Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Useing Catachan Jungle Fighters as Kroot stand ins?
Old 06 Jun 2007, 07:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Useing Catachan Jungle Fighters as Kroot stand ins?

My friend and I are starting out in 40K, with him as Space Marines and me as Tau. I have slowly been getting good deals off of Ebay and so I have 3 Crisis suits, 3 Xv-15 stealth suits, a Devilfish, 5 Path Finders with Rail rifles (probably will convert the rail rifles in to sniper drones but that is for a later post) and 32 fire warriors. I was musing over some army lists and decided that some kroot or a Skyray kit would probably be my next purchase I would look into.
While thinking of the fluff of my army, which is a water caste's guard, and I was wondering if it would be acceptable among most players if I used Catachan Jungle Fighters as stand ins for the kroot. This is explained fluff wise for my army in that the Catachans are humans that already joined up with the Tau and are with the Water Caste diplomat to explain to others how the tau have helped them. They are good at jungle fighting and I could probably easily convert them to be more "tau-ish". I also wanted to try my hands at painting some humans that I could actually use in my army along with the fact that the Catachans come in a box of 20 while the kroot only in a box of 16.

So if you didn't read all that would be reasonable to use Catachan Jungle Fighters to count as kroot?
zannal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 09:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Useing Catachan Jungle Fighters as Kroot stand ins?

I for one would have no problems with it. The Catachans are, as you know, great jungle fighters which would explain the fieldcraft rules (v. similar to the Deathworld Veterans rules), they already have WS 4 as opposed to regular guardsmen, and the S4 can be sort of explained away by the fact that they're huge bastards (baby ogryns!), something which is sadly not represented all that well in the Catachans Codex.

Alternatively, if you and your friend don't mind bending the rules a little, you could just use the Catachans straight from the Codex (you can download it for free from the GW site, BTW - there's a link in the IG board) as allies for your Tau, perhaps taking say a platoon of them.

Have fun.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 12:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would not object either, just as long as you stated it prior to the game. But I personally just use them as Gue'vesa. A lot easier really, and no one can complain.
Old 06 Jun 2007, 14:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, they could if they're a fluff nazi - Chapter Approved stuff like Gue'vesa is in a bit of a rules grey area right now, especially what with them not being put into the newer Codex.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote