Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Special Characters
Old 01 Jun 2007, 15:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau Special Characters

A lot of people complain about the Space Pope and O'Shovah's restrictions.

What are you ideas for new Tau Special Characters?

Here are mine:

An Ethereal with Jetpack and Crisis Bodyguards (like you see in the Codex.)

Commander in a Hammerhead

A Tau Sniper character (like the Imperial Vindicare Assassin)

Ethereal Council (like an Eldar Farseer with Warlocks)

Kroot Assassin or Maybe a Vespid Special Character (could count as Elite Choice)
Old 01 Jun 2007, 15:56   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Tau Special Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursivecoin
Here are mine:

An Ethereal with Jetpack and Crisis Bodyguards (like you see in the Codex.)

Commander in a Hammerhead

A Tau Sniper character (like the Imperial Vindicare Assassin)

Kroot Assassin or Maybe a Vespid Special Character (could count as Elite Choice)
A Kroot special Character would be nice, and any Vespid background beyond what we have would be great. But I am not sure about the others. Tau already use drones for sniping, so I am not sure anything on the lines of a Vindicare is really appropriate. Same thing with the Ethereal Council. Unlike Warlocks and Farseers, Ethereals are not really meant to do anything on the battlefield. It would take a significant reenvisioning before a group of them would be any more effective than just one.

Not sure about Characters in vehicles. It basically just makes it a BS5 Hammerhead that goes in HQ. All I can see it doing is causing more whining about lists with four Hammerheads.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2007, 16:49   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Aias Send a message via MSN to Aias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Not sure about Characters in vehicles. It basically just makes it a BS5 Hammerhead that goes in HQ. All I can see it doing is causing more whining about lists with four Hammerheads.
True. I already get enough complaints when fielding lists with 3 Hammerheads and 3 Warfish.

On topic, though, having some more characters would be interesting. Representatives of the other races would add some much-needed fleshing out, especially for the Vespids, while having some other characters fulfilling roles other than just that of commander would also prove interesting.

Shepard Book once told me, "Can't do something smart, do something right."
Aias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2007, 16:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursivecoin

haha i had this idea about 2 years ago.
it would of been fire warrior bodyguard only Veterans and its now in the new dex so this one all ready exists.
The Kroot have a character already Angor Prok.

Venom!!
(¸.• (¸.•
ShasO Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2007, 17:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker

A Shas'vre without combat armor, fighting alongside FW.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2007, 18:03   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Baker
A Shas'vre without combat armor, fighting alongside FW.
I really like this idea, although I assume you mean a Battlesuit when you say "combat armor". I like Crisis suits and all, but it doesn't really make sense that the Tau would have no high-ranking infantry officers dedicated to command rather than combat.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2007, 18:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I'd like to see Aun'shi back, with a Jetpack option and a crisis bodyguard. Ankhor Prok would also be a great addition and we could do without Aun Va.

I would also like to see a Kais special character, on foot, two wounds, BS4 and armed with a Rail Rifle and perhaps the IC and Slow and Purposeful special rules.

Lastly I think there should be a Farsight Enclave Commander option/character thing. Who uses most of the rules that Farsight has to represent an army from the Enclaves, but does not have to include Farsight and with no points restriction. That would allow people to more easily and accurately use a Farsight Enclave army.

And Khanaris I think what he meant was a Shas'vre officer on foot, not in a battlesuit, combat armor being standard 4+ Tau armor, fighting on foot instead of in a battlesuit, as an officer for very small games or a simple secondary commander.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2007, 18:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

For the record O'Shovah wouldn't be that bad if they also gave him some units...you know, to make up for the limitations. :
That and no way he'd live for roughly 200-300 years, so how about some of the other "Farsights" that the suit has been passed down through? And I think Aun'Shi should be a Farsight leader(he is there afterall...)

As for the leaders for the TE:
I dunno. Maybe a Vehicular Commander, one in a light XV/on foot(would probably have rulings similar to the Ethereal, but no death clause.

Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2007, 18:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would prefer an HQ choice in a vanilla XV-22 battlesuit with customizable options. Lets face it folks, the only reason why Shadowsun is not universally loved is because her weapons loadout is weak.

Make shadowsun's suit an open template like the crisis commanders, keep the drones, shield generator and stealth field, but let us hook her up with a stealth squad, change her weapons, anything! stealth suits need a flamer!

A fire warrior or pathfinder special character would also be loved!
Old 01 Jun 2007, 19:02   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If mem serves, there was a Kais character in a Chapter Approved shortly after the game came out. Standard firewarrior stat-line, upgraded weapon (forget all the specifics but it was assault 2, he'd done some tinkering). Nice, but limited.

I like the idea of a customizable loadout for an Xv-22. The suit's an experimental design per fluff, but they let THQ use it as the baseline in Dark Crusade. The firepower it cranked out there once fully loaded was... inspiring, but also unable to be accurately represented on tabletop. On an unrelated note: I wish we had something like the adamantine mantle for our commanders. I get tired of getting popped by a lascannon from full health when I fail my Invuln save.

Other than that, I'd like to see a Vespid character to round out their fluff. As someone said, we've got Anghor Prok for Kroot. The space pope is probably GW's attempt at our version of the Farseer Council. O'Shovah and Shadowsun were pretty much strung together to fit the two primary styles of the Tau (Mont'ka and Kauyon, respectively). And for those of you looking for a non-Crisis character, try to find Chapter Approved.... I think it was 04 or 05. That'll give you the rules for Kais.

-Sightline
Murphy's Laws of Combat Ops: Items which must be used together in the field cannot be shipped that way.
Sightline is offline   Reply With Quote