Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can you help me?
Closed Thread
Old 23 Feb 2005, 21:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Can you help me?

Hey i need some advice. This weekend my pathetic band-o-tau are gonna tangle wit some space wolves in a 1000-1500ish point match. Every time i face this army however, i get "owned". I got a enclave army with 2 squads of fire warriors, farsight wiht a full bodyguard, another crisis as an hq wiht a full bodyguard, a squad of stealth suits, some pathfinders, one devilfish, on hammerhead, one broadside, and a few of auxiliries. Why does he always school me? I focus on his hq/bike squad forst then aim for his rhinos.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 21:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Can you help me?

Target more units? ??? If you are aiming for his hq/bike squadron first, then you are falling into his trap! Here is a list of shooting priorities that should help:

1) If it can assult you in the 2nd to 3rd trun, it is targetted first
2) If it can lay down firepower, it is next
3) If it can move around effeciently, next up!
4) If it is slogging through the mud, ignore!

P.S. What tactics does the Space Wolves use? That way we will be able to help you out more!
Old 23 Feb 2005, 21:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You need to give us a better idea of what kind of SW army he's running. HQ bike/rhino doesn't tell us much although it sounds like old school SW rhino-rush which you should be able to handle.

How are you configuring your crisis suits?

To start your list looks very top heavy for a 1500 pt list. Farsight? He's a point sink in that small of an army IMO, and definitely at the 1000 pt level. This goes doubly against SWs. Why not go with an ordinary 'el and then take a few crisis suit teams? I'd also forget the pathfinders, mount up the FWs in the devilfish (take 2 if you've got them) and add more FWs.

It's much better if you post a list for people to critique rather than asking people to build you an army.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 01:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I think the problem is twofold, First 2 HQ's one has to go. spend it on some fireknife crisis, second, swap the Auxilliaries for a HH if you can, or FW if you cant grab up a HH, they HH's should be rhino opening frm T1 and then he only has the bike squad thats mobile from what you've said, not a big threat if you have 2 crissi teams and O shovah to plasma them, oh and dont assault the bikers and HQ w/ o'shovah, he's hard but not that hard :P .
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 24 Feb 2005, 21:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i remeber this kinda thing from a white dwarf issue, the person said to aim at all the closest infantry like the marines blow them to smithereens and then blow up the other people, it worked with me so it might work with you.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 02:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

If you're going like that, hit the mobile stuff first (jetpack troops, rhinos, etc) and focus your firepower! don't spread the destruction around, target one squad till it's dead!
Old 25 Feb 2005, 03:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Biggest piece of advice: Focus Fire.

As Khaldun stated, just focus on something until it's gone. Then move on. Always bust the fastest biggest threat. That could be bikes and transports. Stop those and you can freely exchange long range punch with your enemy--something you're generally better at as you can do it and hide afterwards.

If you have a choice between bikes and transports, I'd have to say to target transports first. Stop the vehicles that can carry a full squad of combat doom to you. Bikes are mean, but still only have 3+ saves which means your pulse rifles are still plenty effective--don't waste your valuable missile pods and plasma shots on them. Bust those rhinos, anything that can't bust a rhino, should be turned on those bikes. After that, it's a matter of picking a choosing the next threat tier.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 03:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

actually, because bikes are t5, I like to target them with the plasma/missile pod stuff because pulse rifles more easily wound the basic marine, but only on a 4+ for bikes.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 07:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

but there wont be as many bikes
AUTHORITARIAN OPPRESSION, FAMILY ABUSE, DEPRESSION CAUSED BY CONFORMALITY AND ECONOMIC DEVISTATION WILL REIGHN. HUNGRY CHILDREN WILL NOT SPARE THE GROCER. REMORSE IN ALL FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM HUMAN THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS FREEDOM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH REVOLUTION OR DEATH. THIS SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS UNAVOIDABLE AS LIFE ON THIS PLANET BECOMES UNNECASSARY. WE HAVE THE POWER TO REVERSE THE TIDES OF TIME BY MAKING OUR AWARENESS OF ABUSE KNOWN TO THE POWERS OF INDUSTRY AND THEIR UNCOUTH POLITICAL ARMS. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. OPEN YOUR EYES. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS. CLOSE YOUR HANDS AND MAKE A FIST!
Old 25 Feb 2005, 08:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think a lot depends on what the bikers are being used for. If they're tooled up for CC (like many SW bikers are) and include a PF or PW amongst them, they need to go first b/c otherwise they will tie up your FWs and prevent them from firing and/or provide a CC screen to block LoS. If OTOH the bikers are simply a bunch of SMs with TL'd bolters and maybe a melta gun, they're much lower priority compared to the hordes of blood claws that are probably in those rhinos.

If you have a balanced force I would probably first open up with all of my FWs and suits on the bikers and then use the big stuff to clean up any stragglers or pop the rhinos. With bikers they generally have small unit sizes and so you don't need to wipe them out to reduce their effectiveness: Your first goal is to knock them below 50% and then reassess if they're still a threat (shooting-oriented not likely, assault-oriented probably) before deciding if they need another few units' worth of "love."

As others have said, the key to success with any shooting army is focused fire: You need to wipe out whole units (especially with SMs) to earn your VPs, to take out the heavy/special weapons, and to ensure they won't be coming back. The worst thing you can do is to fire on 6 different units in a turn.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Closed Thread