Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Setting up a large-scale army list for a campaign
Old 06 Jun 2007, 06:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Setting up a large-scale army list for a campaign

Hi, I don't know how to post this, so I give it a shot here.

I'm starting to plan a big campain involving many races. The story evolve around a baren world classified as non strategic for colonisation wich turned out to host a portal of unknown origin. It was later discovered by a Tau exploration fleet when the portal activated. The Tau fleet went to investigate and landed some troops and scientifics to investigate. A few months laters, the portal was still a mystery and an Eldar fleet was detected, a few days away, making a rapid aproach for the planet and not responding to hails.

Later, others investigating fleets of other races will make such an aproach, resulting in a conflict on the now reinforced and occupied desertic planet.

I want to make an army list representing a large combat force. The problem is, I only have about 1000 points worth of model, wich consist of a battle force, a full pathfinder team and a Hammerhead. I want to represent a large army, but take into account that I'm limited with what I can actually put on the table.

I'm thinking about doing respawns to represent reinforcements when a unit is eliminated. But that won't cut it every time.

How should I build this list and play with it?

Ah, I alsmost forgot, the campain will be played as a map based campain with nodes in overlay, basically a node campain taking the terrain underneath into account.

The campain can be found here (In french): http://www.campagnewh40k.canalblog.com/
Old 06 Jun 2007, 21:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Setting up a large scare army list for a campain

You really just need more models. If you have IG or kroot, obviously, you can add them as minions of the tau, but there really is no easy way to make a thousand points of models seem like ten.

If there were, none of us would buy nearly so many of them.

However, using stuff like spare bits to make terrain...say, a guard shack with a rack full of spare pulse carbines, will give your campaign much more of a "the tau army lives here" sort of feel.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 21:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Setting up a large scare army list for a campain

I'm thinking of building the large army list, similar to the one found in IA vol3 for the Taros campain, but distribute the forces in several key location in the campain map to allow for gamable number of models. I made the campain story to accomodate a smaller than usual force list, as this was not supposed to be a normal armed engagement, just a security detail to investigate a planetary anomaly. The other races are comming with the same thing in mind.