Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How large is a sept?
Old 30 May 2007, 01:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default How large is a sept?

I mean, we can see roughly how large a cadre is, and with most armies, like say, SM, its possible to get a pretty fair idea of how big the chapter is, and what models you'd need to represent the whole thing or a company of em(much more acheivable), but how big are the various tau septs?

I mean, clearly, they're anything but small, and they have to vary in size significantly, with the first sphere ones tending to be the largest, but how good of an indication do we have, oh fluff-meisters?

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 04:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How large is a sept?

cadre sizes vary tepending on the mission. Cadres usually originate from a single sept- true, but it is not unheard of for them to have members from other cadres. There seems to be the basic operating unit- one hundred members- which all septs adhere to- the only thing that varies is the style of command. Additionally it should be noted that anything larger then your basic cadre is quickly broken down after a mission is accomplished.
Old 30 May 2007, 04:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah...but how big is the whole sept?

That's the sticky bit. Im most interested in the Sac'ea sept in particular.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Old 30 May 2007, 04:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

A Sept is a collection of heavily populated star systems centered around the Sept center which it takes it's name- thats why the borders are so large in the codex book.
Old 30 May 2007, 04:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

But...how many fire caste does it have? Roughly how large is the army?

Old 30 May 2007, 05:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

varies. Your thinking in too-human ways. The Septs don't seem to have 'standing' armies that station themselves in static patterns. T'au Cadres see as much action as others, but if your thinking of actual numbers- I have always been under the belief that the populations between the castes are relatively the same with the exception of the Ethereals perhaps. Sacea is known to be the closest thing to a hive world, so up the population- think millions
Old 31 May 2007, 09:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Essentially, "sept" is just the word that the Tau use to refer to an entire solar system's population. How many people do we have on Earth? Just keep picturing that.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 11:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Earth has had a very long time to get to the population it is at now, while the tau have only had a few thousand years and are spread over a much larger area.

I would expect a sept to have about 3-10 million Tau dependant on age, with many others not in a particular place such as the Kor and sometimes Shas.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 12:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
cadre sizes vary tepending on the mission. Cadres usually originate from a single sept- true, but it is not unheard of for them to have members from other cadres. There seems to be the basic operating unit- one hundred members- which all septs adhere to- the only thing that varies is the style of command. Additionally it should be noted that anything larger then your basic cadre is quickly broken down after a mission is accomplished.
As a rule, would it not be more sensible for the Tau, if only on the surface (and without convoluted explanations) to be organised around a basic operating unit of sixty four members, ie 8*8 as opposed to 10*10?
Old 31 May 2007, 12:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korill
Earth has had a very long time to get to the population it is at now, while the tau have only had a few thousand years and are spread over a much larger area.

I would expect a sept to have about 3-10 million Tau dependant on age, with many others not in a particular place such as the Kor and sometimes Shas.
Canada has more people than that, and we've had 150 years.

So I think that's a tad low...

Try a few hundred million at least, for the newer colonies (about the size of the USA), and as large as a billion or so for the older ones.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote