategy will be to just stay mobile as if i have even one unit remaining at the end i win.

But as i'm not really familiar with DE i was wondering what are the units i should look out for, what my target priorities should be etc.

As i understand apparently they are more mobile than tau, can be just as shooty (or moreso) and can still mince a lot of armies in CC. so it seems that they are just superior in general and this is quite intimidating. also my opponent has been wargaming for as long as i've been alive. if not longer. so thats also fairly intimidating.

I have a feeling i can win. i would just like to get a better understanding of exactly what i'm up against.

and i'm not sure exactly what his list is. all i know is that he will have at least 2 ravagers, 2 units of warriors and about 4 jetbikes
Old 06 Jun 2007, 16:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tactics against dark eldar

Dark eldar are fast, shooty and deadly in combat.

What they AREN'T is tough.

Dark Eldar transports are made of paper mache. Dark eldar warriors and whyches are basically naked when shot at.

I would suggest taking a lot of smart missile systems. Keep them out of line of sight and blast apart units that can't see you. Mech heavy with lots of crisis suits would work well. Missile pods are key here.

A few forward units of kroot are a great distraction/speedbump.

Hang back, don't let him see you and take out fast moving assaulter's first. Once they're down deal with brightlance wielding menaces. Use skimmer walls to block or slow down assault units before they reach your suits and don't deploy fire warriors unless they can annihilate anything within assault range.

Keep in mind Dark Eldar assault troops in a transport have a terrifyingly far charge range.

12" for the skimmer + 2" for disembarkment + D6" for fleet + 6" for assault move gives them a minimum charge of 21" and a maximum of 26" That means a first turn charge is totally possible. So be careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 20:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Falstead, you can't move if the transport you're on has moved. The transport can move 12", they get 2" deploy and then a 6" charge for 20" max... that this isn't devastating, but it's manageable.

InsanitysFall, I also think that you should take as many SMS's as you can get your hands on. They are by far the best weapon for the Dark Eldar. If you have a Ion Cannon and a Railcannon Hammerhead, I would take the Ion Cannon. The Ion Cannon is just to deal with the Archon and her Incubi retinue. If the Archon hits your ranks... run EVERY unengaged unit away as fast as possible... then Rapid fire them to hell and gone.

Now if you have 3 broadsides with SMS, take the Advanced Stabilization system and you have a unit that can pop 12 SMS shots a turn. They can also in the beginning, use their railguns to pop transports like nobody's business.

Your fire Warriors are going to eat the Dark Eldar warriors for lunch... if you can keep them at range.
Old 06 Jun 2007, 20:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I only played against Dark Eldar once, in a 1000 point game during a tournament. I had first turn, and felt bad for him. He had four transports loaded with troops, and his leader on a jetbike. My Ionhead and MP wielding XV8's made mince meat out of the transports. By the end of the game he had none left. The submunition shot is devastating, and I took out an entire squad in one shot, after they were forced to disembark their destroyed transport.

You have to hit them fast and hard. If any of their troops make it across the board, they will kill whatever they reach. One of his squads made it through and killed everything on the left flank. One Warfish, ten fire warriors, and two XV8s.

I would advise against broadsides though. If you don't take out every transport they will in hand to hand by the second round, and dead.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKitsune
Falstead, you can't move if the transport you're on has moved. The transport can move 12", they get 2" deploy and then a 6" charge for 20" max... that this isn't devastating, but it's manageable.
Indeed you can't. I never factored that into the distances I posted. I factored in the vehicles move, the disembankment distance and the fleet roll as well as the charge distance.

It gives a total between 21 and 26 inches. Very very fast and terrifying.

Ion cannons and devilfish are definitely your friends in this game. Broadsides are a poor choice for SMS carries since they will get off one round of shooting and then probably be charged (and butchered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 00:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

It is also helpful to keep them at arms reach so bring alot of Deathrains to reach out and touch them.

I don't know if Sniper Drones are effective but they might be able to take out some heavier units.

Also leave the heavy guns at home like railguns and fusion blasters. Pack lots of pusle fire as every skimmer they have can be taken down by pulse fire. Also Ions will help to slaughter loads of them.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 01:33   #7 (permalink)
lonely tau

Coming from a former Dark Eldar player...

The first things you should look out for are the transports and the Ravagers. Ravagers have the ability to take 2 Brightlances and a Disentigrator, which can be very deadly weapons when used agaisnt vehicles, espcially yours.

The main tips from me are to keep moving, and if something is assaulted maintain a good distance from it. Another dirty trick is to take out that specific transport with the unit, and move away from the squad where one of two things will happen. The squad becomes a little underpowered from close combat but otherwise owns, or the squad will get off scot-free and have no transport to get them back into the game.

Missile Pods and Burst Cannons on Crisis Suits and Ion Cannons on your Hammerheads will also be devastating, but make sure you have Burst Cannons for the amount of shots with them. Remember the old mis-saying, quantity over quality.

Another thing to look at is Wych squads with a Goblet of Spite, because with haywire grenades they will seriously rip apart a Mechanized army.

And, the maximum charge range for a Character (or Wyches, for that matter) is 32" if he takes Combat drugs and uses the 12" assault move.
Old 07 Jun 2007, 02:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Like people have said, put SMS on every vehicle you can. They are devestating against DE vehicles. Especially if you go first. Then you can move all your vehicles up and shoot over the cover he hides his stuff behind. His assault ranges are useless if he has nothing to assault. Keep your fire warriors in the devilfishes until theycan safely come out. Missil Pod crisis suits (fireknives or death rains are great) should hang back as far as possible and plink his transports. Have at least 1 railhead. Not for the solid shot but eh submunition. One shot will devestate his squads. Especially if a transporet just got popped and all the squishys inside are crowded withing 2" of it. The darklances do suck...you just gotta take it like a Tau. Never leave you crisis within LOS of those lances...its a huge mistake. The only thing i really fear about DE is their portals. They can have a vehicle with a whych squad pop out of a portal and then the squad can unload and assault that turn so effectively you get no chance to shoot at it. Make sure your saty the hell away from his portals until all his stuff comes out of them. Do not deploy your fire warriors until those portal squads are toast (if he has any) GL...Tau can own DE pretty hard, you just have to keep them at an arms reach.

C/-Rt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 03:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Like everyone said, SMS is great. Stealth Tau is always fun.

Sub-munitions is another great thing because all the DE transports are AV 10 and open topped(two hits for one hit). If i remember right, most units are T3 with a 5+ save, so pulse rifles eat them alive.

Big thing though is take out all the vehicles, since in a meat grinder only the troop choices themselves(not them and the vehicles) come back. So if you can keep them 30 inches away they will never be a threat.

Their leader can have a 2+ invulnerable, but if he fails it once he's lost it.

Sniper teams could be useful since I think they don't have a lot of Fearless units, or stupid high leadership, plus they can take out transports fairly easy and are harder to assault/shoot.
Old 07 Jun 2007, 03:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

A huuuuge unit of kroot is good. Not to melee them, but to shoot them up, and act as a meatshield far out of massacre range to shield your other squishies.

Rejoice though, because literally everything you own can take down those AV10 open topped skimmers so necessary for that movement. Terrain will mean everything, skimmers are definitely your friend, and in general, deploy your stuff well apart from each other to prevent awkward massacres(you will die horrifically badly in melee, regardless of shield drones or whatever), and always remember that while he is horribly mobile, at long range, you utterly dominate him.

Actually, open topped does +1 on damage roll for hits with normal weapons.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote