Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

<Alpha Strike> Seeker Missile Styles
Old 06 Jun 2007, 00:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default <Alpha Strike> Seeker Missile Styles

I have often wondered about the plausibility of a seeker missile Alpha Strike. The way I see it Seekers are designed to be just this type of weapon. Attaching them to Parana and the like does have its merits ... But what about 10 seekers all let off in the first turn at Juicy targets. Sure they might be slightly over priced ( according too some people ) but the psychological effect might well be worth it, as your opponent sees a good majority of his vehicles / big bugs go "Poof" in the first turn. Just my initial thinking :

2 Parana each with 2 seekers = 4 Seekers
3 Hammerheads Each with 1 Seeker = 3 Seekers
4 DF each with 1 Seeker = 4 Seekers

Thats 11 Seeker Missiles on the first turn! Assuming there is LOS ...

Add into this mix the Railguns and you end up with damaged or destroyed enemy Vehicles or Big Bugs, all after turn one ! Yes it does cost 110pts and I know this is a one trick pony but the results may well be worth it. Your thoughts ?
Old 06 Jun 2007, 00:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: <Alpha Strike> Seeker Missle Styles

Could be worth the points for it. I mean the points for a seeker missle is less than that of a necron and can instakill that guy. Worth the points? I think they could help an army under the right conditions. Im thinking about playing a Skyray for this reason, and the mobile markerlights
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 00:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

The biggest problem with this is the markerlights. You&#39;re going to need 11 markerlight hits in order to launch all those missiles, which means you&#39;ll need LOS and range with either 2 squads of pathfinders or a ton of buried markerlights and drones.

If I were to use this tactic, I&#39;d replace one of the hammerheads with a skyray. 5 additional missiles, plus all the equipment to launch them, and you can use it to annoy enemies with either burst cannons or SMS.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 00:53   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I agree with Kiznti, the problem is the cost to field the markerlights it will take to launch that many missles. I certainly like the thought of a few missles to balance the odds and take down some opportune heavies, but it&#39;s likely that you will never get a chance to fire off even half your missles unless you field at least 6 markerlights, and that is certainly more expensive than 110 points.
ShasoStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 00:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Well, I honestly could use the points somewhere else, and see this setup as extremely inefficient.

The missiles, vehicles (assuming the hammerheads have ion cannons and burst cannons -the cheapest option), and firewarriors/pathfinders required for the Devilfish come up to 1211 points, and this isn&#39;t even a legal list so far! Note that this list has 8 markerlights.

You could actually get MORE seekers at a cheaper price by doing something like this:
2x Skyray
2x Pathfinder Squads, including Devilfish w/no seekers.

This list has one more seeker and has two more (10 total) markerlights, but is a whopping 685 points cheaper!
From my view, your list of it is aimed at spacing out the seekers. This is fine and all, but with the 2nd one so just over half price while still packing MORE firepower, I would sacrifice the spacing.

Here&#39;s an example of how much more you could get out of the 1211 points of the original list:

3x Skyray
3x Pathfinder team w/ Devilfish, 2x seeker per &#39;fish
2x Firewarrior teams, Devilfish w/ 2x seekers each, Shas&#39;ui w/ markerlight

The list is 13 more points, but it&#39;s worth it in my opinion.
This list has a whopping 28 seeker missiles, with 20 markerlights to fire them off, with six of those markerlights firing at bs4. It&#39;s still illegal (doesn&#39;t include a commander), but it&#39;s a much more efficient way to perform a more effective Alpha Strike. It&#39;s also got only one less vehicle than the original setup.

Come to think of it, if I had the vehicles, I would probably try this list in a 1500 point game , just for
fun..

Well, back on topic!
For one thing, you&#39;ll also need 11 markerlights in your list to fire them all off at once, and that&#39;s assuming they all hit.

There&#39;s also the little hitch about firing missiles at targets worth less than the missile. In my case, I&#39;m not always going to face armies with lots of targets worth firing at.

To remedy this, two Skyrays and a Hammerhead can mount up to 14 seekers, at a cheaper total price

Admittedly, spamming seekers can be fun! For instance, last game, I still had a markerlight on a lone guardsman, and the game was nearly over (in my favor). So, being bored, I decided to kill an 8 point (carapace armor) guardsman with a 10 point missile. It&#39;s funny, because the missile itself was bigger than he was.

That being said, I usually take one or two seekers in my list (mounted on my ever-present hammerhead), and they&#39;re usually helpful, especially if I realize that I forgot to use one of my markerlights once everyone else has fired.
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a well-constructed sentence is worth a thousand pictures" -Use spell check, it&#39;s there for a reason.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 00:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO Venom

i use seekers against APC or volly a load in to a on coming unit. i find them very effective. My opponents dont know what hits them.
i use seekers all the time every tank in my army gets two regardless of the points of the game.

you do not need a LOS to use a seeker either.

Venom!!
(¸.•´ (¸.• Shas&#39;O Venom•´
(¸.• (¸.•
ShasO Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 01:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You dont have to shoot a markerlight to launch a seeker do you? I was under the impression that you could request a seeker missle via a markerlight at BS5. Am I missing something?
Old 06 Jun 2007, 01:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEskimo
You dont have to shoot a markerlight to launch a seeker do you? I was under the impression that you could request a seeker missle via a markerlight at BS5. Am I missing something?
A Seeker Missile is fired by spending a successful markerlight hit on a target. You roll for the markerlight first. So, it could be said that seekers will always fire at BS5 (mainly because they.. well.. do.), because they are only fired at a successful markerlight hit.

Once you declare that you are expending the counter to fire the seeker, you then roll for the seeker itself to hit. If the seeker itself hits, you then roll to wound/roll for AP, etc, as normal. If the seeker misses, it misses and is still counted as used.

The exact rules for seeker missiles can be found on pages 29 and 31 of the Tau Empire codex, although I can somewhat see how you would be confused. The description on page 31 almost seems to imply that an actual markerlight hit isn&#39;t required to launch a seeker, which is incorrect. I would go by the rules on page 29 if someone were to ask you how they work.
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a well-constructed sentence is worth a thousand pictures" -Use spell check, it&#39;s there for a reason.

Old 06 Jun 2007, 01:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My codex is currently MIA but isnt their something that says the tank can launch it itself under the Tau Tank Armory?
Old 06 Jun 2007, 01:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEskimo
My codex is currently MIA but isnt their something that says the tank can launch it itself under the Tau Tank Armory?
No, there isn&#39;t

There&#39;s actually a sentence on page 31 saying that the seeker mechanism is seperate and "only responds to markerlight users."