Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I've noticed a lacking in fluff
Old 30 May 2007, 04:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default I've noticed a lacking in fluff

that's right- i've noticed how the majority of conversations on this part of the site have more to do with tactics, whether or not to play tau or sell them off, ect... Not that this is a bad thing, but being a fluff enthusiast- i was hoping we could bring some fluff to discuss.

Now, some of you know how my computer crashed recently and how all the data is lost (needs 1600 dollars US to get the data back). that being said, many interesting and important elements of my fluff bible are lost- for the time being. So. That being said, I would like to start writing a new story, and it would be great if you fluff masters and new members could tell me what you think.

ahem- I would like to write a story about Farsight. Any of you who know me knows that I don't like to make assumptions by all the secrets and double possibilities that 40k has to offer. So, that being said, I would like to write the story from the point of view of a Shas'El who did not partake in the action on Arthas Moloch. There will be no talk of O'shovas possible corruption, or his point of view, merely that he is not present and commanding from closed doors.
So, a brief run-down of the beginnings of the story

-After an emergancy jump from fighting around Arthas Moloch the fleet finds itself deep in the Damocles Gulf.
-The fleet is sizeable, although elements of it are still missing due to the nature of the jump.
-there are no ethereals

What do you think? And what level of tech would Farsight be going without- think nonmilitary as well-?
Old 30 May 2007, 04:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: I've noticed a lacking in fluff

In all honesty, I imagine Farsight would have as much difficulty maintaining crisis suits as he would broadsides, skimmers, etc. Fluffwise, just say his group happened to be pretty crisis heavy, or some accident befel a large armored group, if you want to make it a bit more game like.

Also, Id say absolutely none of the new shiny weapons like rail rifles that have been invented since his departure, unless you have a proper reason for it.

I take a somewhat alternative viewpoint on tau fluff. The etherials are not exactly evil or anything, but...they firmly believe the ends justify the means. I can't imagine them taking this to inquisitor like lengths....yet, but as the tau empire grows, so will it's problems. Fluff about tau being unable to comprehend killing other tau is ridiculous to me. If they couldn't even comprehend it, why then would they fear so greatly the returning of the pre-etherial era?

I think of them as somewhat like human society, abeit with a somewhat more segregated and regimented lifestyle. Sense of community would be strong, crime would be quite rare, and likely to be dealt with efficiently. Farsight isn't corrupted by chaos...but he is isolated and embittered, feeling as if the tau empire failed him. His loyalty to his fellows though, persists, though his actual methods of acheiving goals vary widely from accepted tau practice. I imagine at least some level of contact, however sparse exists between the farsight enclave and the tau empire, however. After all, was not the old aun sent out to contact him? What happened then?

In all, I take a slightly more human approach to them than many, mostly because, well, it's hard to imagine them dealing with humans on equal terms otherwise.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 05:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

That's not a bad idea calmsword and sory about your computer.

As for technology I'd think Farsight (and those under his command) would be... efficient and functional even more so than the rest of Tau society, more spartan perhaps.

I don't think the lack of certain units is necessarily due to an increase in the number of crisis suits, but the difficulty in maintaining certain things. For instance while the battlesuit of a Broadside may be just as easy to maintain as a Crisis Suit, the Railguns and Smart Missile Systems may be harder to maintain. On top of that Farsight might well place more emphasis on maintaining the Crisis suits, perhaps there is no more difficulty in keeping them ship shape as other vehicles but with resources tight Farsight put more emphasis on keeping the crisis suits in working order than other things he might consider non-essential.

I'd expect non-military facilities wouldn't be overly extravagent and newer technologies wouldn't be in great suply. Farsight seems to have kept his forces on the move throughout the Damocles Gulf Crusade, so he probably didn't take the time to put his ships and troops into dock long enough to keep them outfitted in the newest equipment.

I'd also expect the commanders under farsight to share his seemingly single minded determination. The events surrounding Farsight's leaving the Empire and the accounts of his previous battles shows a determination above and beyond the norm. It would be a fair bet IMO that his officers would share his mind set.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 05:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

i do stand true to the maxim that Tau don't kill Tau- ideologically i think it makes sense and I think that it makes the Tau have a truly unique edge in the 40k universe as they don't solve their problems by killing one another- no, they have to engage eachother through their ideas and actions.

now, you've both brough up a lot of good points- but i should say that this is not at the founding of the Enclaves, but instead right after the engagment at Arthas Moloch- that means there still flying through space on pre-forgeworld esque ships.

And Tyndmyr- i like the fluff aspect more then in-game terms, and i agree with the hardship at maintaining technology.
Old 30 May 2007, 05:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Precisely, which is what I was going for. Despite it being before the founding of the enclaves given Farsights nature in the little story he has I bet his fleet would always be on the move, at the forefront of the fighting and not stopping long enough to upgrade to the newest equipment very often and during campaigns repairs would be prioritised for the Crisis teams over anything else, giving his force a more crisis heavy feel despite the equipment he did have access to at the time.

