Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Crisis Suit Outfitting Options
Old 31 May 2007, 13:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Crisis Suit Outfitting Options

Hey guys, recently, I decided to use my codex's army as a loose guideline to make my own army. However, I noticed that it wants each of your Crisis XV8 Suits to use the Fusion Blaster/Flamer combo, swapping out 3rd party equipment between shield generator, multi tracker, and target lock (there are three suits). I was just wondering if this was the best idea, it doesn't seem like it gives you too much versatility within your XV8 team, so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

-Chrisness
Old 31 May 2007, 14:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Crisis Suit Outfitting Options

Sorry, WHAT are you trying to do?
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 14:43   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Well, from what I can gather, he is trying to make the exact same army as the one Gw have put inside the lsst page of the Tau Codex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 15:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

You can use any legal combination of gear you want on your suits!

I would stonrgly recommend AGAINST using fusion blaster and flamer. That's a very bad combo, they just used that because they liked how it looked.

A few good and easy to use combos are

Twin-linked missile pod and targeting array

Missile pod, plasma rifle and multi tracker

Fusion blaster, plasma rifle and multi tracker

Missile pod, burst cannon and multi tracker

Anyways, welcome to Tau Online, and good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 16:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I like MP/PR/SG for HQs. Also TL MP/AFP is very nice for those times that you need pie plates.
Old 31 May 2007, 17:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
I would stonrgly recommend AGAINST using fusion blaster and flamer. That's a very bad combo, they just used that because they liked how it looked.
I have to disagree with you Falstead. It is a good combo, but its HOW you use the unit, rather than the sheer 'kill factor' it has.

I run a suit along those lines (Shas'vre Team Leader Target Array, H/w Multitracker, Fusion Blaster and Flamer). The other unit in the squad (is a T/L Fusion Blaster, Target Lock) is used as my major AT unit. It is his job to bust the tanks while the Shas'vre can be used to back him up if its a tough nut to crack. The flamers main job is to PREVENT an opponent throwing a cheap unit into hand to hand combat with the suits knowing that they can be flamed.

Futhermore you can threaten more than one type of unit in the enemy's deployment zone. Ok I will admit the number of times I've fired the flamer I can count on two hands, but it only took that many times for the weapon to prove its worth to other players, so instead they try not to let me get close enough or make the same mistake twice of getting close to me.

The high speed of the XV-8 suits is also a boon allowing you to threaten vehicles very easily, and don't forget flamers negate cover, so they are better than a Burst Cannon in a tight fight.

However my second XV-8 team (now down to two models as well) is a twin Helios, one with H/w drones for extra dakka and a H/w Target Lock).

Although I have two commanders I only use one generally, who has an AFP and Missile Pod for weapons, then a Shield Generator, H/w Multitracker and drones.

(And stop bashing the loss of IC status, in game terms it doesn't mean a huge amount when you've got cover everywhere).

I say the other combos are good if your out to be a 'firepower' player, but I found that the made the Tau boring to play and it pissed off other players in my group (don't bash them).

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 20:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Flamers can certainly be very handy on a crisis suit. The shas'vre you described is a good example of how you can use a flamer in a practical manner. But as a general layout for a full team of suits I still say fusion/flamer is a terrible choice.

That said I always run a 2 man death rain squad, twin-linked missile pod, flamer - 94 points.

They cost almost nothing and are great. They annihilate vehicles, and infantry! Good fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 20:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Well, from what I can gather, he is trying to make the exact same army as the one Gw have put inside the lsst page of the Tau Codex.

I'm sorry, I didn't think my original post was so unclear (looking back on it, I'm not quite sure how you can interpret it this way, but that aside....). I am simply looking for Crisis Suit configurations that have worked particularly well in game situations. And by the way, Crisis Vyper, was that a sarcastic post, or am I missing something, because that comes across as very rude. And also, it's not on the first page, there is a list on the back and it clearly says "A good CORE army for BEGINNERS."

P.S. Falstead, KCKitsune and Genmotty, thanks for the input!
Old 31 May 2007, 20:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

army from pics, or army from suggested cadres, either was a pretty reasonable interpretation.

That said, using the reccomended army list and tactics from the codex will get you shot to all hell. Consider GW battle reports and tacticas, be they white dwarf or codex, to be generally worthless.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 20:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hey, I'm going by advice and pre-planning that I have been working on with a very nice staff member over at the Games Workshop store near my home. Can you just leave that be and discuss what the topic was made for? I didn't even have to include that part, I'm using it as a GUIDELINE, maybe you should look the word up? Drop it.