Old 30 May 2007, 05:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

mmm, good point- but what about auxileries? it says that he used Vespid in conjunction with Kroot in his engagements
Old 30 May 2007, 06:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
mmm, good point- but what about auxileries? it says that he used Vespid in conjunction with Kroot in his engagements
That's true but just goes to further support his constant mobility. Staying ahead of the main Tau forces at the forefront of the fighting constant reinforcements would be harder to come by than more readily available auxilaries.

For instance Brightsword used whatever means he had at his disposal, not necessarily relying, or waiting for, the rest of the Empire to catch up. Instead gathering what auxilaries and forces he could. Since he was apparently a student of Farsight I would expect Farsight to have acted in a similer, perhaps even a more dramatic way. However when cut off from the rest of the Empire and without auxilaries to make use of, Farsight probably now makes use of other Auxilaries such as Gue'vesa, or whatever he can find.

Since Farsight appears to have been so determined in his campaigns he probably wouldn't let something as negligable as cassualties slow him down too much if he could avoid it with alternative replacements or reinforcements.

Old 30 May 2007, 08:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Socky

Perhapes you can assume he lacks heavier armour, because it is expensive to maintain and create, hence the realiance on battlesutis to fill the role, he possibly lost alot of them during fighting. He isn't technological backwards, but just wont have resources to devote to new technologies, he most likely has loyalists in the Tau empire, willing to deal with him, with secret desgression.

Farsight makes use of what he has, and is probably alot more caring for his soldiers and is less likely to throw them away in a pointless battle were retreating would be more feasible. I assume he makes great deal of use of human auxillaries.
Socky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 09:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Honestly, I'm just not a very intelligent or creative enough person to write fluff. I mean it's cool that people are that into it and know enough about the background to write their own fluff material, but 40k is just a game to me, really. I've read the codex and I like what's in it, you know it'd be pretty lame if they just said "this is Chaos", or "this is Tau"...but I dunno, I've just never liked fanfiction that much...

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 09:15   #10 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Would you be intrested in something like availability of certain equipment to farsight due to technological problems/lack of forges/factories and etc.
I started to work on this some time ago and i`m like 1/4 done here is a small sample of it.

My few ideas about technology available to farsight.

His fleet had some good share of Fio , as any Tau fleet. Thus he is lacking support facilities to produce more advanced equipment.In fluff it is said that he has only few colonies under his comand. Farsights engineers have all blueprints but they are lacking forges/factories to produce more advanced weapons/vehicles.
Then again Fio is considered as best scientist comunity in world of Warhammer 40k.
They are quite innovative and most of all they fully understand their work. Fio are creators , inventors , researchers and builders. Lets use rating system from 1 to 10. Where 1 is most basic technology while 10 is Special Issue equipment. This rating will also include Farsight enclave ability to produce such equipment.

Pulse Rifles / Carbines , the mechanics of gun itself isn`t too complicated , easy example Koort rifles could be easy adjusted to use pulse round.
Pulse Rifle/Carbine Rating : 2

Burst Cannons , while operating on same basis and ammunition type as Pulse Rifles they are more advanced.
Simple example from our world Pules rifle would be an AK-47/M-16 and Burst Cannons are equivalent to our Miniguns http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minigun . Advanced loading/stabilizations mechanisms require more resources and quite precise tools.Due to SMS needing more resources , having problems with re supply i see most of farsight vehicles using Burst Cannons instead of SMS . Devilfishes with 3 Burst Cannons , Broadsides using twin linked Burst Cannons instead of SMS as their anti infantry weapon , that is quite possible for Farsight Enclaves.Considering Farsight is fighting quite big amount of poorly armored infantry (Orks , IG`s) Hammerheads using two burst cannons and one MK 1 Burst Cannon Turret could be devastating against such foes. There is also possible variant of Broadside exchanging its twin linked railguns and mounting in their place Burst Cannons from MK1 Hammerhead Turret.
Burst Cannons Rating : 4
MK 1 Hammerhead Burst Cannon Turret Rating : 6

Inducted Plasma Technology, Fio has mastered IPT and made it reliable and stable. Pulse round and plasma rifles are examples of this technology. Pulse round are being mass produced and dispatched to basic troops and Auxiliaries.
Plasma rifles are awesome crisis weaponry and while difficult to produce I`m sure Farsight himself would ordered Fio to put more taupower (manpower just seems not right here) and resources into their production.
Mark 1 Hammerhead Plasma Turret , this might be popular among farsight enclaves due to fact that Linear Acceleration Technology is quite advanced and complicated so most of Farsight Hammerheads will sport such turret.
Overall this is gonna be technology with most factories supporting it and dedicated to production of componets/ammunition/sub systems etc.
Quite propably for Fio it gonna be easy to set up small facilities producing Pulse Rounds behind front lines to support basic needs of troops.This is next argument to see Burst Cannons widely used in Farsight Enclaves.
Pulse Round Rating : 2
Plasma Rifle Rating : 5
Plasma MK1 Hammerhead Turret Rating : 7

an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote